bow is jerking to the left.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jbone302, Feb 27, 2012.

1. jbone302

jbone302 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Let me explain first I am new to archery. Been shooting my boy for about 2 weeks now. The one thing I have noticed is my bow is jerking to the left when it fires. Is this normal? I have tried holding it tighter, only using palm and thumb/index finger and many diffrent ways all with the same outcome. Is this something I will just need to get used to? Thanks for any help guys.

2. gummy034

gummy034 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What do you mean by jerking to the left?

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you're torquing your bow. What kind of bow is it? Fill us in with its stats (model, poundage, DL, etc.).

I use an open grip, similar to the image below...

[​IMG]

Gripping tighter will definately hurt your form.

4. okdeerhunter

okdeerhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Could be the draw is to short an when you release an pull through the shot your extending your arm. Another thing it could be is your trying to watch where you hit an pulling the bow out that way

Sent from my hand held hunting device

5. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I am with Fitz on this one as I have done the same thing in the past.
    Gripping my bow to tight instead of keeping it nice and relaxed. Remember to push and pull lightly and you
    should be fine.

6. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to go with Fitz on this one. I was gripping way to tight when I first started and "moving" my bow out of the way to see where the arrow was flying. I now shoot with an open grip as Fitz does and with both eyes open. The eye thing allows me to watch the arrow flight without dropping my bow arm or anything.

7. jbone302

jbone302 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's a redhead xps 32. I got it used on here. Great shape set at 60lbs with a 28 in draw. I use a tru fire hurricane release. . I have tried using an open grip but still felt it slightly. I was measured for my length at local bow shop at 28 and that is what I had him set it at. The first day I put a sight on it I was just excited to my target. Now I can get a 3 in grouping at 20 yrds. After I got some help sighting in my bow I can't put it down. I even set up a 35' shooting lane in my basement. How do you use both eyes with a peep sight?

8. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It takes some getting use to. Its hard to describe but, once you try it a few times and get the hang of it, it's hard not to any more. When I first started doing it, I would keep my left eye ( I am right handed) closed until I got all my anchors lined up. Then open my left eye, aim and shoot. Like I said it is hard to describe. Some people shoot with the non dominant eye slightly closed.

9. jbone302

jbone302 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can't wait to try that tonight.

10. rtaylor

rtaylor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It could be a little target panic as I do the same thing. To remedy I get really close to the target and practice shooting with my eyes closed. Doesn't matter where your arrow hits. Try shooting this way 20 or so times and see if it helps.

11. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive always shot with 2 eyes open, bow, rifle, shotgun. i dont see how people shot with just 1 eye open. Also using a wrist sling gives me more comfort with a light open hand grip. If you arent using one i would try it out.

12. jbone302

jbone302 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a wrist sling on it but haven't used it much. I have been trying to get in the habbit. I will try all the advice tonight after I get home. Thanks for being so patient and informative. I'm sure there will be plenty more "silly" questions as I keep going.

13. jbone302

jbone302 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haha well I tried shooting with my eyes closed up close. (shooting in basement) Tonight I will be replacing an outlet and junction box. Opps. Too close. After stepping back and relaxing I shot about 25 arrows and the twitch to the left is gone. Thanks guys you are awesome.

14. kanbm

kanbm Newb

Dislikes Received:
    one other thing that might be happening is that if you are not pointing your shoulder at the target (if you are facing the target to square) when you release the arrow your left arm is naturally going to jerk to the left.

15. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you were "peaking" at the target. Keep working on it, and keep asking questions, 'silly' or not :tu:

16. nate

nate Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats hilarious. I'm picturing your face when you saw your arrow sticking out of a junction box. Don't worry, it could have been a lot worse, I know a guy that accidentally ran an arrow through his buddys motorcycle gas tank:lol: