Doc's Turkey Feed Block - anyone with experience?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by cooperve, Feb 18, 2012.

1. cooperve

cooperve Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have just a few turkey around my property. I would like to attract and hold them for spring bow hunting. Has anyone used the Doc's turkey feed blocks and improved the turkey population on their property?

2. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Illegal here in WI

3. MN_Whitetail

MN_Whitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to improve the population on your property work on getting rid of predators like raccoons, possums, etc. They are all nest raiders and coyotes are also a danger to turkeys. Create some open areas for them to get sun and strut around in. Habitat improvement and predator control is more long-term than a feed block.

4. flystraightandtrue

flystraightandtrue Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    X2... usually habitat improvement will make a huge dent, if not eliminate the predator problem as well. If they have a place to hide, they dont have to worry about predators as much.

5. cooperve

cooperve Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know there are a few coyotes. There is plenty of cover. My 24 acre mostly wooded property is full of multi-flower rose and the neighbor has about 100 acre the length plus of my south property line that hasn't been bush hogged for about 3 years. I saw 4 turkey once squirrel hunting and got one on my trail camera this fall. Seems like there should be more turkey? Never seen any coon or opossum, but got a couple coon pictures on the trail camera.

6. flystraightandtrue

flystraightandtrue Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do your woodlots or the surrounding properties have mature timber with mast producing trees? If not the birds might be somewhere else. Talk with your neighbor and see if he would start a rotional disking plan in the area he hasnt mowed so you can get varying stages of growth every year.