I'm not shooing Rage Broadheads anymore... here's why...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mazterovdizaster, Nov 21, 2011.

1. mazterovdizaster

mazterovdizaster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not advice. Just sharing. Are we goin to hold grudges here? Sounds like ur still upset?

2. Chris Miles

Chris Miles Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If a blade ever fails you again just chuck one of them ear bushings at him to knock him down and follow up with that pinky to the throat.

3. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I buy a broadhead KNOWING that it's only EVER going to be shot ONCE through game... (unless I put it through scrutinized tests for straightness and then REPLACE blades)..

I've seen my tried and true Muzzy's bend as well after the shot... I've seen the American Broadhead co head break, I've seen my Rocky Mountain Snypers bend, Thunderheads break blades... it was all in a or through a dead deer so I DON'T CARE....

I don't resharpen blades, either they get new blades or they get thrown away.

[​IMG]

4. BoneCollectorWV

BoneCollectorWV Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll trade a broadhead for a dead deer every day of the week, but that's me. :rock:

5. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    MOTOWN, that right there was funny! :rock:

6. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not really that funny but oh well, hey...hey....somebody say something about his hat. Predictable. I resharpen broadhead blades and there are a couple of great tutorials on this very site, see Rancid Crabtree. The idea of only killing one deer with a broadhead is odd to me unless the thing is damaged. Clean it up, touch up the blades, and carry on. Those things are expensive you know.

7. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    MOTOWNHONKEY has always called a spade a spade... I found it humorous, sorry.

Broadheads are expensive but I find replacement blades to be cheap peace of mind. You sharpen yours, kudos, I replace mine... don't understand why that's odd nor needs criticized?

8. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The 3 BH's I have used so far this year have been resharpened and are ready to go. I have 100% confidence in them.

9. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Good, good for you Bruce..well done.

10. mazterovdizaster

Dislikes Received:
    Haha! Attack like a ninja from above! Stick and move, stick and move!

11. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's the pile on syndrome and it went the same way in the other thread, we see it all the time on forums. No need to apologize, maybe he's just asking for it because he won't let the high shoulder shot thing go. I mean why not take a stab at his "look" as well, it's the third time i've seen it in a couple of weeks directed at m of d. He's probably got some lame tats too, Get him, he doesn't fit the bowhunter mold. Sarcasm.....kinda.

Maybe re-read my post..."The idea of only killing one deer with a broadhead is odd to me"... a. that's far from criticism and b. it was more in reference to this..."I buy a broadhead KNOWING that it's only EVER going to be shot ONCE through game". I just didn't really pick up on why it couldn't be used again. But you will use it again with new blades which makes sense. No biggie.

I use some like my Montecs on my recurve and I have to re-sharpen them mainly because those broadheads are expensive(to me) and don't have replacement blades and ever since I found a good way to touch up the blades on my Grizz Tricks I only buy replacement blades if blades are damaged and even when I buy replacement blades I touch those up because they are nowhere near as sharp out of the pack as I can get them.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  12. mazterovdizaster

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure how to take the first part but movin on. I picked up a pack of Hellrazors. I will reuse those. I've used them before and i can resharpen them.

13. MHSfootball86

MHSfootball86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Montecs on my compound. I took the time this summer to tune my bow so they also boast "field point accuracy." Penetration has never been a concern because as i was BH tuning i shot one through my block target (it was worn at about 1000+ shots) and 1/2" plywood and just sharpened it up. The only time i have ever actually damaged a Montec is when it hit a rock on a pass through on a squirrel or groundhog. Even then the tip gets a little blunt and maybe a chip was taken out of one of the blades. They still shoot good and made great target/ small game heads.

I recently switched to the NAP thunderhead as it is still a fixed but half the price of the montecs and i can by razor sharp replacement blades after i shoot them. I still have the Montecs in my quiver as they are a durable head that require a little resharpening here and there but thats the ONLY issue i have run into with them.

I don't see myself using a mechanical in the future as i don't want to worry about them opening mid flight or imploding upon impact. Just seems like an unnecessary concern when there are fixed heads out there that take away these issues.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  14. DrawBackBowhunting

DrawBackBowhunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 100%!! If the shot didn't hit a shoulder then I Inspect it, sharpen it, re-use it. Why pay that much more for something? I have full confidence in a broadhead after I do all that to it. It's so simple it's stupid!

15. DrawBackBowhunting

DrawBackBowhunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As far as rage broadheads go... Good job with the video, I'm sure some guys found it useful. I've never had the desire to use them, I've heard too many bad things about them. That could also be because so many people use them now, and some people may have had a bad experience with them only once. It doesn't take much for people to start blaming equipment on a fail.

16. bowhunter18

bowhunter18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    G5 strikers are the ones i use

17. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone not "confident" in their Rage 2 blades, send me a PM for my address. I will put them to great use and continue killing deer with them. :tu:

18. GeorgiaBoy

GeorgiaBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with Tembry, and will take all 3 blades.

19. rutjunky

rutjunky Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the guy in the video, ive killed many deer with them and 2 really nice bucks, i switched to G5 T3s and love them, never had a complete pass threw with rage, even at 12 yards, Shot Deer with the t3 and complete pass threw and kept going,nothing has ran past 20 yards with the t3, i shot rages for 2 years and will not go back, JUNK as far my thoughts, G5 i pulled out of the dirt and wouldnt be afraid to use them again still straight and sharp, i would hit them with a diamond stone first of course just to ease the mind.

20. Hoyt Bone Collector

Hoyt Bone Collector Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is no question about it; you need to replace blades every time! Although replacing blades could cost you a little extra, you just can't beat the incredible wound channels from the 2 blades. I shot a buck last night at 30 yards, I hit heart and lungs and he ran 20 yards and crashed. I have never had another broadhead do what a rage can do. Just replace blades and you're set!