New to bowhunting, any tips?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by TheSlayer13, Feb 17, 2012.

1. TheSlayer13

TheSlayer13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    All my friends talk about how great bow hunting is. What is some good equipment I could get for reasonable pricing for a quality product?

2. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd look at the G5 line of bows. I bought a Rogue and it's been great. That being said the used market is full of good bows at great prices. But, it doesn't take much to get a deer. The main thing is to practice! Shoot till you think your shoulder is going to fall off then shoot a little more. You'll be all the more successful.

3. Lynx

Lynx Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Whats your budget?

I shoot a HOYT RAMPAGE XT, and it's an amazing bow for the price!!
    This bow has a midrange price tag, but is definitely a high end quality bow:)

4. bone8collector

bone8collector Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There are some great quality bows for sale right here on the forum,check them out everything is usually high quality

5. Lynx

Lynx Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Also heard allot of good things about the Bowtech assassin RAK package, which doesn't cost too much.

6. jbj0120

jbj0120 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mission Bows....Great Quality...Great Price...You wont be disappointed

7. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    The Mission line up, Diamond package or the Asssasian package would be a great start! I would recomend starting with fixed blade broadheads and a decent arrow weight. Welcome to the wonderful world of Bowhunting :ninja:

8. TheSlayer13

TheSlayer13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really have a budget I guess. I know that everything has a price on it, but I'm not sure if I'm fully commited to doing it. I guess i would spend around 500$ or so...

9. Lynx

Lynx Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, i think the Assasin comes fully equipped for 599$

After trying out the Bowtech Assassin & the Hoyt Rampage XT, I think this guys reviews are very reliable. But I'm also sure that you can find a very decent used bow for 500$

But check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg3VpKaxwRA&feature=related

10. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    yep ... don't have 19 kids ... :D

11. Buck Commander

Buck Commander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was just about to say check out the Assassin package but you guys beat me to it!

It's a GREAT starter package or could even be an upgrade in a lot of situations. Bowtech makes great equipment and their customer service is great.

12. Downeast

Downeast Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    PSE Stinger or the Brute are in that price range and both are good bows

13. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The best thing I can or most anyone else out there can tell you is find a local pro shop, IE archery shop. If you have more than one, go to everyone in your driving distance. Not basspro or any other box store. Yes, you can on occasion find a good pro tech there but, not usually. Big box stores are good places to get misguided and misinformed. Once you find a decent shop, let them know your budget, have them measure your DL (draw length this is very important), have them show you what they have in your budget and handle the bows first. If you don't like the bow to start with in your hand, it doesn't matter how the rest of it feels. When you find a bow that is in your price range, you like the way it feels, have them set it up for you and have them show you how to shoot it. Shoot everything they have in your price range. Go to as many shops as you can. You will know when you find your bow and your shop. AS EVERY SINGLE QUESTION THAT COMES TO MIND!!! If you cannot afford a new bow right now, a lot of shops should have or should be starting to get in some good used equipment. It is tax time after all and 3D season is about to be in soon if not in, in some areas already. Ask them what they have used.

Here are a few that come to mind that are under $600.00 some are bare bow most can be purchased outfitted ready to hunt for under $500.00 mark new:

PSE Stinger, PSE Brute, PSE Chaos, BowTech Assassin, Hoyt Rampage XT, Hoyt Prohawk, Mission Craze, Mission Venture, Parker is an under estimated starter bow they have some great bows for a great price Parker Blazer $399 ready to hunt, Parker Wildfire Extreme, Diamond Razors Edge, Diamond Outlaw, Bear Encounter, Bear Legion, Bear Mauler, Bear Outbreak.

A bow is only the beginning though and trying to give you all the information in one thread isn't going to happen. That's where the good pro shop comes into play.

Enjoy the experience and learn all you can. Once you get your bow, practice, practice, practice and when you think you are good enough, practice some more because you can never be too good.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  14. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to bowhunting, if you're married your wife will love the time alone, if you have a girlfriend, she'll think you're cheating. No matter the case, it's an addictive sport.
    My best advice, start with something reasonable. I like the Mathews Mission line, PSE line, Bear line and hoyt lines for this. One option is that you could find a nice bow that's a few years old off craigslist. No mattter the case, like stick said above, hang out at the shops and on here. You'll learn loads and there's always stuff to learn.