What do you do???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Militaryhunter, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Militaryhunter

Militaryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just wondering what everybody does to pass the time while sitting in the treestand/blind? Do you bring a book or magazine to read or just sit there and twiddle your thumbs???

2. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I twiddle my thumbs and look for deer, I also send text response to the mutliple "seen anything yet" text from people. BTW, for you text stalkers and you know who you are, if I see something you will be the first to know))))

Dave

3. big_quillie

big_quillie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on the alert the whole time. I'll occasionally text my buddy and ask him what he's seeing but I just enjoy sitting in my stand and taking in the outdoors.

4. stupid_rope

stupid_rope Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I make sure my phone is charged and i sit there and play games.

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    iphone, post here in the "live in the stand" thread and read other forums. On days where the woods are busy I can sit back and enjoy nature. For the most part the phone keeps me from fidgeting, sitting or standing in one position doesn't last long. The more bored I get the more apt I am to climb down.

I rarely miss something sneaking by, but there's times when a deer walks up and catches me a bit off guard. But that happens when I'm trying to really focus as well. I will stay off the phone during what is normally prime movement, but slow times I find myself occupied with technology.

6. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mostly, I look for deer and watch squirrels and other critters.
    I do a little texting when I have a signal. Hardly ever have enough signal where I hunt to get online. Which is okay because if I look at my phone too long, I lose my ability to focus on stuff out in the distance. Just another part of the joys of getting old.

7. hugger73hatch

hugger73hatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just take in the scenery and look for deer and other animals. Sometimes I will dose off, sometimes text and play solitaire on the pone, but most of the time just enjoy the peace and quiet.

8. AIM

AIM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Although bowhunting is new to me this year it is still similar to gun hunting just slower paced. I have found myself texting a few times. And i normally do not text.
    Tonight I text my buddy about his tree removal job. (went well according to him). I texted my other buddy about his new girlfriend. (a bit psyco but VERY willing) I also found out through a text that SHE used to have a girlfriend. (yes you read that right)
    I texted my wife and told her that coffee would be good when I got home.
    Other than that, I take the occasional 5 minute doze then it's back to scanning the woods.
    I gotta say that for the most part I don't really get bored while hunting. If you look real close you can see things that are really quite interesting.

9. SeanMF9104

SeanMF9104 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I play games on my phone, and I bring ear buds and listen to talk radio on IHeartRadio.(one 1 ear bud in)

10. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    12 pack and a can of skoal gets me through the long sits.

11. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I text other hunters in stand like PT, Raceway, Bloodcrick, In da woods, JMbuckhunter, Pat Howard, and so on with all my other hunter buddies that are not on the best site on line.

12. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No way I could ever read a book on stand. Too many deer like to sneak in like ninjas where I hunt! I'm on high alert, just like they are :)

13. Tacswa3

Tacswa3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I browse the internet on my phone. I browse the web for a bit, scan the woods, browse the web, scan the woods until I get bored of browsing the web. At that point I just focus on the woods. I absolutely love to hunt, but I can't just sit there for hours staring at the same trees. I don't how I got through it back in the day before mobile technology, LOL.

14. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I sit in the stand, watch the animals and birds and enjoy the peace and quiet of nature. My phone is on silent and in my backpack, not to be touched until I'm ready to get down or to see what time it is after shooting a deer. One of the reasons I hunt is to get away from technology and all the crap in the world. Sitting in the treestand watching everything is one of the best ways to do just that, at least for me.

15. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I watch for deer or other critters and forget about work.

Otherwise I just kick back and wonder...

I sometimes wonder if Vito thinks about fishing more so then deer hunting when he is deer hunting. I have a feeling he has been busted more then once doing a fake cast while he is day dreaming about fishing. I also wonder if I looked up the word Vito... does it mean one who is not sarcastic ?? :rolleyes:

I wonder how someone can dirty socked Buckeye's stand and he still kills a big buck. Maybe his bucks are freaks and like smelling dirty socks ?? He can't be that good... dammit !!!

I wonder if I could out run Rob up in Alsaka if we were bear hunting together and the bear out hunted us. Would I have to trip him to get a good head start ??

I wonder if Shultzy bait bears with a pic-i-nic basket ?? If he does... would he tell us?? Has he named a bear Yogi ??

I wonder if Fran ( The King ) is really very humble and modest at heart. Then I laugh... Ya right !!!!! :lmao: That one gets me everytime !!

I wonder if TeeJay sends me mean texts because he likes being called a Jerk or a Loser. I know I like texting back calling him a Jerk or a Loser. Never gets old !!

I wonder if someone seen Dan ( bloodcrik ) at a football game long ago trying to get someone's attention and thus was inspired to invent the big hand ( number 1 ) that everyone waves around.

I wonder if there is something in the water by Rob/Pa's place. Both him and the bucks he kills are f**"d up on one side almost every year. It's got to be the water !!!

I wonder how bad withdrawals will be for PT if his team loses and he can't trash talk next year. I bet he prays every night that it doesn't happen !!!

I wonder if it is bad to look forward to Germ's hunting mis-adventures every year. I really wish the best for him... really I do !!!

I wonder if there is a revolution in the US with all the bad things that are going on... will Duke be the one to get on here first and say... I TOLD YOU SO !!! It's all in the history !!!! neener-neener

I wonder how Christine would take it if they discontinue metal MagLites for plastic. I am thinking not good !!!!! I still wouldn't want to make her mad if she had a plastic maglite on her.

So much to wonder about !!

Tim

16. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

LOL, yeah I wonder. ;-)

17. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cell phone donging helps me pass the time. It doesn't help that JZ always forgets to save the pic.

Otherwise, I enjoy the sounds of the woods and look for deer. Quiet is hard to come by for me, so I take it all in.

18. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Think...and watch...and take in God's creation. To be honest I get my best thinking in and my best time with God when I'm up a tree.

19. wadeniebuhr

wadeniebuhr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    While I'm on stand I hunt thats what i'm there for if I want to read a book or search the net I'd stay on the couch I hunt so i can escape the realworld not take it with me. The moment I hit the parking lot I'm thinking deer.until I'm back In the car then i'llgo home and read about deer.

20. SilentSling

SilentSling Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No!
    Can't believe you asked such a Q.
    I ain't hunt'n in a cage of deer.
    You will miss every time if you don't pay attention...Afganistan too!
    [​IMG]
    Good luck a cover your a$$!