S. IL Rut/Chasing???? REALLY???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by selfbros, Nov 14, 2011.

1. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, this is just odd to me. However, I feel a bit out of excuses, so I am asking others what their thoughts on the rut in S. IL. The last couple of weeks in Bond County we are still seeing bucks bachelor up with each other??? No one that I've spoken with has yet to see a buck following a doe???? Unless it’s at night. I've seen bucks chasing north of I-70, but nothing south of it. I mean would a few miles south really make a huge difference in the rutting activity? I haven't had one pic of a buck with a doe yet, but I've had several bucks on trail cameras. Mostly at night, with no day time movement. Also all of my doe’s are still with their fawns, so I guess it’s safe to say chasing hasn’t started for my woods.

This past Saturday my buddy set up in my opening day stand where I had several encounter with bucks and doe's together. He had two bucks come in behind him (decent 10 and smaller 8) they were grazing on acorns and what not. Mean while he had a doe with a fawn out in the field but the bucks didn't even care? What's going on? Should I just blame Al Gore and his global warming?

2. SilentSling

SilentSling Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get some fresh Doe pu$$y.
    Spray it and drag it all over the county.
    They will get jacked up and the party will start.
    Maybe.
    It will kick in soon and have seen bucks locked down with does already.
    Good Luck,
    [​IMG]
    SilentSling

3. lefty40

lefty40 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I just wanted to say that Im a few hours north of you in Central Illinois and this is my first year hunting, so I could be doing alot wrong. I am hunting out of the Mackinaw River public land and Saturday I had a similar experience. I hunted out of my stand from about 7:00 am until about 3:30 pm and there was virtually no movement. When I was walking into my stand, it is about a 20 minute hike, I could hear some dear rustling in the woods, but once in my stand I saw 1 doe running with nothing tailing her all day. Hopefully I can get out Thanksgiving weekend and have some better results.

4. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    I think it’s this warm weather? Freaking Al Gore! I've been working around Decatur and Champaign, IL the last couple of weeks. I've seen plenty of day time movement the interstate. Last Wednesday I was only about 15 minutes north of Effingham when I saw a dandy buck (140 to 150") stand on the edge of a cut bean field licking branches. This was at 11:05 AM. Earlier in week I was going through Springfield, IL and saw a doe running across a CRP field when shortly after I basket head buck came out of the woods and was chasing her. I hope something happens this Friday for Shot Gun season. I really am due for a buck, but I'd rather take one with my bow. But bone is bone.

5. andyh2o

andyh2o Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt Williamson and Jackson Co public land. Last Tue night, I saw 9 or 10 does together in a wheat field feeding and 4 smal bucks came out seperatly. 2 sparred a little bit but nothing major. Then the bucks started chasing does around, but the does wanted not part of it. Then Thu night saw a small 10 pointer working a scrape and then a decent 130" 8 walk across a field. Not a shooter though. Grunted at him for fun, but he didn't care. I'm not from down here but just at school, but reports from home in Central IL say its booming at home. If I were to guess, primetime down here is looking right around gun season, and of course I will be home for that.

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I keep hearing about central IL going crazy, but I've yet to witness it. Hunting Morgan county and it's been rough with the wind and moon. I haven't seen the bucks cruising like I've witnessed the last 4 years.

When I was seeing the does they were alone, now I'm not seeing any does. Seen one cross the path this morning around 10 and had a decent buck follow soon after. Grunted at him and got his attention but that's it. Wind was gusting and in my favor so I was debating climbing down and stalking, but a 2nd doe stepped out and nothing I could do but watch them disappear in the thick stuff. Not sure what shotgun season will be like, but I'll be out and it's looking like I'll have a buck tag available. Unless something changes in he next 5 hours. Temps is supposed to start dropping now from 75 to 60.

7. Mo hunter

Mo hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am seeing the same thing here in Missouri, Me and 2 friends went to central Mo. no chasing at all seen 10 does in the cornfield with no bucks, seen 1 nice buck in the bean field, no does. 1 of the guys shot a doe with nothing following her, I had 2 does bed down just down from me and no bucks, The other guy had 3 does with there yearlands with them and no bucks chasing. Not sure what is going on, but I am hearing from alot of people the rut is in full swing!

8. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to take today off, but decided against it. I am glad that I passed. im tired of hunting in the 70's. Good luck with the rest of the day cls74. My neighbor has been hitting the public land in Springfield hard all last week, and nothing to show for it yet. He was leaving the house this morning heading back there.

I really think this weekend will be great for movement and big bucks going down. It better be!

9. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    some shots a buck and they call it RUT time. BS. I will say the signs are plentifull, but just not much day time activity. STUPID DEER.

10. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hunting by Salem and have seen zero chasing. Starting to see some rubs and scrapes. Between the wind, warm weather and full moon, I think the movement is at night.

11. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    I have a cousin who's a farmer in Salem. His last name is hunter? You know any hunters? Lol, but seriously?