Is this where the hunting show/video industry is heading?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MGH_PA, Jan 18, 2012.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I stumbled across this video trailer on Vimeo, and it got me thinking (although I've admittedly wondered this in the past)...are we, as the hunting community viewers, moving toward desiring more artistic approaches to the portrayal of our sport? I won't even necessarily give all of the credit to HB and Jeff Simpson (at the time), but when HB first came about, their cinematography, music choice, and even the footage they chose to include in their videos (not to mention their delivery of episodes online) really broke away from the traditional videos and shows of the past. Most shows up to that point appeared to be shot on regular "handy-cams," with shaky footage, poor audio, and very little b-roll. It seems now, that many shows have similar characteristics, that while make the show's production really impressive, they MAY be treading on a fine line of all becoming similar.

Take this video that I mentioned:

[video=vimeo;34558365]http://vimeo.com/34558365[/video]

Lots of panning using glide systems, cinematic/soundscape music, sunsets, timelapse, etc. It seems this is THE style of most hunting productions today.

I'm not knocking it. Personally, I love it. I'm a big design guy, so I appreciate all of the composition, shot setup, post-production work (color correction, transitions, continuity adjustments, etc.).

What are your thoughts? I know some prefer the raw feel to hunting footage that focuses more on the hunt, tactics, etc, and less on the storyline, so I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks.

2. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What Jeff Simpson is doing is setting the bar at the highest possible level when if comes to hunting footage. 100% good for the sport. His new stuff is visually breathtaking and in no way hurting our sport.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I give a lot of credit to those on the forefront of changing the way hunting videography is handled. Although, not taking anything away from them, the cost and availability of professional grade equipment is better than ever, which makes it easier for people to achieve this type of work.

I like the direction some shows are heading, but as with anything, there's both good and bad. Some of the newer productions I've seen are taking the "art" concept a bit too far and getting away from the "hunting" part. Also, despite the music, shot composition or quality of footage the host of the show still makes or breaks it IMO. Some people I just don't like watching.

With that said, I look forward each year to seeing what new and innovative filmmaking techniques are next to hit the hunting world.

4. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I personally love this new videography style of filming hunts. I really think it brings the beauty out of it all BUT just like Justin said, sometimes they take the whole "nature shots/ Pre-roll" a bit too far... But I hope more and more TV shows film like this.

5. flystraightandtrue

flystraightandtrue Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i like vids like these, it shows the beauty of nature and that its not all about the kill.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am all for a change from the current inundation of marketing bull $hit we now see at least it was slightly more subtle then usual....I would have to see more then a trailer to make a decision. That said the camera work ect is excellent and hints at more tact and class then is currently the baseline.

7. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Justin...you sure are right about hosts. Im not big on celebrities or wanna-be's. Hunters should be narrating hunting shows/DVD's...not country music singers, businessman, ect. Not that i have anything against these people, it just screams "buy me", not "watch me".

Trial153...Spot on about the marketing too. It gets annoying. Now i know this is how they make there money, but i would rather watch something for the quality of the hunt, shot, back story, and footage then because it features Hoyt boys, lone wolf tree stands and Blake Shelton.

8. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mind any of the shows the way they are now.. and i wouldn't mind if eventually they all end up like this. that is some pretty cool footage and awesome camera work.

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I was thinking when I read the OP before watching the video. It does make it much more affordable and easier, but one still has to know what they're doing to get the final product to look a certain way.

10. Mnardo72

Mnardo72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wish the viewer could see more of the set-up. Show us how high the stand is placed, the concealment, etc - a view from the ground up. It would really help newbies like me learn how the 'pros' set up. Also, the network shows don't show anything after the shot. It is very helpful to see how an animal reacts to the shot, bleeds out, runs, etc. I just wish more whitetail bowhunting videos would take a tutorial approach to the footage rather than the typical excited hunter shot.

11. VERMONTSTER_0341

VERMONTSTER_0341 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've watched most of the HB series and have to say IMO they are a cut above the rest of the industry as far as cinematography goes. HB has definitely rasied the standard!

12. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to hunting as you all know but, I really don't like most hunting shows. I watch some but, just to have something to do when I have nothing else to do. I really enjoyed this video and Rockingchairs video what was it, "September" or "October" ? I can't remember the name but, this one reminded me of his. I would love to see some class added to these shows. It takes a lot of time and effort to have a great hunt so why shouldn't it take just as much effort and time to film and edit a hunt to get great results like this. Plain and simple my opinion is this is great and I would love to see more of this style.

13. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still trying to get my head around the hunting industry. There's things that don't make sense to me and some things that plain upset me.

For me, the story is the most important part. It's the reason I can't get into most shows today. Most are barely informative let alone creative or interesting.

I'll take a few I've seen lately. I can boil them all down into the same thing.

First they setup the hunt:
    "We're at this location, going to try and get on something. Going to try something that goes against our best instincts. Hopefully, we're going to put something down."

Then they sit in a tree:
    "We just saw *blank* walk across the screen. It was a little farther out than we were hoping. We'll stay here and hopefully something else walks along."

Then there's the little bit where they video tape the large number of deer they see but aren't going to shoot.

That night as they leave the stand:
    "Well, he came in close, but it just wasn't going to happen tonight. We're going to have to try a different tactic tomorrow."

Repeat ad infinitum until the deer comes within shooting distance.

Deer finally comes in for shot:
    Music becomes pensive while the archer moves into his position and draws his bow. Then at full draw, it becomes quiet. The arrow is released, there's a thwack and a gay (yes I mean it in the non-slang way) tune is played to celebrate as the hunter and his camera man express their happiness and tried a fist-bump or high five.

Hours later:
    They come up on the deer and hoot and holler and look in amazement at the deer.

I'm not saying that any of that stuff is bad, I'm just saying that seeing the same story unfold in nearly the same way again and again is just plain boring for me.

You'll have that though when a large portion of the shows you see are paid for by companies. Those people still might love the outdoors, but they end goal is still marketing.

My favorite series so far has been the web series that Todd from White Knuckle put out.

14. tek4life

tek4life Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Justin is spot on.

I love how it looks and feels to watch. makes you remember those special hunts. on the downside i really like how some other shows focus on the hunting side all the ins and outs (wkp and the blood brothers dvds)

15. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like where it seems to be headed. Much more pollished.

That video was great... then their logo popped up :bash: Not nearly as up to date at the rest of their work :sad:

16. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That was just a big commercial.... Enjoyed it though..

17. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one that caught that:D

18. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's more scripted to me like every-time you hit the treestand a gigantic 10 point or an enormous buck is just over the hill and we as hunters know that but for new hunters it's no-where near that.

They are portraying something that's not factual and getting away from what many of us truly experiencing. Many long hours of waiting condensed into 5 minutes. It's just not like that unless you have those fenced in hunting camps...

Then they don't show the stolen cameras and stands, vandalized property and the hard days work of scouting areas or those people that settle on the smaller bucks and does. some shows show this and when they do it's rare.

Besides who have $12,000 to hunt a 190 class Sunday each week? Just to put one state or area over the other..Really? Hunting shows are loosing me and the ones like Deer and Deer Hunting I can learn and gravitate toward.

19. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, it's not like real life. No one would watch it if it was! Who'd like to sit and watch 10 hrs of nothing, just to se 15 seconds of entertainment. Not me. I get that in the woods. It'd be like replacing the NFL with a camcorder shot of my neighborhood touch football game.

I'd argue that more & more of the shows are showing doe hunts, land managment & have nearly entire episodes dedicated to scouting or shed hunting.

I'm all about the show having content, and I hate scripted reenactments... but if you are going to have a professional show, it should look professional. Even D&DH has made big leaps in the production side of their show.

I'm happy to see the hunting industry embracing a much more professional look. It's kind of like one of those girly movies, where the really nice nerd girl looses the glasses, puts on a dress an finally looks presentable. The result is the same... more action :poke:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  20. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    about only shows I like and can handle: MidwestWhitetail.com (best information out there), MeatEater (Raw hunting/feelings about taking/eating game), and Tred Barta (Stick to the basics, have fun)...don't really care for all the HD, etc...I get better than HD anytime I walk in the woods.

...I seriously cannot stand one more goober fist pumping and yelling "I just smoked him" after shooting a dang deer...