Turkey mouth calls for a novice

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by chickenmcnasty, Mar 2, 2012.

1. chickenmcnasty

chickenmcnasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all,
    Just curious about a good all around call for a novice caller. I can do the basic sounds but im still not very proficient. I would also prefer to avoid any of the primos calls. Any suggestions you guys have would be much appreciated. Thank you

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

2. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Try the Primos calls with the built in dome! I actually use the Primos triple bat cut youth call! I have a small pallet and by the time I trim a normal call there is nothing left, LOL
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  3. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    OOPS You said avoid primos calls!! There should be others out there with a dome!

4. fornelli

fornelli Newb

Dislikes Received:
    OP, I too am a novice and am wanting to try out a mouth call so am just curious why you want to avoid Primos...?

5. badgerboi21

badgerboi21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are numerous calls on the market that are about as good as the next one. As with anything you want to be good at I think it comes down to practice and repetition.

I am particularly fond of the Zink calls. I think they make a quality product.

6. nate

nate Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what you have against Primos. I think they make quality products and I really like their Turkey calls.

7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using mouth calls exclusively for the past 5 years and have gotten pretty decent with them. Regardless of the brand, make absolutely sure you get the call to fit properly. It was the most difficult thing for me to learn, knowing what a properly fitted call feels like in your mouth. Basically, it boils down to trimming the tape on the call just enough so that the call, when pushed against the roof of your mouth, seals and does not move. If the call is bobbling around while you try to call, its not fitting correctly.

For a beginner, get a standard two reed call. No cuts or V's. Its the easiest calls to learn on and I still use one a lot myself because its easy to use once you get the hang of it. I tried those dome calls mentioned and honestly, they just feel weird in your mouth.

My absolute favorite call brand right now is WoodHaven Game calls. I actually am very good friends with a guy who is on their pro staff and he gave me some calls to try a couple years ago. All three calls were 3+ reeds. I told him that I didn't know if I'd be able to use them very well because of the aggressiveness of them. He told me to just try them and winked.

I was astounded from the first time I used them. They use a different type of material for the reeds and they're much easier to blow. Not only that, the reeds don't stick together very easily and last longer. They're a little expensive in comparison to the run of the mill calls like HS Strut or Primos, but the sound quality and ease of use of these calls far outweighs the price IMO.

8. chickenmcnasty

chickenmcnasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I liked primos gear and own quite a few of their products. But after the "huntin the truth ministries" issues i feel like i shouldnt continue to support their company. It's a personal choice that doesnt have anything to do with the quality of what they offer.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

9. nate

nate Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I understand. I didn't know about the ministry thing:rolleyes:

10. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A few years ago I went to having my calls custom made and will never go back If your interested drop me a pm and I will give you an email address

11. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use the dome too I think it is one of the best out there.
    By the way crick big mitts small pallet hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :dan: hahahahahahahahaha:rock::evilgrin:

12. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started with a Quaker Boy Twin until I became more proficient. I still pick one up on occasion. Killed several birds using this call.

13. bowhunter18

bowhunter18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Son of a :bash: :tu: