Hunting Clothes suggestions

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by benchcat, Nov 28, 2011.

1. benchcat

benchcat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is my second year bowhunting. I am getting ready to buy some new hunting clothes. Anyone got any
    suggestions of a specific brand that you have found that works (not bulky, but warm). From the research I have done it looks like under armour and scent blocker make some pretty good stuff. If anyone has any good tips on this it would be much appreciated!

2. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    under armour and scent blocker are also the most $$$, i have had good luck with everything RedHead, which is bought at Bass Pro Shops.. i have also bought lots of Scent-Lok which seems cheaper than scent blocker, and gets the job done..

3. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Arctic Shield makes some excellent clothing. I have a jacket, overalls, and gloves from them. The jacket is very lightweight and warm. I paid $80 for it at bass pro. I wear it all season long from late October to late season. I probably wont buy another brand from now on!

4. benchcat

benchcat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    does the Artic Shield jacket have a hood? That is why I like under armour jackets, they dont have hoods! I am looking for something to wear all season too so I may give the Artic Shield a look. Thanks

5. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
  6. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
  7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's a "clothing system". Each person’s system will be a little different depending on their location (climate). The material you layer with and the number of layers are most important. After all, you can't shoot the booner if you can't sit still or get run out of the stand by cold weather.

I will share mine below:

Layer 1 - Polar Tech base layer. (medium or polar weight)
    Layer 2- Cabelas Microtex Pants (Insulated or Uninsulated), Cabelas Mirotex Shirt ( Reg. or Light)
    Layer 3 - Fleece vest
    Layer 3 - Bowhunter XtremeSilent Tech pants and / or Bowhunter Xtreme SST bibs
    Layer 4 Bowhunter XtremeSilent Tech jacket or Bowhunter Xtreme SST Parka

Sometimes I double up on the pants & bibs.

Socks-Cabela's Ingenius Sock (liner & wool sock all in one) - (light, medium, or heavey)

Boots
    Danner Pronghorn Snake boots - uninsulated ,
    Muck Woody Elites (cold & wet),
    Danner 1200 Gram Pronghorns (Really cold, usually also means dry here.

Hands-
    Under Armour liner gloves
    Hand muff
    Hand warmers

Head -
    hat
    Fleece beanie
    Head cover -
    Neck gator

8. Lucic37

Lucic37 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i recently picked up the Cabela's Revolution Fleece, both jacket and pants, very comfortable and very quiet. If its not too cold i enjoy just a pull over with the pants, they are perfect for any temperature and i would highly recommend trying anything Revolution

9. benchcat

benchcat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone that helps a ton. I was in Bass Pro a couple of days ago and it was a tad overwhelming all the gear they had. I will go back in a couple of days to get some gear. I am stoked been saving for a awhile, kinda a mini shopping spree. thanks
    for the help fellas! Good luck

10. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would seriously look into layering systems before you spend a lot of money. Obviously, the least amount of bulk the better.

For me:

Upper body:
    Army surplus wicking baselayer
    Rocky light fleece base layer
    Sitka Core Zip
    Fleece Vest
    Sitka Stratus Jacket

Lower:
    XGO Heavy baselayer
    Sitka 90% Pants

Feet:
    PolyPro liner
    Smartwool On the Job Merino sock
    800gr Danner Pronghorn

Head/Hands:
    Sitka Traverse Beanie
    Manzella Synthetic Liner Gloves

As you can see in the picture below my bulk level is very low, that system will comfortably get me to 10-15 BELOW zero. It s all about the layers, and what order you apply them.
    [​IMG]

11. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Arctic weight Long Johns from Cabela's. Of course in Alabama... cold is probably relative. Occasionally it may make the twenties but usually 30s-50s in the AM. The Cabelas clothing however served me well in Iceland to 6 below.

12. Hightower

Hightower Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Under Armour by far the best!!! Check into the Base 3.0 layers. Yes a lil pricey at 70 for the shirt and 70 for leggins. But you'll love them!!!

13. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wear Under Armour but I am not buying into it being the best.... Check what the material is made out of.... You will find the materials in other brands identical and some times half the price.

14. coyotetrappermo

coyotetrappermo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Look into the scent lok Full season will work for you in many conditions just need a good base layer under it. I work at Bass Pro and we have it on sale jacket or pants excellent quaility and you won't find anything less noisy than this stuff. Great product line for sure. The savana is great for early season hunting or as a base layer. Scent lok makes some quaility stuff. I would rate it better than under armour as your getting high end materials plus the scent control all in one garment. Your saving 40.00 on each right now! All of the sent lok product line gets very high reviews.

15. benchcat

benchcat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys...

16. Hightower

Hightower Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Identical yes. But most are just a shell like. Un der Armour base is pleated. I have yet to find another shirt made like the 3.0

17. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like some guys have stated, it is a layering system.

Everyones will be different based on your location. I live in Indiana where we experience very warm early season temps and very cold late season temps. It requires lots of different pieces of clothing. No one single piece will get the job done. I would look at the layering systems some guys posted. That is a great place to start. Here is mine for this time of the year, late November

Upper:
    Cabelas polar tech base layer ( very nice, and cheaper then most other brands)
    long winter underwear top
    t-shirt
    Scent lok full season jacket
    HSS safety vest

Lower:
    Either sweat pants or scent lok clima fleece base layer
    Scent lok full season pants

Feet:
    Walmart brand heavy merino wool socks, (awesome and only a fraction of the cost of other similiar items, also 80% merino wool)

Boots:
    Either cabelas brand rubber boots with 400 gram thinsulate, or if its colder I'll wear my Lacrosse 1500 gram thinsulate alpha burleys.

Gloves:
    underarmor thin gloves and I always have a hand muff on me to keep my hands in

Hat:
    Scent lok fleece stocking cap, or scent lok ball cap if its warmer.

18. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i can't believe no one has suggested Cabelas wooltimate, there pants are extremely warm, was out in 15 degrees with a decent wind and snow a couple weeks ago, thermos and the pants where all i had for bottoms then i layer up top with the two wooltimate jackets. i swear i could sit for hours in below zero temps with how warm i felt. they are on sale at cabbalas right now to (with free shipping, you could possibly have them before the weekend.) just go read the reviews on some of this gear

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  19. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the woolimate pants and jacket. They are awesome like you stated and yes they are on sale now. My brother just picked up the jacket and pants. They are very warm and require minimal layering. The wind breaker in them is great too.

I usually don't break this stuff out until December though. Late season starts up on Saturday here :)

20. rick

rick Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In the woods I go with real tree. For everything else I love multicam