Help with bow setup

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by heath, Feb 23, 2012.

1. heath

heath Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello,

I am new to bows and plan on purchasing a bow in the next couple of weeks. From what I can tell the best bang for my buck is going to be the 2012 PSE Stinger 3G. Everything I've read says to just get the bow and not the RTS package. Since I am a noobie when it comes to bows and accessories I was hoping I could get some advice/pointers on which items to get (I'll be ordering the bow online and probably getting most of the parts online as well since there isn't much selection locally...I'm also left handed so it makes the selection even slimmer).

I am planning on getting the bow from supremearchary.com, has anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally For a rest you're going to want a drop away rest. One of the most popular ones out there is the apache micro. One of my buddies got one last year and loves it. I might get one this year for myself. You're also going to want to get some sights. Do some research online and find out which one you might like the best. Trophy ridge, IQ, Apex, Spot hogg, G5 optix are just a few of the top names around. Some of these things are just your personal opinion. If you have a local bow shop nearby it wouldn't hurt to go in there and see if you can look and possibly shoot with some different sights. Next would probably be a quiver. Any standard quiver works. PSE has quivers that fit their style bow the best so one of theirs will do. Next is a stabilizer. There are many of these out there as well. I personally like the Apache stabilizer. You're going to want one around 4-8" in length. The longer it is the more stable your bow is when shooting, but you don't want them too long buecause you have to remeber you're in a tree and you don't want to fumble around with something big.
    I hope this helps at least a little bit

3. RoyC

RoyC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I agree with the above. I am not familiar with the website you named but you do know that you can go to PSE-Archery.com and buy directly from there also if you do not have a local shop that carries the bow. I also agree that you are probably not going to want the RTS or field ready model. My son bought the Bow Madness XS as a package and we have already changed out the rest to a Trophy Ridge Revolution drop away. As for sights, you will want to shop around and find one that you like. I agree that the quiver from PSE will fit best but others will also work. My son and I both have the Mongoose quiver from PSE. Just my .02, hope this helps.

4. heath

heath Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately there's only a few big box stores locally that even carry bows and some accessories. There selection is very limited and not much if any selection of LH bows (and they're $500+ which is a little out of my range). I plan on ordering next weekend so I'll spend the next week doing some research and reading as much reviews on some of the accessories you all have suggested and go from there.

Supremearchery has the Mossy Oak pattern and is $282.49 and either $7 for 4-7 day shipping or $13.50 for 2-4 day shipping but I saw someone mention the Skullworks pattern and from PSE-Archery it's $299.99 + $22.50 for shipping, so I may go with the Mossy Oak over the Skullworks so I can put that additional $40 towards accessories. Wish PSE-Archery offered free shipping and I'd go with the Skullworks.

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you know what your draw length is? What weight you can/want to pull?

I know you can get a good deal online, but I highly recommend going to an archery pro-shop to get correctly measured, especially if it's your first bow. Plus, setting up & tuning your bow by yourself it tough when you're new and if you don't have the correct tools. There's much more to it than ordering online and slapping some accessories on it.

Just my two cents...

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Also, I'd only use the big box stores as a last resort. Look for an independent archery shop nearby. They tend to be far more knowledgeable than the $8/hr punk at Gander or Cabelas.

7. heath

heath Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Talked to 1 of the best archery pro shops that I found in KY and they recommended going with a Bowtech Assassin since it would last me a lot longer and wouldn't be looking to upgrade from the Stinger 3G in a couple years. Also all the shops I've spoken too don't carry much if any LH selection so I don't really think testing a bow will be an option (most of these shops are 2-3 hours away so...)

8. Corn Fed

Corn Fed Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would not suggest buying a bow online...especially your first. There are many benefits a local shop offers. Most will set your bow up for free if you buy your accessories there. They are very knowledgable and will likely give you some pointers as well. Just fyi...don't plan on buying online expecting one of them to set you up for free. One mistake installing can ruin your investment. You'll wind up being out more $ in the long run. Just my $0.02

9. heath

heath Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to continue doing as much research and reading as I can but from what I've read and seen about the Bowtech Assassin I will likely go with this. I'm going to call next week and find out how long it will take for them to get it in and go pick it up.

10. JJD

JJD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on where you are. The proshop that handles the high end bows where I live acts like they are doing you a favor just by taking their valued time by talking to you. Even on week days when they are not busy. The others handle PSE and thats about it. Nothing wrong with PSE, just did not feel good to me where other brands shot better to "me". Good friend has a PSE and loves his, our body structures are polar opposites.
    I ended up buying at a box store, one guy there was recommended by several bow hunters I know. I believe he did a great job setting up the bow for me. Took several hours. Did not ask him what his hourly wage was. Not saying this is the norm, but it worked out for me.
    Talk to bow hunters in your area and find out who will take good care of you.
    If you buy a bow elsewhere, most shops will still set your bow up, but it will cost you. Buy your bow online and you will likely have to pay someone to set it up or adjust it for you, unless you have a savey friend with lots of time. With that added to the price, how much have you saved?

I too am new to Archery and asked many of the same questions. Fortunatly I had the time to check out every shop in my area and went from there.

Good luck in your search
    JJD

11. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can't imagine buying a bow online. I would highly recommend at least going to a pro shop to get measured for draw length and to see what you're going to be able to pull and see what ATA is going to feel most comfortable to you. Now is the absolute best time to start seeing what's comfortable for you. I wish SO badly that I had bought the bow that I felt most comfortable with rather than what was cheapest when I bought my first bow. As for the original question. See my signature for what I like. Or, here's a link to my review of my new budget bow. http://forums.bowhunting.com/showthread.php?31016-New-Bow-Review-(for-the-budget-archer).

12. Scljrl

Scljrl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have you shot a bow before?? That's the first thing I would tell someone. Everyone is different, so what I like you may not like. You need to shoot as many bows as possible before coming to a decision. That's also where the pro shops come into play. They usually carry a lot of differnet brands, so shoot them all and see what you like.

Good luck.

13. ky_longbow

ky_longbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heath, are you anywhere close to Curtsingers in Danville KY, they carry PSE's and really sale alot of them, they will let you shoot any bow they have and dont care if you stay all day, Joe is one of the good guys and will treat you right,

14. heath

heath Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I went ahead and put $100 down and had Arrowhead Archery order the Assassin in BlackOps 70#, should arrive next Tues/Wed!

15. heath

heath Newb

Dislikes Received:
    After Bowtech took their sweet sweet time shipping my bow to the shop I finally went and picked it up today. They ended up sending the 60# model instead which worked out great because I need to build up my arm strength before I'm able to comfortably draw max weight of 62# without my arms giving out after probably 6-7 shots lol.

Shot probably 20 arrows yesterday...managed to get my forearm slapped twice (which didn't hurt/sting like I was expecting...especially the 2nd time I hit it) so I've picked up an armguard until I have proper gripping down without thinking about it.

Is shooting the best way to get arm strength build up for pulling more pounds or is there any particular exercises I can do with my arms?

16. JJD

JJD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    "Is shooting the best way to get arm strength build up for pulling more pounds or is there any particular exercises I can do with my arms? "

I'm new to bows too. Don't know how shooting would not be best if you have a place to do it regularly.
    If there is someone who's a good shot/coach who can watch you shoot occasionally, they can help you fine tune your form and you will improve with practice. Prevent you from developing any bad form habits while you build up.

If you don't mind my asking, why did you believe you need a 70# bow?

17. heath

heath Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For whatever reason I thought the 70# was what would shoot 333 fps but now I'm aware all Assassin's shoot it but with different grain arrows.

18. JJD

JJD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For a great explanation IBO speeds, what they mean and how they are arrived at, go to
    www.Huntersfriend.com
    and see their compound bow guide.
    Great explanation.
    Did the same thing, went with a 60 - 70 lb bow and set it at 63 lb. Not sure it's the way I should have gone. Thought maybe the day would come when I might want to take a moose or elk and I might want to ramp up the power a bit. Some have said that bow limbs are most efficent at their top weight. Others have said that this is not as true with the newer bows and limbs.

19. Southern Bowhunter

Southern Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I couldnt agree with Fitz more.