New bow for budjet

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Matt9589, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im looking to get a new bow on a budget. Around $600 or less. I was looking at the Martin Onza 3. seems to be a decent bow. anyone ever shot one? smooth? quiet? accurate?. any other bows worth looking at? I want to try and stay away from bear as ive had bad customer service problems and other problems with them (Bow quality)

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can get a lot of bow for 600....even more if you grab a 2011 model, or someones year old 2011 that they are trading up for an 12... I have bought a 'new" bow in about 8 years....At least that's what I tell my wife.

3. Mogensen

Mogensen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    North Arkansas atm. as exchange student. otherwise
    Mission by Mathews are excellent bows, i use the Endeavor, and i can't complain, for bow and the pro LD accessory package 550.

4. captain71

captain71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go shoot everything you can get your hands on in that range. Make sure you shoot the Hoyt Rampage XT. I still say it is the smoothest bow at the $600 range. Take a look at the BowTech Assassin also. Very nice bow. It would be number two on my list and at $599 out the door fully outfitted. I personally can't stand a Bear bow, not the newer ones but, that is my personal preference. PSE has more than one good bow in there line up for that price. Mission makes some good ones also. Mostly as I said and others have, Shoot as many as you can and figure out what you like. I say if possible, do not buy one you haven't shot.

6. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    just looked at the Hoyt Rampage XT online. 1 word SEXY!. Like the fact that it can go up to 80lbs as well

7. Jmullins88

Jmullins88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    its an awesome bow. I got it because of the riser design and the red decals. I was not at all disappointed. If you want to give it a cool look go with a red theme to it. Makes it look even sexier. But it is smooth, silent and very accurate. I can go to 60 yards and hit every time in the vitals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Stikman

Stikman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    From what I've shot recently, I'd suggest shooting the Rampage XT if you typically like a Hoyt. Shoot the Mission Venture if you typically like Mathews. Great bows for less $$ without sacrificing pure hunt-ability performance!!!

9. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    have shot nothing but my bear charge (first bow). I really like hoyt tho

10. Stikman

Stikman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot my Hoyt Hyper Tec(2001) since it was new. Borrowed my buddy's Magna Tec with cam&1/2 technology for hunting this last fall. I loved it. I've been shooting every bow I could get my hands on for the last 2 weeks including the Mathews Z7 and Z7 extreme just this morning. After all my trial shoots I'm waiting another month to afford the Hoyt Vector32. It is hands down my personal favorite for under a grand.

11. Buck Commander

Buck Commander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd definitely go for a used bow @1-2 years of age. For $600, as you already know, you can get a killer deal on a practically new bow. If customer service means a lot to you, I'd look into anything from Bowtech. I've never had trouble getting things done with those guys.

12. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Man, that has to be one of the not so smartest reasons I have ever heard of for buying a bow. :dan: Luckily you got a good one though. :lol:

13. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I just smile when I am buying bow that was close to grand 9 months ago, and the the guys happy is he is getting 500 it....not a real good return on it.

On another note, though I am not a ebay fan there are a ton of NEW 2011 bows up there, Elite , Quest ect ect ....just do a search and you could but new bow with the factory warranties for a great price.

14. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I just smile when I am buying bow that was close to grand 9 months ago, and the the guys happy is he is getting 500 it....not a real good return on it.

On another note, though I am not a ebay fan there are a ton of NEW 2011 bows up there, Elite , Quest ect ect ....just do a search and you could but new bow with the factory warranties for a great price.

15. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Be warned, some manufacturers warranties are void if bought online. Even if bought new online. Make sure you go to their website or call their customer service to confirm.

16. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Good to know. although I haven't sent a bow in for warranty work in the last 15 plus years. It not really an issue for me as the warranties is usually of little concern to me.

17. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    x2

You could probably buy last years nearly 1K bow for what your looking to spend... Bows just don't seem to hold their value that well... No different than buying a used car, most don't come with a factory warranty either but doesn't mean you should necessarily buy a new car long as the used one is checked over...

Craigslist and local shops and clubs are good spots to check. Lot of times you have the pro-staffers looking to unload last years models for a fraction of what they cost just a few months ago...

18. rtaylor

rtaylor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A Bowtech Assassin would be on my list to try out. $600 with everything needed to get started and it is very adjustable.

19. Jmullins88

Jmullins88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey bite me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im most likely going to go with the rampage xt. If something in the next 4 weeks looks better or I should say shoots better I will post it on here.