Anyone shooting G5 Montecs

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pastorjim08, Dec 1, 2011.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A couple of my buddies started shooting the Montecs this year and at least in their practice sessions, they seem to be flying real well. They have not shot anything with them but they look like a real solid head. I shot some different expandables for a few years but went away from them because despite good shot placement, I wasn't always getting pass-thrus. I've been shooting Slick-Tricks the last few years with decent results but the Montecs are larger and I thought they might be a little better. Anyone have much experience with them?

Blessings......Pastorjim

2. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 friends that love them. I bought the montec's and t3's. The t3's flew better for me. I told my buddy this later and he said all I needed to do was tune my bow. I'm a novice with a bow so the less tuning the better for me. They get pass throughs with them and say the heads are real strong.

I'm sold on the t3's though. I'm sure the montec's work just as well though.

3. Scljrl

Scljrl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like the montecs and will probably switching to the T3's for next year. Friends are shooting the T3's and all rave about them.

4. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly wasn't that big a fan of the montecs. Not saying they're a bad head by any means, but I thought the grizztricks were more consistent and had a larger cutting surface.

5. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    have shot a good number of deer with montecs, one 500 pound black bear. Have never not got a pass through. This year I took a doe through both shoulders, passed through perfectly, she went about 40 yards. shoot 70 pounds 30 inch draw. tried some expandables, would rarely get pass throughs. I have montecs shoot the exact same as field points out to 80 yards. biggest thing is making sure your paper tuned. If not any fixed blade head is going to be a little off from field points, at least in my experience. Overall I love montecs!

6. cmkilo02

cmkilo02 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got G5 100grains and absolutely love them! :tu:

7. Mutt22Ky

Mutt22Ky Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I dropped my buck this year with the G5. Did the job just fine. Pass thru shots are rather interesting.... if you have straight broadside shot it seems to be common with both fixed and expandables. Any angle you have on your shot on your animal could result in a "not so clean" pass through. Got to remember the ribs and shoulder blades on the opposite side of the body can deflect or more or less stop an arrow from going completely through. (This can actually help out if for some reason the inital shot didnt hit as much of the vitals as you had planned on. Longer that blade is in there making a bigger wound on the inside, the quicker your animal will expire) Thats just my take on the question asked. Keep aiming small and put them down! Best of luck to everyone!!

8. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use the G5 Strikers 100gr. I've shot 7 deer this year with them and all were pass-throughs at all angles. I shoot a 58# @ 28" Mathews Monster 6 and I didn't have to retune MY bow.
    I like the Strikers because of the replaceable blades. The blades are the sharpest I have EVER seen on any BH. You can buy the BH on eBay for $28.30 and the replacement blades for $14.99 from the bowhunterssuperstore, new in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Southernboy

Southernboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Montecs...perfectly aligned w/ fletching.

SB

10. Where's Bruce?

Where's Bruce? Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Orange County-People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    They are all I use...perfectly match the field tip patterns i get in practice.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  11. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Montecs are a nice BH my dad has been shooting them the last year and love them!

12. vectrix27

vectrix27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My girlfriend started using Montecs last season. She has shot 2 deer with them and both have fell within sight. And she only pulls around 45-50lbs. They seem to fly good and hit hard. Good Luck!

13. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking about checking these out next season. I've never had any failures with my spitfire maxx broadheads, but I've always been curious what it would be like to shoot fixed blades. I like that they are all one piece.

14. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I liked the Montecs, but switched to the Strikers last year for the replaceable blades.

I may give the T3's a try also. I've heard a lot of good stuff about them.

15. Bronson

Bronson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love the Montecs. I shoot them exclusively on ACC Pro-Hunters out of my Matthews Reezen.

16. MHSfootball86

MHSfootball86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They fly perfectly with my field points each and every shot but my bow is well tuned. I took a deer with them just a few weeks ago. Only broadhead i have any amount of real experience with but they surpassed my expectations for how durable they were. One managed to hold its point despite being put through some 3/4" plywood a few times during the tuning process. Only reason i am switching is i can't seem to get a good edge on them (i stink at sharpening things though).
    Holes were about exactly what i expected and the blood trail i got was pretty impressive also. All in all a good head i see myself going back to once i learn how to properly sharpen them.

17. mads10bass

mads10bass Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    to MHSfootball86 g5 makes a specific sharpening stone for the montecs. it works great from my use. I have shot a few deer with my montecs and had great results. they fly straight out of my setup and i never not had a passthrough.

18. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate all the responses guys. The head being one piece and being resharpenable are just a few of the reasons I want to use them. I know the initial cost is more but if you can use them over and over, it will even out. I look forward to giving them a try. Again, thanks for all the responses.

Blessings.......Pastorjim

19. livin4therut

livin4therut Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have shoot monotecs in the pass and had great results. This year i gave the t3 a try and am just as impressed with them. The t3 had a complete pass-thru on a buck at 35 yards centering a rib on the entry. Head and blades head up great also.

20. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot the montecs for one season. I liked them, they flew well and I got pass throughs. My one major gripe was how dull they are out of the package. Simply put, they are not sharp enough for me out of the package.

If it was my money I would look to the Hellrazors by NAP. They are the same one piece design. They fly just the same and are much, much, sharper out of the package. Plus, they have a slightly larger cutting diameter.

On top of that Jim, you can get a four pack for the same price as 3 montecs :D

Give them a look, I'm sure you'll like them!