Bow String/Peep Sight Rotation problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Keaux2r, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Keaux2r

Keaux2r Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just returned a Bear Charge bow to buy a Bow Madness XS...wanted something with some more uhhmph to it. I have now put around 80-100 shots through it. Throughout the entire time of those 100 shots, my string was rotating the entire time. NOTE: I have heard bad annoyances from ppl with the peep site tube straightener so I had the guy install a regular peep on it without the straightening tube. I did the same thing on my Bear, no issues. but on my PSE, the peep just keeps rotating and rotating. It may have rotated a full turn 6-7 times during those 100 shots. Any idea as what is causing this endless rotation? I thought maybe after the strings got broken in a bit it would eventually stop rotating, nope. Any insight would be great, prefer not to drive all the way out to the shop to get it fixed. Thanks for advice in advance.

PSE Bow Madness Xs w/ 29"draw @ 65lbs

Oh, and does anybody know how to adjust the let-off...almost seems like there is none

2. BowTechnicianforChrist

BowTechnicianforChrist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Base: The Dirty South, Do-Boy: Anywhere they drag

Unfortunately, your on your way back to the pro shop. Your let off should be either 65% or 80%, depending on which module is installed. If there is no let off, you may be missing a module. 65% may feel like no letoff if you are used to 80 on another bow, but you will certainly be able to notice NO letoff. Have it scaled at the pro shop.

The peep twist shouldn't happen if it is installed correctly, and served in correctly. I am assuming you have a fletcher or G5. The installation was incorrect. You have 2 options, IMHO. You can either have your peep re-installed (if you have a 2 color string it will make it easy), but the tech should have had you draw the bow several times to make sure the peep was set correctly. Your other option is to go to a 3 or 4 way peep, which splits the string, and if it rotates, the only noticeable problem will be one third or one quarter of the string will be visible through your peep. I never recommend a self-adjusting (tube) peep, for the simple fact that they can wear over alot of shots, and can cause serious eye injury should it come loose. The tubing for the peep has a tendency to for lack of a better word, rot over time, and progressive shooting, which may cause the symptom above, which is why I don't recommend them.

You may want to choose different pro shop to bring your bow to with tech's that know their business. We've been pushing for a certification for Tech's so people can trust they know what they're doing, but unfortunately big-box retailers outnumber, and out buy pro shops, and they don't want to put the investment into certifying all their tech's/associates, considering their pay rate and the economy. Worst case, ask for the archery manager. Your string should not rotate. It can cause you simple accuracy problems, but sometimes rotation is just a fact of life.

Oops, I missed the fact that you said you have a tube peep installed without the tube. If it is not one of peeps I noted above, and is a true diamond shape tube peep, that can cause your string to twist, alot. Try the above. Hope this helps.

God Bless.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  3. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I also shoot a bowmadness xs with a 5/16 G5 metapeep installed. The original setup was done by a cabelas bow technician and it was rotating like crazy similar to the situation you described above. So I brought my setup to a local reputable pro shop and had my peep reserved, solved my rotation problem instantly.

4. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can also install an alignment nock on the string.

5. BowTechnicianforChrist

BowTechnicianforChrist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Base: The Dirty South, Do-Boy: Anywhere they drag
    I've been around bows basically my entire life, and have dedicated my life (other than to Jesus), Bowhunting.

I have never heard of an alignment nock, maybe I've heard it called something else.

Could you please describe what you are referring to?

Thanks. God Bless.

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mabe He was talking about one of them metal Tru Ball D-loops / nock aligner gizmos.....lol

7. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  8. ercise

ercise Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    PeepSight Turn

Couple of options

a. Check with the bowshop and see if your string has a twist on it.
    b. hold the serving around your D-loop with the D-loop and then turn your peep sight to the appropriate position

9. RedFletch7

RedFletch7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  10. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I get a little rotation once and a while, when I'm hunting I will line it up before Ineed to shoot.

11. Mbaxe6

Mbaxe6 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I started out with a bowmadness and the stock strings are not the best . They stretch and stretch and cause the peep to rotate . After market strings from 60x or anyother string maker that pre stretches their string will stop this . I got my string served where it wraps around the idler wheel and got 452x string material and halo serving and string did not move ! As much as bows cost they should not come with low qaulity strings IMO .

12. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just posted this on another thread but what works great for me is to save about an 1/8th inch of the loop tag ends and serve them down on the string in alignment with the peep to keep the loop from rotating. Works great and costs nothing.