Team 19 Official Thread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by purebowhunting, Aug 29, 2011.

1. bowhunter18

bowhunter18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the buck in the 4 pics but with a rifle...i will get the bow back in hand tommorow evening

[​IMG]

2. Tall Tails

Tall Tails Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That is a great buck! Bowhunter18, Good job! Keep trying with the bow. I'm sure you will get one of those big boys.

Also, congratulations to Skywalker and Purebowhunting.

Those are some great bucks! That's awesome that you got the buck you have been after for a while, Purebowhunting. That buck must have weighed a ton!

3. GCLIFT

GCLIFT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to everyone who has killed!!! Good to see you guys having some luck. I stuck one this weekend a little bit back and it was an all liver hit. Waited five hours and went and found his bed and we had jumped him. We looked for a long time with no luck. He would have been my biggest buck to date as he would have grossed close to 150, a big 9 pointer. I feel horrible and am really at a loss at the moment. I guess there is not much I can do now.

4. bowhunter18

Dislikes Received:
    Gclift,,,have you checked water sources yet or the bedding areas

5. bowhunter18

Dislikes Received:
    Went out this evening saw 15 does and not one buck....it is way to hot like 67 degrees

6. Stick'em

Stick'em Newb

Dislikes Received:
    well guys sorry i didnt get to help much i had one heck of a year. HARD YEAR that is. i laid the smack down on one today but to bad we cant use him because i shot him with the ol' smoke pole. but i figured i would let ya take a look hat this HOG lol..

buck3.jpg
    buck 1.jpg
    buck2.jpg

7. Stick'em

Stick'em Newb

Dislikes Received:
    how do you make the pic so big bowhunter18?

8. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is a stud stick'em! Do you have a story to share on the kill? That thing must go near 160"! To post larger pics you need a program like photobucket, then paste the appropriate code into the post.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  9. purebowhunting

Dislikes Received:
    My Buck Story
    On Friday the 4th I headed to Ohio to bowhunt some public land with a few buddies. It was our first trip and didn't have a clue what to expect, we planned to hunt until Wednesday then drive back Thursday then I'd head to Wisconsin for the remainder of the week/weekend. After three days in Ohio with temps in the 60's and nearly no deer movement, we decided to head back Tuesday morning which gave me more time in Wisconsin than I expected with was a pleasent surprise.
    I headed out Wednesday morning in a snowstorm and found myself headed into the woods around 3:00 just as the storm was ending. I headed to the downwind side of a balsom swamp, an area I knew this deer lived, in a ladder stand I hung three years ago and have hardly ever hunted. Upon arrival the balsom tree the stand was hung in had limbs hanging low with snow, I got set-up then shook some of the limbs to enable shooting. After shaking off the limbs I did two does bleats to try to cover the noise I had just made and settled in. Less than five minutes later I hear a deer grunt then see deer movement, this buck comes trotting straight to the base of my tree at approx 3 yards. After looking around he turns and starts to quarter away through some shooting lanes, at 8 yards I grunt him to a stop and send an arrow. Instantly I saw blood spray and throught the hit looked good, behind the shoulder lower third of the chest. He ran 40 yards and stood there, stood for approx 3-4 minutes, then walked back in my direction through a shooting lane at 35 yards but with all the snow it was impossible to make the shot through the drooping limbs.
    I now knew I didn't get into the lungs, but the blood and shot placement convinced me I had to have gotten liver. I backed out, waited 3-1/2 hours and went in. After trailing him maybe 60 yards I see his rump under a balsom, at about three feet I end up face to face with him, still alive but unable to rise from his bed. I didn't have my bow, don't know why, so I backed out. I got my bow and headed back in about a hour later to find him dead in the same bed.
    He's a buck I've been after for a while, not a high scoring buck at 132-6/8, but an old buck I have a lot of history with. I believe he's 6-1/2 years old, never got him on a scale but believe him to be over 200lbs. Two years ago I had four encounters while bowhunting, none within bow range. Last year I had two encounters, one resulting in a miss when my cam hit my treestand on the shot. I've been able to collect 5 of his last 6 sheds, and couldn't be happier to end all the memories with this kill.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next morning my buddy was able to seal a deal on a 115" eight with a 17-3/4" spread, believed to be a 3-1/2 year old. I saw a 150-160" ten the next morning chasing a does, hope he makes it to next season!

10. bowhunter18

Dislikes Received:
    Nice deer guys and you need a photobucket and you post the img code

11. bowhunter18

Dislikes Received:
    Anything?

12. bowhunter18

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't been out in a while but i have school break tomorrow until Monday so i should be out everyday so i will hopefully get a doe or a good buck...will keep everyone posted

13. purebowhunting

Dislikes Received:
    Keep at it 18, its gun season up here so I'm on a three week break, then a little late season where I may take another doe. Land improvement and shed hunting time is about to begin too! Good luck everyone, lets start knocking down some does!

14. GCLIFT

GCLIFT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys I talked to the landowner this evening and a guy that rifle hunts out there found my buck!! I am estatic and am heading out there this weekend to rifle hunt, so I am gonna go get him and make sure its the buck I shot!

15. purebowhunting

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal GCLIFT, it will be interesting seeing how far he went and if the coyotes didn't get to him real bad what you ended up hitting, if it is your buck he found. Look forward to pics!

Skywalker, any more on the buck you hit with the rifle?

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No, I went out and searched again on Tuesday evening. I didn't have any luck finding him at all. I''m just hoping he will make it and I pick him up on my trail cams.

17. bowhunter18

Dislikes Received:
    I saw the thread and it looked just a tad low.....i hit a buck with a muzzeloader like that and that buck survived i got pics of him a few weeks later with a scar..You might have another shot at that buck

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man I hope so, He's one of the best bucks I've had on camera, so I hope he makes it through.

19. bowhunter18

Dislikes Received:
    I am pretty sure he will if hes on camera with that wound he will probably make it

20. bowhunter18

Dislikes Received:
    Made a few mock scrapes today..hopefully can get a buck to come check them out