Broadhead Practice

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Lucic37, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Lucic37

Lucic37 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I recently started practicing with my broadheads, however i was wondering, is there usually a crazy difference in their flight compared field points / bullet tips? I shot one after i had been practicing so i figured it was maybe because i was tired but it was definitely a flier.. and i know the arrows fine because i just switched tips. Any suggestions?

2. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tune your bow.

If everything is in tune your field tips, broadheads and even an unfletched shaft will all fly to the same point.

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    what he said... tuning issue

4. olfatguy

olfatguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    While I tend to agree with the responses about tuning your bow, to a certain degree, don't overlook the fact that you might have an arrow problem as well. Certain broadheads will tend to magnify arrow problems (a slight bend in the arrow, an alignment problem with nock or insert, a bent broadhead, etc.), as well as tuning problems, more than others. Spin test your arrows, with the broadheads on them, to eliminate these potential problems.

5. KevinGrant

KevinGrant Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Rage 2 blade 100 gr. and I have never shot one at a target. Every one that I have shot at deer have hit there mark. The same will apply with most other broadheads.

6. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't forget your spine stiffness needs to be correct. Pull up an online arrow spine chart to make sure it is. Make sure your BHs are spinning cleanly. Some do fly "slightly" different than others but it shouldn't be a major difference unless something is wrong. You didn't say what kind of BHs you are shooting. The advantages to tuning are many and mostly obvious but once you are well tuned, you can practice with your field tips without damaging your BHs or destroying your targets. If it is only an inch or two difference at say thirty yards... in the middle of the season... I would probably just adjust my sight pin. If it is more than that... you have some work to do but it will be so worth it. Remember... tiny adjustments can make huge differences when tuning.

7. Lucic37

Lucic37 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i just moved my pins the other day, after the season im gonna have to figure it out i guess.

8. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  9. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    pick up a couple packs of rage and your arrows will fly true with every single shot!

10. EricZ

EricZ Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^This is terrible advice.

Your bow is out of tune, and as others have stated your arrows may not be spined correctly. The only way to fix this is to tune it. Walk-Back tuning works great for me, although others on here will recommend a few other ways to do it. Without knowing your setup (poundage, d/l, etc) just recommending a rage broadhead to magically fix all underlying issues unethical.

Like Rob said, if your bow is tuned correctly, it doesn't matter if you're shooting a fp, fixed or expandable broadhead, they'll all hit the same spot.

11. BowTechnicianforChrist

BowTechnicianforChrist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Base: The Dirty South, Do-Boy: Anywhere they drag
    Sorry, Negative.

A fixed-blade broadhead (excluding sonics and exp's) will not group at the same point. As you shoot further, there will be even more of a difference. They usually shoot to the left, usually not off much at 20, but at 40, it's inches.

Even Rage's don't group the same at 40. I shoot binary, axis, blazers, and muzzys. I've been tuning bows for many years, and it is a sure thing that you will not group near your field tips at 40 IMO. Give it a try, let me know if you think I'm wrong.

12. BowTechnicianforChrist

Dislikes Received:
    You did the right thing, your arrows were likely grouping to the left from your field tips. Worry only about straightness if you are using aluminum arrows. Otherwise re-tune to your broadheads, and your good. If you are shooting exp's you can get away with not adjusting for broadheads, but fixed blade, umm nope.

Shoot me a PM, I'll get you setup in a heartbeat.
    IMHO. God Bless.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  13. BowTechnicianforChrist

Dislikes Received:

I hate to interrupt again, I really do. But after shooting and tuning so many different bows, I have to disagree 100% that a fixed blade will fly with a bare shaft, exp, field tip. You must all be shooting at a 20yd range IMO.

God Bless.