Another entry and exit route question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by hoytuser, Dec 10, 2011.

1. hoytuser

hoytuser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

The red line is really the only entry and exit I have. That square in the middle is about an acre that I cant hunt. It seems like after the first week of the season, the deer have me figured out. Do you see any other ways I could go in or out? I have gone as far as thinking about going up the river by canoe, but really isnt an option. The area behind the 1 acre I cant hunt, is about 15 acres. It is all CRP surrounded by the trees, and the group of trees in the south east corner is an overgrown gravel pit.

2. MHSfootball86

MHSfootball86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Could you just walk along the river? To get to the stands at the bottom of the picture.

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd definately use that river. Get a small jon boat or something similar and just sneak right in there. Try it a couple of times and I'll bet your deer sightings go way up.

Blessings......Pastorjim

4. BowTechnicianforChrist

BowTechnicianforChrist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Base: The Dirty South, Do-Boy: Anywhere they drag
    The red line is really the only entry and exit I have. That square in the middle is about an acre that I cant hunt. It seems like after the first week of the season, the deer have me figured out. Do you see any other ways I could go in or out? I have gone as far as thinking about going up the river by canoe, but really isnt an option. The area behind the 1 acre I cant hunt, is about 15 acres. It is all CRP surrounded by the trees, and the group of trees in the south east corner is an overgrown gravel pit.[/QUOTE]

If the river isn't really an option as you say, and the piece you can hunt is only an acre, I want to be on the funnel between all of it. While I use them all the time, I hate maps. There are obvious bedding area's around you and the deer are going to move between them. Your going to have your best luck hunting the funnel in the middle of the map, the deer even not rutting will use it to move from area to area. If you can walk directly across that parking lot which looks bare instead of following the red path, and get to the funnel, your in business. With it so close to a residence, the deer will not spook as much as they would in thick cover. If the funnel doesn't pan out, your already there and can quietly re-position into the area's along the river, or staging areas in the cover.

If it's me, I'm not launching boats or canoes for an acre, but the connections between land look good, and I would get in there. Make sure your wind is right, and try to move slow and smooth, and especially quiet. I dislike hunting with anyone who owns a headlamp. I use a single green led streamlight to get in in the morning and out at night, and as long as the wind is right, usually move undetected.

I'm you, I don't hunt this area until Pre-Rut. During this time, and rut itself, bucks get dumb, and deer get curious. Running some good estrous in with you will also disinterest the deer in you, and more in the scent. Chances are there is a monster rocking chair in there, but I would pick and choose perfect times to hunt it. If your not using a climber, you can be even more stealth.

Any pressure in surrounding area's will also push deer through that funnel.

I agree the stealthest way might be coming in from the river, but it's a work vs reward issue, if your going to do it, your prob. going to bump bedding deer, and if they make you, don't give up, they're not leaving town. Set-up and wait a while, even snorts from an alpha doe doesn't mean a person, they snort at any issue, coyote's etc. They'll be back, the question is when. Don't let them see where you setup, don't go near the stand. Simply stay put in the dark, or sit in some cover to break up your outline until the deer are out of sight.

IMHO. Hope this helps. God Bless.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  5. hoytuser

hoytuser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys! The big problem I have is that the deer really use the pinch point at the top durring the off season, but after a few days of hunting, an me using that pinch point, the deer sightings there really go down. They know thaat I cant hunt that small acre spot in the middle, so that little spot is deer heaven. I think they travel along the river on that small spot. I have set up along the river on each end of that acre thinking I will catch them using that, but very seldom see anything come out of there, but thee is a cow path coming in and out of there.

6. BowTechnicianforChrist

BowTechnicianforChrist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Base: The Dirty South, Do-Boy: Anywhere they drag
    Ok more info helps. First, known fact. Deer hate cows. At least all the deer I've talked to.

Try sitting off that pinch point a ways, and move closer during pre-rut. If they already know you by name, you might just have to say a prayer and hope for the best. I'll call some of my deer around there, and see if they've seen you around :)

I joke, I joke

God Bless, hope you prove us all wrong and pull a four legged furry rocking chair outta there!