what stabilizer to use

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by OKhunter, Jan 1, 2012.

1. OKhunter

OKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys I have had my bow for a little over a month now and love it, it is a PSE Stinger with a 28" draw @ 56#'s. I am having a swaying problem at full draw and have had it since i got the bow. I did not have problem with my grouping at 20 and 30 yards but now I am shooting out at 40 and 50 yards and am WAY off target. I am assuming that I need a better stabilizer maybe the 7" octane or the doinker chubby hunter. My question is do I need length or do i need weight. Please give me your suggestions Thanks

2. Robin Egan

Robin Egan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The guys at the archery shop said the bigger the bow, the farther away from the bow the weight should be on a stabilizer. For me, the octane works really well, but the weight is evenly distributed, so may not be so good for the bigger bows. You could try a B-Stinger... it comes in a few different weights. There are a few others as well that have the majority of the weight at the end rather than evenly distributed, but I'm not familiar enough with all the different types to name one.

Our shop let me put each one of them on and try them out before I bought it. I think that was priceless!

3. TKO

TKO Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Check out centerpunchstabilizers.com We can make you any length and design you want. You can also purchase extra stack weights to find the sweet spot your looking for.

4. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When you shoot, are your arrows all over the place on the target or are they hitting on one side or the other? When you get out to farther distances, if there are any problems with your form at all, that’s where it will truly show. Have you only been shooting for a month or just that particular bow for a month?? You could try a stabilizer but fixing your form is free. If you can’t fix it with form, then try spending money.

5. adivo89

adivo89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello guys,

I had a question about stabilizers also. I am new to bow hunting. Just getting into it. I have borrowed bows so far. But when you refer to a stabilizer i assume it helps with steading your aim. With this being said. How can adding weight help? In my eyes the less weight at full draw the easier to hold your position?

6. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A stabilizer on a hunting bow is useless unless used for sound dampening. Save your money and, like has been suggested above, work on your shooting form and a consistant anchor.

7. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    To answer your question even though I realy think it is form considering I went through the same thing after I started, I use a an 8" New Archery Products (NAP) Apache. Talk about sound dampaning. It will shut up a bow as soon as it is screwed on. It does help out a lot with noise. As for stabilizing, I can't tell much difference but as Brucelanthier said, thats what they are made to do. I did feel a slight difference in balance though.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  8. MN_Whitetail

MN_Whitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stabilizers help you stabilize. They are meant to keep you steady at full draw and sound dampening is always an extra feature. I've used Octane and just switch to an 8" NAP Apache and I'm finding that anything around the 7" to 8" range works best for me and my hunting set-ups. Go and try a few and see what you like. There are tons of options.

9. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    Real stabilizers on target bows do that but then they usually add weight way out front and off to the side(s). "Hunting" stabilizers do NOT get the weight any where near where it should be. Even if they did, once you start pointing down out of a treestand you have just changed the dynamics drastically and the weight would no longer be where it is needed.

10. MN_Whitetail

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion it helps even if it is shorter than a normal target stabilizer. I wouldn't shoot without one.

11. Robin Egan

Robin Egan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ditto - mine made a HUGE difference... Now, hubby, on the other hand, didn't notice as much of a difference with or without the one that came on his bow [Diamond Outlaw]. BUT, he does like the B-stinger at 8.5 oz....

12. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    If anything its a mental help. Goes back to if you are confident in your equipment it makes a difference. I don't think it does anything for me except dampen the sound. It probably helps you because you feel like it does. The Apache does an amazing job at that part. Really I use the 8" because I think it looks cool. The 5" does great. I have used it with and without the 3" extension. Oh and I wouldn't hunt or shoot without one either.

13. MN_Whitetail

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe it is a mental thing. The weight that is in the front of the stabilizer, serving as a counterbalance, is what keeps the bow stable when being shot. Af full draw you can feel the weight when shooting with or without one. Some people use one and some don't, but its not all in someones head if it helps or not. They don't call it a stabilizer for nothing. Yes form has a lot to do with accuracy, but having a stabilizer can keep a shooter steady and help him/her focus more on anchor point, stance, etc.

14. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I believe you are wrong and you believe I am wrong. I'm not going to argue but, If you can PROVE your theory go ahead. As Bruce stated above when it is longer and more weight out front then sure it can. Heck get a couple people together and compare their groups with and without, with pics of course. I shoot the same with or without an 8" NAP Apache. Don't matter if I have it on or not. Look at how long the OP has been shooting (I am assuming he has been shooting only as long as he has had the bow) A little over a month. Now take into consideration how long it took you to perfect your form enough to shoot tight groups at 40 & 50yd. You tell me what you think the probability is that it is FORM?????

15. MN_Whitetail

Dislikes Received:
    I never said form was not a factor and I never said having a stabilizer solved all accuracy issues. I'm just saying that it helps. Today's shorter ATA bows/light weight bows do not need longer stabilizers like the target stablizers for someone to be able to notice extra weight out in front of there bow. We are all entitled to our own opinion and you have yours and I have mine. If you don't want to argue than don't fire back with a question.

16. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    What happens to the weight out front when you are pointing down from your treestand? Stabilizers, the ones that work, are made to work when parallel to the ground. Once you are pointing down the weight dynamics change drastically. Regardless of the ATA you need the weight much farther out front to provide the proper counter balance and to really stabilize correctly you likely need weight out to one side. It is ridiculous to think that everyone needs the same stabilization, all directly out front and less than 10", usually 6" or less. If you think a little bit of weight 6" in front is stabilizing then, yes, it is a mental thing.

17. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    We are entitled and as I said you believe you are right and I believe I am right. I agree to disagree with you on this one. I asked the question for an honest answer so that the OP doesn't get a false sense that is proven that it works. Robin said it made a huge difference for her but, not for her husband. It doesn't help me but, it helps you. As far as weight goes, some do better with lighter, some do better with heavier. Either way the less you have wrong with your form the less chance you have to miss your mark, stabilizer or not. I personally think he needs to check his form first then if he still feels he needs a stabilizer go for it. Then again I guess he could buy one and see if it helps. Its obviously up to him though. Sorry for the "fired back" question there even though you didn't answer it. lol I guess I could have worded it a little nicer. Oh and for the record, I didn't see anywhere in any of my post where I may have said or even eluded to thinking you said a stabilizer would correct all accuracy issues.