Foldback Mittens

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by leinen, Dec 11, 2011.

1. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, i'm looking to get a pair of these gloves for the freezing hunting conditions here in iowa.. I'm talking about the mittens that foldback and have open fingers. What are these called? Who makes them? Pros/Cons. Thanks guys! Nick. :)

2. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair, Bought them for like $8 at Meijer's really warm, we get pretty cold winters here in Ohio but maybe not as cold as Iowa but they have served me well aside from a little bit of stitching coming off that I easily fixed. Cons, when you have them folded back they are really puffy and can be slightly cumbersome but not to bad.

3. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They are called glomitts. I have a cheap pair, but I don't wear them since I got my UA cold gear liners and another pair of bowhunting gloves

4. Matt Long

Matt Long Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought a $25 pair at gandr mountain. LOVE Em, no hot hands needed. Cant remember who made them tho. I got the archer ones. they have a slit in the for your release

5. BowTechnicianforChrist

BowTechnicianforChrist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Base: The Dirty South, Do-Boy: Anywhere they drag
    This question depends on whether your bowhunting or gunhunting. Assuming your bowhunting, there gloves have reaked havoc. The Velcro that holds the top of the glove open often fails, and if it get's caught in your bowstring, best of luck even finding your arrow. This is why you won't see many pro's if any bowhunt with these mitts. It's also why you see Tiff wearing jersey gloves. If you insist there are many makers, the wool one's outperform most.

In 0-30 degree temps a tight set of under armor cold gear gloves combined with a hand muff, with a hand warmer should keep your hands warm. If not, you might want to try zippo's handwarmer, but the foldaway mitts have too many bad bowhunts to tell. If your gun hunting, no need to worry.

Hope this helps, God Bless, Stay warm!

6. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heavy gloves have reaked havoc on my shot. I got a hand muff and a pack of hot pads shake things and have to take my hands out every minute or so, so they don't sweat. Maybe getting a thin pair of cold weather gloves wouls be good for when the deer steps out and takes its time, but in Alabama it doesn't get that bad. I have a pair of glomitts with a magnet to keep the top open and they are super quite and warm, they only come out when I'm hunting with a gun on below 30 deg days.

7. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love these! I have used them forever and can't understand how they can get tangled up with the bowstring? I put heat pacs in them and they keep me toasty warm.

8. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bob-Thomas, what brand do you where? do you know where you got them? i know under armour made a nice pair last year for around $40-$50 with a magnet to hold the fold back.

9. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  10. BowTechnicianforChrist

BowTechnicianforChrist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Base: The Dirty South, Do-Boy: Anywhere they drag
    The only reason I say that is for ponder. Like I continue and will always say, confidance is everything. One simple malfunction of the glove, a limb, piece of pine bark, hooks on armrail, hooks on release, or is not all the way on magnet, you have a problem and that's how they get tangled. It's happened more than once, I have pro's on un edited film I obviousally can't release have these problems. Dang confidentiality agreements, I have a stack an inch thick.

As far as heat packs in your gloves, not something I recommend, but like I say stay with what works for you. I hope you see your deer a hundred yards out so you can dig that out of your glove, flip the cap back, and hope it makes the magnet. That's just me.

Velcro versions are even worse. The other part is movement, getting out of them to make a shot is a pain, at least for me.

IMHO. Just a point to ponder. Stay with what your comfortable with by all means.
    God Bless, Stick a monster!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  11. abates352

abates352 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    fold back mitten or GLOMITTS work great. I have been told the same things, on to bulky, and not trust worth and everything else. My argument is always: i can't shoot at all if i cant feel my fingers. the bottom line is they work well for some, but not all. give them a try and make up your mind on weather they work for you or not.

12. BlondeBomber

BlondeBomber Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the exact same ones. They're nice because you can fold them back for delicate tasks rather than removing the whole glove and you can fold them back when climbing your tree. I use them for bow and gun season and haven't found a reason to upgrade yet. I believe they're made by Outfitters Ridge?

13. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i like the ones that have a thin glove on the inside like some of the guys have said, its nice to pull back the mitt and not instantly loose a finger on the bitter cold mornings and evenings, but yet really thin so you could work a hair trigger properly. this style glove and mitt is the way to go!!

14. Scljrl

Scljrl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  15. Dylan

Dylan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  16. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The velcro spot on the back hurts like hell when you wipe your nose with it !!!!!!

17. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have 3 different pairs of these. All are decent gloves. My largest pair are obviously the warmest. They have a zipper pocket for hand warmers which I don't use because I haven't got cold enough to use hand warmers. All 3 have the magnet as oppose to the velcro. I wouldn't get velcro because of the sound and also when moving through brush you catch unwanted stuff. Also I would get a middle sized glove. My largest one is almost too big for my release. But all in all, just get a warm, comfortable, durable glove that works for you. People have problems with these gloves but I say you can have a problem with all gloves given the right circumstances.

18. nesalt

nesalt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Although these gloves don't come in camo, I found the best flip mitts to be made by Chota. They are called Stow-A-Ways. No velcro or magnets. The thumb and finger flaps just tuck back into the glove itself making them very slim. Very warm also. Worked for me bow hunting.