My first buck: mature Kansas 10 point

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jeffacarp, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Chris Miles

Chris Miles Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A conservaitive guess from the pic. 122 plus the known spread of 24" 146 It's hard to judge by a pic but a super buck man.
    Left side Right side I would age him at 5 just from body size.
    Mainbeam 19 Main beam 19
    G1 4 4
    G2 6 6
    G3 9 9
    G4 6 6
    H1 5 5
    H2 4 4
    H3 4 4
    H4 4 4
    =61 61

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very good point! We've got 1,200 acres in Woodson county, KS and currently I only run 2 cams. Chances are I'm a little outgunned in terms of my deer to trail cam ratio haha!

I guess I should add 98 moultrie m-80's to my Christmas list along with a Mathews z7x.

3. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome reply! I appreciate the detail and I think your score is going to be right on. I'm gonna call my taxidermist today to see if he'll throw a tape on him. I'll be sure to update with the results when I get them

4. HawgNSonsTV

HawgNSonsTV Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Facts are facts!

lol ... They are not MY statistics, just passing on some well known info. The link to the web site with the best info, that I kept just for people like you, is expired. I'll try to find it elsewhere. If you go read the FACTS on the link I provided it will give you some insight. Whether you believe that us up to you ... you know people believe what they WANT to believe. I don't know how anyone could dispute the accuracy of science compared to guess work pictures. Seems like common sense to me but than again "common" is relative.

If you go to QDM web site Talk to BSK is his username Brian is a biologist see what he thinks.

Also you don't send off the jaw bone ... you send off the bottom 2 teeth.

5. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Hell of a Buck,,,very nice!

6. BowTechnicianforChrist

BowTechnicianforChrist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Base: The Dirty South, Do-Boy: Anywhere they drag

Let's Break. Often forums get arguementive, ie the above quotes including capitalization's and common sense, is not necessary. The main use of forums is to get people information that might not otherwise have. I simply doubted your statistics, and still do, but that's nothing personal, nor should it be. I'm sorry if offended you, as is obviousally easily done. My bad, please accept my apology.

Yes, I know Brian and his work. We've hunted some of the land he managed. The accuracy of science compared to pictures was never raised by me, I simply gave a link that may be of help. Jeff nailed a helk of a buck, and seemed very interested in the age of the deer. There is really no "true" science to back up a deer's age, only comparisons done between known scientific strategies, combined with experienced biologists opinions.

I doubt the people I work for, and with, would have any issue with my "common sense" :)

IMHO (In my Humble Opinion).
    God Bless.

7. HawgNSonsTV

Dislikes Received:
    Ok .. no need to apologize but it is real cool of you! Yes you are absolutely correct we are all here to learn, in fact I just learn about what I passed on in 2009. The 1 thing about forensic testing it reported to be much more accurate in the northern states because of the significant change in the season that provide the rings they count much like that of a tree.

8. BowTechnicianforChrist

Dislikes Received:

I'll call Moultrie for you and see if I can't gettem to donate them... it is Christmas you know.
    Yeah right. Get a show with some good ratings and you'll get em, and a pallet of antler king. :lol:
    I joke I Joke.

Hahaha. NICE.
    God Bless.

Shoot, I'd just hope for the z7x.

9. BowTechnicianforChrist

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal. No doubt they can count the rings, I'm just not sure it's the percentage correct you stated. Not a problem, I'm not real big on aging other than knowing it's a mature buck. Isn't it intresting how far deer hunting has come? Game Wardens can DNA test deer from different states, and Forensic Testing made it into aging a deer. It's astounding to me.

In the future, this is the man to talk to, he can get close just from good pics.

QDMA member:

Resource.Admin

Take a good quality picture as close up as clarity allows looking straight down on the teeth and take another one from the side view level. Post them and pretty sure you'll get an accurate read right here.

Thanks for the make up, I want no problems, trust me.
    God Bless.

10. HawgNSonsTV

Dislikes Received:
    Thank YOU! I posted and let everyone guess @ it on QDM and facebook and decided to remove as much doubt as possible and send all the teeth away in the future.

oops I just caught myself ... I don't want to steal this thread! I was going to post the pictures and let you take a stab @ it.

11. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Please reply with what the guys at QDM have to say about my buck. I enjoy the learning opportunity from guys who know a lot more about whitetail than I do.

12. BowTechnicianforChrist

Dislikes Received:

Works for me. Hope you stick a monster!
    God Bless.

13. BowTechnicianforChrist

Dislikes Received:
    You don't HAVE to be a member, just log on www.qdma.com, scroll down to forums, and post your large pics in the age this thread. Kip Adams, Banc123, and alot of other guys with a ton of experience could prob. estimate it well. They live for this type stuff, and see literally hundreds if not thousands of deer pics. If you want to become learn more about bowhunting, stay here. If you want to learn about whitetails, there is no better site.

Good Luck, Slam another One!
    God Bless.

14. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Just heard back from Blake at Nature's Art taxidermy in Arma, KS. I'd asked him earlier in the week to put a tape on my buck and get me an official score. Just heard back today that he is 153 and 1/4 inches gross, and 147 and 3/4 inches net. He said the left side scored slightly better than the right, but only about 6 inches of deductions on the entire rack.

For those of you that know more on scoring bucks than I do, does this qualify my buck as a pope and young caliber deer? Thanks!

15. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    add the word "green" between "official" and "score." My bad.

16. JCraig

JCraig Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! Congrats!