*** Team 3 ***

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by iHunt, Feb 1, 2012.

1. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All college students learn how to procrastinate! Thats one of the biggest things I've learned so far lol.

2. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, I'm the king at it! Get a week to do homework, do it the night before. Have a week to read half your textbook, skim through the night before :tu:

3. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Remember the fron of your degree will say BS...thats not for bachelor of science.:rock:

4. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here is everything I have found so far, minus two dead heads that I will try to get up tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  5. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice man! Congrats!

6. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work fellas. Keep pounding it. Obviously, we're not going to catch Team Lone Star, but the Lollipop Guild can still represent!

I'm off work tomorrow, so I'm going balls-to-the-wall, and accepting nothing less than a 4-shed day. I've got a 12 mile walk sketched out, but hopefully I run into some sheds, get to start gridding, and don't have to go that far.

WGI_0039.jpg WGI_0043.jpg

This seems to be my biggest problem this shed season...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  7. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Fran!

I plan on going out tomorrow to hang a cam and check a cam. May also do some stand prep to cut some of the major issues now.

Do you find most of yours in fields or timber Quik? I've walked the fields and found 7, but can't find one in the timber to save my life.

8. quiksilver

Dislikes Received:
    I try to follow Tim & Troys' collective guides to shed hunting. They have always preached picking the edges, so that's what I do.

If I see a field edge that borders a bedding area, I pick it. Likewise, if there's a hard break in the terrain, a well-defined thicket edge and/or a line where pine turns to hardwoods, I focus there. Ridges, benches, windbreaks...

I rarely find sheds out laying more than 40 yds into a field, but I have to temper that by saying that we really don't have a lot of huge fields in my neck of the woods. Everything is so hilly that most fields are long and narrow, sometimes almost snaking through the geography, with a lot of edge features. Many of the fields that we shed hunt near are barely 100 yards wide, bounded on all sides by more woods, houses, roads, etc.

As far as open timber goes, we find a VERY small percentage of our sheds in these areas. Here again, maybe we don't find many because we're not looking there.

I don't have a lot of time to shed hunt, so when I go, I hammer the most high-percentage honeyholes that I can. I almost run from sheddy area to sheddy area, so as to not waste any time shredding through areas where I know I'll be lucky to stumble onto something.

I hope that makes sense.

9. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    It makes sense.

I've mainly just grid searched the fields (mostly winter wheat, the sheds show up in the green fields), so I think I'll go back to my main piece tomorrow and re-walk all the edges, and maybe the first 10 yards in?

10. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kansas is a little different than where you guys are, but I have only ever found 2 sheds in a field. The rest were in draws where they travel between the fields and bed, and in the nooks and crannies of the draws where they bed. I occasionally find a random shed in the middle of a pasture, but those are few and far between.

11. mrantlerman

mrantlerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1 more, a small 3 pt. Total at 7

12. bwang

bwang Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Found First 2 of the year yesterday.Matched set.a lot of bucks are still holding but im goin back out today. 060.jpg

13. quiksilver

Dislikes Received:
    Bad news, Gentlemen.

I walked my *** off on Friday, and came out with one puny 5x side. One shed. #$%%^#!$!#^*#&%$#!$%$#

14. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Walked some saturday in what we thought was a promising area one guys picked up two and it wasnt me. We were dissapointed. Hopefully next weekend I'll get on the board.

15. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We are updated to this point, I count 44 sheds so far. I am planning on going out after class today, so hopefully I find something.

16. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    Were doing great guys- we only need to find like 140 more and then we'll be in contention, lol.

17. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I might be able to pick up 150 or so next weekend. Like Kevin Garentt "Anything is Possible"!

18. quiksilver

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe I'll take the bandsaw to one of my better sheds, and hack it into 150 pieces. Would that count?

19. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just the pedicle one of the 150 pieces. :bash: I would give you crap about sucking at shedding this year but me seems to be in the same boat. :p Oh wait... you have found more sheds then I have !! :jaw: Life just isn't worth living anymore or hell froze over. With the warm temps, I don't think it is the latter. :sad:

Tim

20. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well.... No luck for me lately, been out a couple times and haven't found a thing. Besides enough cow bones to make 5 anatomically correct bovine skeletons :lol: This heat just takes the drive out of me, climbing all these hills wearing jeans and boots.

I did finally score that skull I found earlier in the season, it scored 135 5/8. Slightly bigger than I was thinking it would score, but I'm not complaining. Found 5 skulls that size or bigger in the past two years. 184", 173", 142", a 140 ish, and the 135".

I did end up figuring out what deer the 70" shed came off of, came from my crooked brow buck I was getting tons of pictures of this season with the buck I shot.

It is the deer on the right, his left side:
    [​IMG]