Nocks

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Lucic37, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Lucic37

Lucic37 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do any of you guys use the illuminated ones? Would you recommend them...are they actually worth it? They seem a little pricey but I've never tried them and they interest me.

2. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are pricey but I like using them...I only bought one this year...$9.99... just to see how they work...when I shot my buck this year it helped me see exactly where I hit the deer which is what they were intended for?...I use Burt coyotes lumenok! When you shoot...its like a laser beam going through the deer lol

3. Scljrl

Scljrl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Use the Nockturnals and love them. Been using htem for a few years now, and it's a great way to see where your arrow is going and to find it after the shot. I also like to use them while practicing for the same reasons.

4. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If legal in your state they are worth every penny. Between finding lost arrows and seeing right where your shot was on a deer they are priceless. Nockturnals here also !

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for the noturnals.

6. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't used them but why in Heaven's name would they be illegal? They don't even come on until after the shot... correct?

7. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know for a fact they are illegal in a few states but can't tell you why. I believe ND and MT are 2 that lighted nocks are illegal in.

8. jacquessWI

jacquessWI Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Lumenoks

Lumenoks all the way! Their the brightest and dont need any stupid magnets like Easton and others. They go on and from the G forces and force of momentum the nock lights up and you just pull it out a little to turn it off. Im not sure how good those nocturnals, ive never seen them but im sure their both great products!

9. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've used Nockturnals this year and they are fantastic. I shot them side by side with standard nocks and there is no difference in flight. They light up every time and are not too hard to reset - you just use a knife tip or field point tip.

Here's how I look at the price:

Arrow + Broadhead = About $20

Nockturnal nock runs about $8 each and it pays for itself the first time you recover an arrow that you wouldn't have otherwise found if it weren't for the Nockturnal.

The only downside is the permanent battery which means it eventually dies and the nock has to be replaced. This can be costly if you shoot and can't retrieve the arrow right away (within 30 mins or an hour) since that eats into the battery life. These are still worth it though.

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Because they are considered a electronic device . and in some states you are not allowed to use bow mounted range finders , sight lights , lazers and unfortionatly once the lighted nock is nocked on your string its considered a electronic device also mounted to your bow ...............personally i believe the lighted nock rule in some states is stupid

11. Lucic37

Lucic37 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you guys for the input, any good prices at specific shops?

12. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've looked at Bass Pro and on Amazon and the Nockturnals seem to run $9 each or three for $24. You can bet your local archery shop will be a little more pricey but then again, you don't have to pay shipping.

13. rick

rick Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Been thinking about it. I like the idea

14. northernredneck

northernredneck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The idea of them is awesome and if possible get a set and try them out. If it was legal for me to use them I most certainly would be.

15. Tribal

Tribal Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not trying to be a hater here, I have used Lumenocks and they were so so, Firenocks to complex looking and didn't want to mail order nocks, Tracer nocks like them after I glued the magnet on my riser. Then I purchased 6 packages, 2 in a pack at Scheels of the Nocturnals last week after speaking to the dude at the pro shop. They were on sale for 11.99 a 2 pack. SOLD! Got home one didn't even activate, different package after hitting the button and activating it wouldn't turn off, I mean at all I tried and tried, it would go off then as soon as I removed my knife it would turn on again. Stayed on for 5 days and was very very dim when I returned them all today. A different pro staffer said he has had a few others do that as well, but that was the only complaint. Another lit up but was already dim and then another package I didn't even open yet after taking it out of the bag lit up in the package? Umm... okay but not what I am looking for in a nock. Overall my personal experience and it probably is just coeincedence I will continue to use the Tracers they have worked the best for me.

16. Tribal

Tribal Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh and to answer the question, yes expensive but worth every cent when you see your arrow bury through both lungs instead of hoping and thinking your arrow probably hit the mark in low light conditions.

17. ecorrigan

ecorrigan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are illegal here in Montana during Archery-Only seasons. The same applies for bow-mounted cameras, sight-lights, bow-mounted rangefinders and anything else that might provide illumination or assistance! It's not like they actually help a person hit the animal any better. I personally don't see anything wrong with mounting a camera to my bow so I can replay where I possibly hit the animal at if I have any questions. That way I know if I should give it an extra hour or 18 before I track it!
    I use Nockturnals when I practice and for non-game animals. I do also use them during general season here, but again, they can't be used during Archery Only season!!

18. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use Nockturnals. I have not had any problems with them yet, one has been through 4 deer this year already, still going strong :tu:

19. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have used a number of different brands, but would suggest Nockturnals as well. Very easy to use and turn off. They have a number of colors to choose from also.

20. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same with Colorado. Every year I go out there I have to take different arrows. Think their regs say you can't have anything batt powered on your bow.