Shame on my local sporting goods store...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Illinoishunter102, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well i just got back from my local ****s sporting goods, i went to buy some workout equipment and i thought id glace at some hunting gear- well the hunting section is now totally gone... :throw: im pretty upset to say the least but my main concern is why they got rid of it? It seems to me like more and more people look at hunting like its something outta this world when in reality, its been here since the day earth was created.... thought id vent about this.

2. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I remember when ****'s hunting section looked reputable. Gander mountain is slowly heading that direction too. They had so little hunting stuff this year at Gander that they had all camo for the year (lightweight, midweight, heavyweight, waterproof) on display in a section that you could get through in about six paces. The fishing section, which was even bigger is starting to downsize too.

I don't even like going to any of the big box stores anymore and that includes Cabelas. Used to feel like I could walk through them and find something I needed. Now I end up ordering most of my stuff online, occasionally, I can get a better price through the box stores, but I have to pick it up at their store to save myself any cash.

The worst part is I've only been hunting for five or six years. That's a short time to go downhill IMO.

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well the reason your not seeing anything @ ****s is because of season change everything is going towards camping and fishing. maybe spring turkey, i was at the ****s here in my area today and they basically had nothing but a lil bit of clearance and spring turkey stuff. I remember 20 years ago when i first started hunting you only got gear at the local sporting goods store. Sadly enough that store isn't around anymore.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  4. timmy_ar

timmy_ar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At our nearest ****s, they have their own hunting section that stays year round. Doesn't matter season or anything. Always have archery, guns, clothing, etc.. They even carry treestands and groundblinds in one little area all year. Kinda weird that they would do away with everything in your store.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe ****'s got rid of hunting altogether - they most likely just put it all up to make room for the Spring stuff - fishing, camping, etc.

6. Illinoishunter102

Dislikes Received:
    The store has always had all of the hunting gear out anything from calls to large 2 man tree stands and ground blinds, 365 days/ year. Its just strange that now its all gone...

7. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rule number one in retail, don't have stuff on the shelves that isn't selling. This time of the year is geared toward other things that people are looking for in a store like ****S and the more space they have to sell what is selling the more they make. I'm pretty sure they will be back in full swing in 6 months.

8. Illinoishunter102

Dislikes Received:
    I hope thats the case, they would actually have some pretty good deals on the hunting gear there.

9. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The lack of sporting goods existed in both Gander and ****s here from three weeks before the season till about midway through. At the ****s, they started off with little and before gun season even got in swing, their snowboarding gear overflow had starting taking over the section.

They did have some ammo at the ****s near me, if I was in a pinch, I'd be willing to spend the extra 10%

My Wal-Mart had a more impressive spread with a greater variety of goods than either Gander or ****s. When they opened a ****s about five minutes from my house, I was stoked. Between the size of the section compared to the rest of the store and the looks I got from the suburbanite moms buying their kids soccer cleats and themselves yoga pants, I might as well have been in the dirty magazine section of a Barnes & Noble with my pants down.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They are building a ****'s in our town right now. It looks smaller than average. I hope they have the hunting section in it because we only have Wal-Mart. They built one in Liberty, Mo. that doesn't have a hunting section at all. I asked an employee and he said that since there was a ****'s about 8 miles across town, they didn't build a full sized store.

11. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I posted about the blow out sale ****s sporting goods store was having in December, sorry you didn't catch it then. Depending how sociable you are with the manager you maybe able to gain access to those still left over material from last season in the back of the store.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  12. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ours still has some (very little) archery section left. They have a few bows and x-bows in stock and some targets. They have a few minerals and deer attractant left on the shelves. I bought the next to last cheap hang on (when they go back on sale for the 2 for $70 I'll be picking up more) they had in stock. They have some of their blinds and turkey stuff in but now tree stands.

Gander has left over tree stands, some 2012 bows, bunch of clearance archery stuff, some deals on a couple of trail cams.

Bass Pro, that's where it is all year long here for hunting stuff.

My archery shop is where I have started going for everything archery.

13. jakeratt

jakeratt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most of these guys are right. I am the Manager of Camping at Scheels in springfield Il. Most IL people have never heard of a scheels but it is an all sports store you name a sport I bet we have the gear for it. We have hunting clothing YEAR ROUND. we even Carry Sitka year round with season changes also you ought to look us up if you are ever in the area. most people say it takes around 3 hours to get threw the upstairs alone. The store is 260,000 square feet

14. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My local ****'s has a decent selection of stuff during season, but it gets pretty thin once it ends. The closest Gander Mountain to me has a great hunting selection, little pricey, but a good selection. I usually order all my stuff through my local bow shop and give them the business. Plus, I've bought so much crap from them they give me a little price break.

If I want a serious selection of hunting gear to look at, all I have to do is drive 1 1/2 hours to Harrisburg area and I have Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, Lancaster Archery, Keystone Country Store and Kinsey's within a short drive from there.

15. karrick

karrick Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been to this store in IL. it is big and to me I like it better then Gander up there. As someone who went in to look around I did spend some money but not that much. I was more looking for fishing then hunting at the time. If you are in the Springfield area I would check them out. To me this store compares really well with Bass Pro. I like Bass Pro for a few reasons for the fishing stuff if you can get the right person. Stuff for my bow I will go to my local pro shop. All I know scheels was impressive to me. I have never liked ****'s or walmart for that matter.

16. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most stores do not have the money to keep everything stocked, every day. You have to spread your spending limit from season to season as to what is selling.

I'm out of Caldwell shooting benches and elk calls, it's march.. What should I order?:poke:

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never shopped at a Scheels, but I did my 2 trail cameras online from them at a great price. I've never been a big fan of ****s. Seems like they are well overpriced on most items, but it will be nice to have real sporting goods store in town once ours opens up.

18. DrawBackBowhunting

DrawBackBowhunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ****s sucks. doesn't have crap for hunting...gander is too pricey, I am kind of interested in this sheels store. Cabelas online is the way I've been
    doing things.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  19. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ****s will have all their hunting stuff towards the end of summer. Immediately following the season, they clearnace most everything off to make room for the new lineup of products. This is a great opportunity to get some great deals. I got some very good winter camo that I've used for years for $70 each piece. I get thier hang ons, $35 for 2. Thier climbing ladder, $35. I even got one of their climbers for $70. Sure it's the house brand, but it works, and it works well.
    There's still a lot of stuff I go to my local shop for, but when it comes to stands and camo, if you keep your eye out, there are great deals to be had.
    Don't worry, they're already starting to restock.

20. jbone302

jbone302 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's just a seasonal thing. My daughter plays travel softball. Here in Ohio she plays year round with playing indoors in the winter. Good luck finding something softball related in Jan here in Ohio. Simple supply and demand. Little demand so why take up shelf room