Big Buck Movement Theory???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Scott/IL, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone notice an increase in movement from mature bucks in the 2nd half of November and into December?

I've been kicking this idea around the last couple days, after seeing a couple big time hunters in my area just starting to use their vacation this past week. I've almost always used my vacation for the early part of November. I'll see plenty of deer, but most the bucks are 2 year olds and younger. Last year on November 15th and 16th I saw 5 different shooters. This year I made a poor shot on a great buck on the 20th.

My old man always swore that from Thanksgiving week through early December was the best time to kill a mature buck. His theory always was that the older bucks know that there are less hunters out during this time, and will finally start participating in some late rutting action during daylight.

In theory it makes sense, and I've had some sightings the last few years that back it up. With limited time to hunt next year, I may just try to hit the woods during the other half of November instead.

2. bowhunterjohn

bowhunterjohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking back on the past 8 seasons and this being my 9th I can say without a doubt the most shooter bucks I"ve seen has been in our muzzleloader season, which starts this weekend. I'd say the old dudes don't get too worked up early, then when the does that didn't take or get bred come back in and the fawn doe come in estrous they are on the prowl as the younger bucks have literally shot their wad and are tired and on recooperation mode

3. Chris Miles

Chris Miles Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The dominant bucks have bred all available does in their core areas and are on the prowell in the late rut. Their not "just starting" they are just on the move looking for more.

4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have noticed that for a while. I noticed the biggest bucks of the season seemed to come out between Thanksgiving and Dec 15th.

I kind of thought that while some of these huge bucks may not have been as strong as some of the younger bucks...... say a whale of a 4 1/2 yo, big bodied 8 point with a rack built for fighting, earlier in the season (pre-rut?) when some does are just coming into heat. The 3 1/2's and 4 1/2's commence to fighting earlier than the larger racked older bucks. By Nov 7th, most of these younger bucks are beat up and brokenat the same time more and more does are coming into heat. Now the big boys come out and take what they want!

I saw one (that I shot the following year) take a doe right away from a brute of a 4 1/2 yo 10 pointer. Only now the 10 was a 5x3 and kind of beat looking. He offered no resistance to the older buck. This happened on Nov. 25th. I almost had a crack at him on Dec. 5th. When I shot him I figured he was 6 1/2 yo/ Dressed at 218 and grossed 170 as a 9 pointer. Ironically, I shot him on Oct. 31st the following year. Cool thread.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely seeing this on our property the past few years. Since the week after our archery season closed, we've seen 6 different solid bucks (one was shot yesterday) on several occasions reappearing around once every three days, and we're seeing them traveling doe bedding areas, cruising.

6. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Let's get out there and test your theory!

7. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    This new job is really getting in the way of my hunting time Matt!!!

December 10th and it's on again!

8. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My thoughts exactly. Saw a 4.5 year old this evening 20 minutes before dark nose to the ground. 30 yards away. :(

On the 27th I got a trail cam picture of a new buck. He's a dandy too and one I've never gotten a picture of before this year. I might have gotten a picture of this buck last year once during the rut. The best part Is and what also proves Chris's point Is that It was at 10:10 In the morning. He's cruising and on the prowell and he's not from my woods. I'd give my left nut to shoot this buck.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  9. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This !!!

Tim

10. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got several pictures of mr. Clean a couple weeks ago, all between 9pm and 3am. I'm not so sure if he's been on his feet yet during daylight or not! I'm checking my cams and hunting tomorrow.

11. BowFreak

BowFreak Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some very intresting thoughts here. Hard for my input on this one, at this time of the year we are 2-3 weeks strong into the gun season here.

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I would tend to agree that many of the older bucks have now bred all of the local does in their core areas and are now expanding their ranges a bit more to find whatever does may be left. I usually see a few big stragglers show up on my treail camera between Nov 14th-ish and the end of the month. I wouldn't say they still roam a lot until mid-December, but maybe until the 5th-7th. Although this year the rut seemed to be later than usual, so you may seen them crusing for a bit longer.

13. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am betting that it depends on location. In Alabama, the rut is after Christmas through the end of January. Still plenty of nice bucks killed in November though.

14. dtk913

dtk913 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

Sorry for the shameless plug, but theories like this are exactly why I created the Non-Typical Whitetail Journal. It is the only way for hunters like us to keep track of everything we experience and observe in the woods and to have the observations of other hunters from other parts of the country, or right in your own backyard at your fingertips. It's uses are endless and it is a great way to test theories like this.

15. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    Checked my pictures from last year. I had a new stud 10 pointer on November 27th and another big 10 on December 15th.

16. kshunter

kshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scott, I began to take notice of this in my second year of bowhunting around 2003. It seemed every Thanksgiving the bigger deer would start showing up at this time. Sure I've seen them before this but the majority of really big mature deer were spotted around this time. That's why I've always taken the Thanksgiving week off. Now get fired up and shoot that big guy.

17. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I definately see more bigger bucks the second half of Nov than the first half of the month. I have noticed this for the past 7 years or so since I began to hunt more often later in the season. The last buck I killed was on Nov 25th.

18. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I notice this every time I'm in Alberta. Anyone from up there who hunts whitetails will tell you the big boys are most active the last week of Nov.

19. livin4therut

livin4therut Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is a very intresting topic. I am very intrested in gregh's response. You notice this after the wi gun season, if you dont mind me asking what part of the state are you in.

20. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think a lot has to do with what has already been said about the dominant bucks spreading out a bit and looking for does outside their core area.

I think you also need to wonder whether the deer herds in general are shifting to different areas in search of wintering areas and food with the upcoming winter right around the corner. The breeding season is still here, and the bucks will not be too far behind the does, but after a long rut that is now winding down, food starts to become a priority again.