Starting a new plot

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Arkansas countryboy, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Arkansas countryboy

Arkansas countryboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This plot is in the middle of are woods where most of our deer come from. So I thought I would plant something for them through the summer. This is before pictures ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329619346.833958.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329619376.088485.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329619392.532425.jpg
    Im thinking of plant clover and some oats it there. I will post some more pictures of it tomorrow. We got it cleared today and its looking good so far.

2. Arkansas countryboy

Dislikes Received:
  3. MD hunter

MD hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    get to work! best time to be out there

4. captain71

captain71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  5. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    your biggest concern should be the canopy above the open ground. Judging from the amount of leaves on the ground and knowing they are oaks. It looks like the canopy above may be awful thick. If the area doesnt get a minimum of 4-6 good hrs of sunlight a day, its going to be awful tough to get a clover patch going. You may try hinge cutting some trees that are around the plot to allow for more sunlight to enter, while dictating where the deer enter end exit the plot as well as allowing for more cover. And then of course lime and fertilize as needed after soil sample

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    All of the advice was spot on but the bold part is key I believe. I've even sacrificed some pretty old oaks in order to get sun in...however in those cases there were many oaks and losing 1 or 2 out of a dozen wasn't a big deal. If you can open up the southern side of the plot the most it will get the most sunlight. Also like stated hinging is almost priceless when it comes to accomplishing less canopy, more deer browse and controling deer movements.

7. Arkansas countryboy

Dislikes Received:
    After pics, we still have a lot to do. We will be getting a tractor in there next weekend to get some trees down. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

My question is should I make it bigger? Will the deer eat on it so much that it will die down?

8. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    The size of the plot depends on so many different variables, cost being number one, but also how many deer density, what you plant, (although clover may be a good bet because it needs little maintenance and last for up to 5 or more years, dpending on type and how well you take care of it) the purpose of the plot, I could go on and on. For a kill plot it may be a good size to start with although if you can afford it I'd make it bigger (judging from pictures). Maybe start with a third of an acre. Keep in mind the shape of the plot as well if you do decide to go bigger. If you go with a round shape there may be spots where the deer are out of bowrange the entire time while feeding. Try and come up with a shape that allows for hunting in different winds, think about where the deer will most likely come, try and think of as many variables as possible to make the food plot as successful as possible. The possibilities are endless, and you'll learn as you go.

9. Arkansas countryboy

Dislikes Received:
    Ok thanks! I plan on only hunting this plot A couple of times. I making another one a little bigger behind it.