Nocks keep falling off the arrow?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by AkE, Dec 11, 2011.

1. AkE

AkE Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought some new arrows and tested them for the first time today. On the first arrow I shot the nock flew off and was never found again. Tested the rest of the arrows and shot a bit with them, and every once in a while the nock would fall off when I fired or even stay attached to the string. I`ve never had this happen to me before on any arrow I`ve tried. The Arrows are Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575, with what I guess is standard nocks, bought them ready made. Any tips on how to stop this from happening?

2. InnerX CBS

InnerX CBS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds like your center serving is too large of a diameter for the nocks that you are using. A fix is very simple, you could either use different (larger grooved) nocks or you could reserve your center serving with a smaller serving.

3. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have glued my nocks into the shaft before, but that was just because the nocks were loose in the arrow before even on the string.

4. BowTechnicianforChrist

BowTechnicianforChrist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Base: The Dirty South, Do-Boy: Anywhere they drag
    I would always go with InnerX on bowstring questions, as I always refer to professionals, and he manufactures bowstrings. There are a few different nock sizes, although there is an industry standard.

However, I would not glue nocks in a shaft. Your nock is then married to the shaft, and should you have a problem with the nock later, such as a break, etc. it will be a nightmare to get out without breaking the shaft, if you can get it off at all. If you use a small amount of beeswax (string wax) around the nock and let it bond, this should solve the problem unless they are coming off during shooting which I would guess they are if they are coming off before shooting. Otherwise you have the wrong nocks for the i.d. of your shaft (inside diameter).

IMHO. God Bless.

P.S. on a serving issue, if you have to force (more force than normal) the nock onto the serving, you know your serving is too large for the nock. Hope this helps.

5. AkE

AkE Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies! I tested all the different nocks on the center serving, and two of them where to tight, the rest of them released easy. I sent an e-mail to the shop and told them about the problem and they will send me 6 new nocks.

6. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Use hot glue on the nocks...

7. BowTechnicianforChrist

BowTechnicianforChrist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Base: The Dirty South, Do-Boy: Anywhere they drag
    In my Humble opinion, all the people I work with, now lucky dudes w/ shows, setting up their bows, I would not recommend using any arrow that I had to glue the nocks on. There was a time years ago when we worked with alot more aluminum, and of course they had to be attached via adhesive, sometimes. It's just an opinion. I know guys who buy $40 1984 bear compounds with 9 wheels and half a string and kill 10 deer a year. It's all in your confidence, but if I dont have to use power to turn a knock to get the fletch where I want it for the rest, I don't have a decision but do trash the arrow.

Reconsidering, the beeswax idea I gave earlier, I would only recommend for your practice arrows. I don't want anyone burning down my house because they missed the buck of a lifetime :)

Thanks, God Bless.

8. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think InnerX missed the question. The nock fit problem is not with the string, rather with the shaft. Easiest fix ever.

Remove your nock. Stretch a thin piece of plastic (sandwich back, Walmart back) over the shaft. Now, push the nock into the shaft. Pull the bag, it will tear cleanly all the way around the nock. Will never come off, but can be physically pulled off by you.

9. InnerX CBS

InnerX CBS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    True. It could go either way though. I took it as his serving was/is too tight and its pulling the nock right off. But you are right that it could be that his nocks are just too loose in the shaft to begin with. I just find that nock fit on the center serving is usually a problem more so than nock fit in the shaft.

10. bradford9173

bradford9173 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a sliver of thin paper between my nock and arrow shaft it makes for a tighter fit. My CX mayhems do the same thing. Also try a lil string wax on the part of the nock that inserts into the shaft.