Sharp shooting on forest preserves

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by peakrut, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    True.. but mostly because those parks are up in idiot-land, not because it can't be done. There's no need to close the preserves if they use bowhunters... but of course, first a lot of heads would need to come out of a lot of asses and that's an impossibility up there.

I bow hunt at a park that still allows people to do all their normal stuff there while the hunting is going on.

Not only do we hunters not cost the taxpayers/UofI anything while we control the deer herd... we hunters are required to 'volunteer' at the park before we can hunt. So we save the park money by doing the painting, weeding, log-splitting and such that needs to be done. Sure, plenty of people didn't like it when it started.... but we don't coddle the PC and bleeding-hearts near so much down here. :lol:

2. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    the is a preserve that borders cook dupage and I think kane counties in bartlett that has a drawing for bow hunting. they are on the dnr web site. you can also go to the mchenry county page to find places there to go.

3. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Funny that this thread started today because a buddy and I were talking today about sharp shooting in the northern area of IL. I live in cook county right next to a forest preserve. I always wondered if they sharp shooted here but wasnt quite sure. I believe they do because thats the only way to keep deer densities low and thus I dont see many deer laying dead on the shoulder of the road. I also hunt in Mchenry county, when we bought out property back in 2002, there werent just deer, there were HERDS of deer. Now, im lucky if I see a single deer per weekend. Its just ridiculous. Im pretty disappointed with what the DNR is doing with the deer herd. And like others have said, the hunters should be the ones keeping the population down, not sharpshooters.....

4. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

OK, I think we're talking about 2 different things. Those are "conservation areas/ or state parks", public land for hunting, not actual "forest preserves". Right?

5. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lol. You must wear them panties Peakrut was talking about. :poke:

I always here non-hunters talking about, "Why don't we just let nature take care of the deer" and "We could just spade the does and use that for population control".

What they don't realize is how stupid those options are. Population control by snipers is another one of those stupid options. I wonder sometimes if there isn't a certain amount of appropriation that goes on at the LE level that makes this valuable. The whole, "we're keeping the public safe allowing snipers and not hunters" doesn't make a lot of sense to me. There are a ton of hunters around here that hunt these public parks and have no problems with being smart about how they harvest.

6. Hoythews71

Hoythews71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only place you're going to see deer in our area is down Hunt Club on Tempel land, or in a few random fields that are away from the forest preserves. Most of the deer hunker down pretty tight in the preserves during the winter...if only they knew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. tek4life

tek4life Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    x2

lake and will county both love spending our tax money instead of making money by issuing special hunt tags. I know of atleast one kill session in will county that they dug a hole and pushed 25+ dead deer into it. I really have a bigger issue with cook county since they do nothing to manage the herd. I live 2 blocks from a block of forest preserve and I have deer in my front yard 5 days a week once the summer food sources are gone. On a normal 2 hour shed hunt I will see 20-35 deer in a 1 mile stretch. CWD and blue tongue here we come !!!

8. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I use to live on temple land and boy do I miss it. I still drive down hunt club and crawford all the time.

9. D34

D34 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you guys about the Temple Land. It's like a majestic wonderland as you drive by. I've seen some huge deer out there. I would love to hunt it but realize that it's just a fleeting wish!! Damn you Temple's!:throw: