New to bowhunting in CA

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Robin Egan, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Robin Egan

Robin Egan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My husband and I have recently decided to get into this sport and spent the afternoon yesterday picking out our compound bows. I ended up with the Bear Apprentice II, and he's deciding between the PSE Striker and the Bowtech Outlaw. He'd REALLY like the Bear Assassin, but we have limited funding... This, not unlike others such as fly fishing, is not a cheap sport to get started with!

We thought we'd start with turkeys and pigs to start with, although hubby would like to eventually go after bigger stuff like elk and bear. We have a lot of practice to do before we can actually go out and try to get anything though...

Although I know this depends on where one is located, I was curious to see what have other new hunters started with?

2. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Starting on pigs would be fun! I wish there were pigs here in the Iowa!

3. Robin Egan

Robin Egan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Set-up an area in the back yard to practice today...
    IMGP0417-2.jpg

2nd set of 6 at approx 17 yards...
    IMGP0415-2.jpg

4. paulgmckavett

paulgmckavett Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love pig hunting we have a lot of them around here or should i say we had :D all i can say is practice practice practice :wave:

5. San Diego Dad

San Diego Dad Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How do you like your bow? I bought one last week, and I like it a lot. Of course, it looks like a toy next to all tricked out bows at the range, but it wasn't $900 either. San Diego Dad

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site :tu:

There are a ton of very knowledgeable folks here, so be sure to ask plenty of questions.

I grew up rifle hunting for whitetail, so they were naturally my first choice with the bow. I've since taken grouse and red squirrels. I'm going after Elk in the Fall of '13 and if everything goes as planned, I'm gonna take a stab at a wolf this Fall here in MN :rock: