Black flash conversion?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by illstickya, Mar 4, 2012.

1. illstickya

illstickya Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking at purchasing an ir camera (m80xt) and converting it to black or low glow flash. Can I buy the material to cover the clear lens to black it out? I noticed that the m80xt black flash, which is 50 bucks more, seems to have a deeply tinted lens cover. So this is the question.... can it be done? Anyone have any experience with this?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

2. BlueCopper

BlueCopper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd like to know this as well. The M80 is a great camera other than the ir glow.

3. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You will lose flash range...part of the increase in cost is the increased number of leds to get the range, or the other way is to have a camera that is capable of taking lower light pictures which is also an increased cost. I had asked a rep from Covert if they were thinking of putting lowglow or blackflash on the mp6 and he said they couldn't do it and keep the cam size down and battery life up for blackflash.

4. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    DLC Covert is releasing (soon) a Black60 60 LED's and complete stealth it takes 12 AA's batteries as the 60 LED's take more juice to fire up. Should be a great camera.

5. leadoperator

leadoperator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to convert a red blob camera to black flash all you need to do is buy a black flash extender or booster like this 1: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251007267564?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

This 1 is wireless which means you can actually have the black flash booster itself up to 50 feet away from the camera and transmitter. You put the transmitter over the sensor on the camera and just tape over the rest of the remaining ir's.

6. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The m80 black flash like you say is just a black lens over the std ir flash it's like buying a set of sunglasses. Maybe you could buy some dark plastic and cover it yourself,or just buy a blackflash cam and be done with it. I would wait and buy a dlc cam myself or a bushnell blackflash.

7. illstickya

illstickya Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah...I bought a Bushnell black flash and really like it. Photos are somewhat dark, but to me, it's worth the tradeoff. I was thinking about window tint. Could that conceivably work? For example, limo tint. You cannot see in, but can easily see out. Guess I can just do some experimenting and find out!

8. BlueCopper

Dislikes Received:
    I was just thinking of doing the same thing. I'm sure it won't be near as good as the black flash cameras but better than nothing.

9. SugarCreek

SugarCreek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You may try a Scoutguard SG560K-8M, which has a black IR and Long Range altogether.

10. BlueCopper

Dislikes Received:
    Well 20% window tint had little to no effect at all. Guess I'll be taping over the led's and living with bad night pictures.

11. leadoperator

leadoperator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Even if you use a 5% vlt you wil need 40 to 50 layers of it and then your gonna have to deal with the pics getting grainy.

12. illstickya

illstickya Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I don't understand. For example, the low glow (m80), when you open the cover, there is just a black cover that literally comes off of the normal LEDs (assuming they are the same). What is the black cover made of? Am I being misled?

13. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    the leds are covered with a filter for a certain wavelength of light...for the IR its around 940nm...its not just a shade of gray or black....What leadoperator said is the way to go...spypoint and uway both have good remote slaves and you basically block off the old leds altogether tho get rid of the red blob.