Help With First Bow Purchase?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jakeboivin, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Jakeboivin

Jakeboivin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys, So I have decided that next season it's time to start hunting with a bow. I have been doing alot of reading yet I know that true knowledge comes by getting out there and doing it over and over, trial and error. here is where I could really use some help from anyone that can give me some advice. first off I am left handed which makes going to any retailer and trying out bows almost impossible for the fact hardly anyone carries left handers around me. I do believe though that I have narrowed it down to 2 Bows. the first one is the Hoyt Carbon Element rkt and the second is the Hoyt Vector 32. I'm sure I don't have to go over all the stats on them which are pretty much the same except for the riser material with you Vets. I am pretty much wondering do I spend the extra money and get a bow that claims to shoot with alot less vibration or save myself some cash being a newbie and get the bow that rocks a little bit more after a shot. anyways I won't sit here and talk like I know even anything on this subject, like I said I am really just looking for some help and advice on what you guys think will make me a happier hunter in the long run! Thank for any future replies on here. Jake

2. David8

David8 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well first off I am a lefty too so I know what ur going through with that. Secondly I just got a bow last year and I got a craze by Mathews which in my onion is a great starter bow and just a great bow in general. Also about spending the extra money, you have to think of it as if you spend a little more money now then it could pay off later. You don't want a monster buck ducking an arrow because it heard the vibration when you shot. Just putting in my two cents. Hope I helped ;)

3. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You need to shoot the bows and let the bow pick you. It may be hard to find a shop to shoot them at but you need to do it. Shoot every bow you can get your hands on.

4. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You may want to think of it like buying a mountain bike:if you buy a real nice bike with mediocre components, you can upgrade the components as you need and end up with a perfect setup. Or, if you buy a mediocre bike with great components, you are still stuck with a mediocre bike. Buy a reputable well made bow, and tweek the components to create the perfect setup for you.

Good hint above: shoot all the bows you can.

5. BlueCopper

BlueCopper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A new bow is pretty expensive as I'm sure you already know. Might buy a used one to try it for a year and see if you like bowhunting. Just an idea.

6. Andrews Archery

Andrews Archery Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would person go with a bow that would be easier to shoot, meaning one with a longer brace height. when I got my first bow a few years ago (PSE Brute 8 1/8 inch brace height) the guy at my pro shop recommended it because it would be forgiving for a first time bow hunter. just something to think about.

7. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have a winner!

8. Andrews Archery

Andrews Archery Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would person go with a bow that would be easier to shoot, meaning one with a longer brace height. when I got my first bow a few years ago (PSE Brute 8 1/8 inch brace height) the guy at my pro shop recommended it because it would be forgiving for a first time bow hunter. just something to think about.

9. Jakeboivin

Jakeboivin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll call some more shops a little further out and see if I can get lucky on finding some with left handers.

10. tek4life

tek4life Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    X2 the bow picks it's owner when you shoot the right bow it will instantly show. you will have complete faith in the bow. I've bought a bow just for its hype and regreted it badly

11. Rc187

Rc187 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 100% about shooting a few bows to see which one fits you best but of all the post I didn't see anything about High Country Archery bows anywhere if you haven't looked into them it would def be worth your time I shot competition for many years with a PSE and loved it Started hunting a few years back with a matthews and it was great when I started looking for something new I went to a local dealer here in NC and shot the 2010 Speed pro x-10 and was hooked they make it in a left handed model it was extremely quite mine was shooting around 398fps set at 70# with a 31 inch draw really forgiving for a new bow hunter and unbelievably smooth and accurate and priced great. just something else to look into im shooting the 2011 Speed Pro x-11 now Im a HCA guy for life now best bow I have ever shot IMO.

12. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dont think that it shoots 398 fps. The website states ibo 345

13. Rc187

Rc187 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah thats the IBO, with the Speed Pro arrow and broad head it shot 398,398,396 through the chrono my new x-11 just shot 419,417,419 I myself wasnt a believer until I shot them they are truly the best bow I have ever shot I had the same argument with a local matthews,hoyt,PSE, ETC dealer that I had bought several of my previous bows from and shot with many times when he found out I had gotten rid of the matthews I had just bought from him a few weeks earlier we set up his chrono and the numbers were almost identical he watched me shoot a few groups at 30yds and just said wow... These numbers are fairly regular I have seen many Speed Pros shoot very similar numbers and the quality is second to none they are worth looking at I will never shoot anything else

14. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where in NC are you from and what shop did you buy it from? I'm from NC also and would llike to look at Hogh Country. Heard some good things about them but never seen one in person. PM me if you would like.

15. Mr Buffalo

Mr Buffalo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As far as a brand of bow...Go on your gut, what feels good and what is comfortable. Dont go with a brand just because your buddy thinks its the best out there....

I'm a tall guy with long arms. I shoot 278 fps. I have my weight set at 60 lbs. My draw is 30.5 inches. My brace is 7 inches and my axle is 35". Its a forgiving unit.

But overall, setup your new bow where its comfortable and easy to draw and hold to target. I started archery/bowhunting 2 years ago. Been a hunter since I was old enough to tote a weapon safely. For an old goat like me to start a new art, its important to consider the points I mentioned.

Good luck!!!

BTW- I chose a Hoyt.

16. Jakeboivin

Jakeboivin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wow crazy how much help you guys have been in 1 day. well I live about an hour from LL Bean so I called them and they are all about setting me up on Sunday so Ill be heading down there. I just messed around with a cheap bow last night and realized I feel super comfertable drawing it back both ways so I'm anxious to see which way I shoot Better. Thanks again guys for everyones help and advice.

17. davydtune

davydtune Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Since your just starting out, the best thing you can do is go to a bow shop and have a tech set you up some different bows to shoot. You'll know which one is for you after shooting them and by going to a good shop you will be set up properly plus they can offer you tons of info and help.

Good luck and be prepared for this to become an obsession!