Sony HXR-MC50U

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Clynnt Conley, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Clynnt Conley

Clynnt Conley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My dad and I are looking to start filming our bowhunts, and are trying to find the right camcorder to get us started....

We have been looking at the Sony HXR-MC50U ... and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it???

What are some other good starter camcorders??? We don't want something to confusing to use....

Thanks For The Help....

Clynnt

2. RedFletch7

RedFletch7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely check out Amazon.com. I bought a refurbished Sony HDR-CX150 for $285. New they are ~$500. This camera was a great starter because of the price, size and because it's not their "higher" lined product, it is simple to use. The savings then allowed me to buy accessories for it. (which there are gobs of for cheap!) Wide angle lens ($25), Fisheye lens ($25), remote ($40), 2 extra batteries with wall/car charger ($40), and a 16gb SD card ($40)

It's a great starter camera. Super light and small, all touch screen functions. The only 2 things it doesn't have is night shot, and an input for a microphone. It does have a zoom mic which pics up great sound.

The only crappy thing about Sony is that their video format is of their own, so you have to use the software that comes with the camera (probably PMB) which is a pretty cool and easy to use program. You just have to convert the files to a different format if you want to view or use them in other software (which is built into the program).

If you do end up getting this camera, or one similar, let me know and I can help you with getting it all set up for the highest quality, and where it's recording to (internal HD or SD card). Those were the 2 things that I had to read up on, but once you get those set, it's all point and shoot.

here's a picture of how small it is. next to a 3"x5" note pad. With my wide angle lens on it.

GOOD LUCK! 2011-10-28_08-32-34_300.jpg

3. ILLbowhunter

ILLbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was also looking at that camera before I bought a Canon HF S30. The main reason for getting this one over the MC50U was:

Price
    Lens Size
    and the Canon has a LANC port for a remote

I've been really happy with mine so far and have realized how hard it is to get a shot on film when you are self filming.

4. wwhteam

wwhteam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i was think about getting this camera as a secondard camera or would the canon xa10. does any have any feedback about either camera and which one would be the best. If not then i will just check out the campbell booth at the eastern sport show in PA.

5. bus3

bus3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a canon GL2 for sale on here which is a great starter camera. It is why I'm selling it. I want to buy a canon xa10.

6. BOWSPEC

BOWSPEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am selling my Sony FX1000. Going with a different set up next year. This camera is great in low light conditions and I only used it for one season. HD picture and easy to use dispite it's initial appearance. It has an excellent onboard mic that makes it that much easier to use by elliminating the need to attach a shotgun mic and other add ons.

Attached Files:

7. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I recommend anyone who is wanting to start filming their hunts visit www.campbellcameras.com or call them up and ask questions. They know whats going on in the business. Its what they do! I also tell anyone who asks my opinion on the matter to get a camera they can be happy with. I read in a post above they they seen the canon has a lanc port. This can be very handy when self filming or filming your friend or family member. Being able to have a remote to control the zoom is huge but another thing before looking to see if the camera has the option for a lanc port is if it has MANUAL FOCUS. You will be very disappointed when you have that big buck in the timber walking slowly your way and you cant focus on anything but trees and brush between you and the animal.

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: