The Champs, Team 6 - Tineacious

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Iamyourhuckleberry, Jul 14, 2011.

1. nybowhunter17

nybowhunter17 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    good luck to who ever is still hunting and drenman its not your fault atleast you out and tried cant kill em off the couch;)

2. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No worries Matt its been a great season you didn't let us down.

Dave how have ya been buddy? Seeing anything?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

3. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like rizzo posted his buck, it puts us down by around 30.

I still like our chances!

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

4. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, at least we now know the mountain we have to climb. 30 points is a single step...we can do this!

I'm about to get on a plane for home. Texas was a whirlwind. I'll have more to share when I can sit down in front of my screen.

Share with you guys tonight!

5. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Alright guys... 1 deer, just 1 deer and we will likely keep this team together again... Come on men, Lets do it....

Who is still hunting??

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Isaiah, Scott, Dave still have hunting left ....

Will, Tony, NY, Reese, Dren, FEB, Ks, Buckmaster, Colby ... all have you tagged out or their seasons are over ...

7. kshunter

kshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went out Thursday evening to hunt with my brother in law. I saw at least 25 deer in a 2 hour period. There was one 8pt about the size of the one I shot. My only shot was a huge doe but she had a small bb feeding right next to her and I couldn't (wouldn't) take the shot. I kept looking at the little guy thinking someday someone's going to be picking out a spot on you. Going out tomorrow with the bang stick to fill the freezer, bow season is over. Hang in there guys still hunting.

Everybody I wish you all a happy and prosperous New Year! Be safe!

8. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Saw nothing this morning or this evening.............next hunt may be monday afternoon.

Dave

9. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    I am back from Texas. The hunt seemed to come and go in a flash! I guess time does fly when you’re having fun!
    We arrived in Austin on Christmas Night and were greeted promptly in the airport by Tony Sansalone and Rex Kenney (in from New York to hunt predators). I have stalked several times with both these clowns; I knew from the get-go this hunt was going to be enjoyable. My young daughter, Danielle, and my sister, Regina, were along to pursue game with me. We were in Texas to mainly target deer, but “anything legal” (e.g. feral boar, exotics, turkeys, coyotes, mtn. lion, etc) were all legitimate challenges. We were sporting in the hill country near Wimberley, Texas…on private property managed by Tony’s younger brother, Frank. With the recent drought in this region, animals were in dire need of culling. We were given our marching orders and we set out to execute them. We were told, “Shoot whatever you want, but any spike, gone! Any doe, gone! Any mature deer with a small screwed up rack, gone! Pig, GONE! You will be doing us a big favor!”

My sister, Tony and I were going to take turns hunting with Danielle (there with her crossbow) and Tony’s 10 year old daughter, Chloe (hunting with a Rossi youth model .223). We all wanted to hunt with the kids, but we also desired a little “me time” on stand. We felt this would be a great way to get the best of both worlds!

I started Day One with Danielle (Chloe was returning from a visit with her grandparents). During the first sit, we were joined by several deer and turkey. However, nothing presented a close shot (Danielle’s effective range is 30 yards). We had a spike within ten yards of our ground blind, but it was still a little too early…the sun needed to be a tad higher.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gina hunted with Danielle for the evening hunt while I sat tight in a blind being frequented by an enormous feral boar (so the camera said). He didn’t come in, but I managed to arrow a doe. I was instantly surprised by the wiriness of these hill country deer. Man, were they ever “turned on”! A tap, a bump, anything out of the ordinary (arrow being drawn over mole skin) and these deer took flight! I placed my 20 yard pin on the doe’s sweet spot while she was broadside. On the shot, she spun into the arrow. The carbon shaft took her quartering towards me. That's my arrow's exit hole in the photo below.

[​IMG]

Twenty minutes later, I had a spike by three point walk in. I let him relax in front of me. When I felt the time was right I drew my bow. Using the information gather on the previous doe, I placed my 20 yard pin a little lower than normal. I tripped my release and, unbelievably, the buck literally dropped below my arrow-even after intentionally aiming low! I was dumbfounded!

Chloe joined us on Day Two. Without question, Chloe and Danielle will be buds for life. They are like two peas from the same pod! The support they gave each other was incredible.

[​IMG]

Tony was with the girls when Chloe dropped the hammer on a doe 100 yards out. The ice was broken!

I was in a stand frequented by Rio Grande long beards. Tony has a beautifully mounted gobbler in his trophy room. It inspired me to collect one of my own. I never expected deer, but that’s what I got-in the beginning, anyway. A young spike and a 6 point walked in. Now guys, I’ll be the first to admit, I cannot tell an older deer from a younger deer in this region. I am use to hunting 200-300 pound animals up north. A good, I mean a GOOD, buck here weighs in around 150 pounds. A representational buck is only like 100 pounds-half to a third the size of a deer back home. Unless you’ve spent a lot of time with these deer, it’s tough to determine what’s what. At least for me, anyway…

I was eager to place my first archery Texas Hill Country buck in the bag. As chance would have it, the 6 quickly became prey. I drew without incident. I settled the deer between my twenty and thirty yard pin. Whack! The shot was off and it ran all the way home! I was confident the deer was going to expire quickly. He did, within 40 yards. I sat in my tree stand glowing! What a good feeling.

A half hour later, I heard rocks rolling on the hill to my right (I’m thinking pigs at this moment). I readied my bow-a matter of up righting her and clipping on. I sat patiently listening and watching. Then, from my right, in walks a massive eight pointer. My heart started racing (love that feeling)! Moreover, directly under me is an extremely wide seven. I sized the two up and decided to try for the eight if given the opportunity. Ten minutes later, the eight was about to step into my shooting lane. You could tell these two deer were on edge…not sure why other than it has been a long season and they have had many seasons to play this game. I started to draw my bow. I was instantly busted! This wise mature buck pegged me through tree limbs covering his vitals. He whirled and took flight leaving the seven pondering. I started something that needed to be finished. My bow came to full arc. I settle good old 20 on Mister Wide and drilled him! I watched him drop 30 yards up the hill. I was tagged out on bucks! I was thinking, “How could this day get any better?” Right then, a gobbler gobbled! “Oh THANK YOU LORD!” I exclaimed quietly. I knew it was only a matter of time before a long beard presented himself. I readied my bow…and happen it did. Sadly, I was picked from the tree by wary eyes. After several alarm putts, two gobblers cautiously strolled away. I ran out of luck, but was happy with the results of the morning hunt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That evening, my sister arrowed her first feral pig, a nice 60 pound sow. It was a good day on Red Hawk Hill.

[​IMG]

For the morning sit on Day Three, I was with the girls. We saw plenty of deer (there’s an estimate 250 deer per square mile in this area), but nothing came within bow range. Nonetheless, the experience in the blind with these two lassies was priceless! Getting up at 4am and dealing with the night’s chill took its toll.

[​IMG]
    Colby, does she look warm enough?

And hours later when it was warmer:

[​IMG]

Danielle arrowed her first deer that evening while sitting with my sister. A spike gave her the opportunity she was looking for. On the shot, the buck bolted-tail tucked between his legs. Danielle’s shot was too far back according to my sister. The two girls gave the deer extended time before pursuing (my sister is extremely wise regarding shots of this nature). Sadly, the deer made it off our 800 acre parcel and onto an adjoining property that allows neither hunting nor trespassing. We watched as buzzards circle in the sky the next day…from past experience, there was nothing we could do to recover the deer. A little girl was heartbroken.

Day four was slow for everyone. I sat exclusively with Danielle from this point forward. I really wanted both Danielle and my sister to fill a tag. My sib was having a tough time getting on non-wired deer and had yet to kill a buck white-tail with her bow. She took a shot at one on the afternoon sit. It didn’t happen. She didn’t know it; God had plans for her on day five! Dani too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, Texas was everything I had hoped for. The moments spent with my daughter, family and friends were precious! Texas is a great place to take children with any desire to be in the Lord’s outdoors. If you have children or grandchildren, give it some thought. A youth tag is $7 and allows for the taking of five deer per season.

Give em Hell Dave!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  10. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Will
    Great read bud ,good to see you got some man time also. Top it all off, everyone you were with got it done:nana:. Sounds like you had a lot of fun and got to enjoy Gods great creation,the land. I'll be phoning you one night in the next few weeks to start the ball rolling on our Moose adventure in 2113 here and Elk hunt down your way. Oh yeah Happy New Year to all on Team 6. God Bless
    Rockster

11. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Rockstar,

I'll be watching for the call. Happy New Year back attcha, happy hunting my friend!

12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great stuff, Will!!! Wish I coulda been there with you all .... you are livin the dream, my friend :)

13. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks PT, it would have been fun having you in Texas with us. There will be another year...somewhere. And yes, 2011 was very good to me. A lot of hard work and effort paid off. I met some incredible new friends and got to hunt with some incredible old friends. I realized, when my son was born, just how precious life is. From that point forward, I swore an oath to live life to the fullest. I cherish every second I spend in His church, giving, helping, doing, seeing, etc. I give great effort to make a positive difference in lives. Our paths will cross, my friend. I look forward to that day.

Lord, give us this day. Guide Dave's arrow with the speed and accuracy of the mantis. Give Isaiah the strength and cunningness to push Team 6 through to the finish with a deer of his own. Bless my friend Scott, for he is a good man. And Lord, please look after the good folks on this site. Deliver us from evil. Amen.

14. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Amen!

Happy New Year guys.

15. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    Amen

16. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Let's get this place rockin guys! Come on! Here we go Tineacious, here we go!

17. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    maybe this weekend i'll connect! no ball and all we need is one doe right?

18. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    Go get em Isaiah good luck buddy let's keep Team 6 together

19. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Yep Isaiah, one doe puts us back on top. You'll be a hero if you pull this off! Good luck!

20. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Isaiah. Pull us through this late season man!

I'll be back out Saturday afternoon.