Any good antler recipes?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by MattR, Oct 31, 2011.

1. MattR

MattR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch, I never said it was the one and only true way. Did you miss the first part where I said "I was taught"? No place does it tell people that it is the one and only way.

This is what I mean about people misreading the original post. Sorry Fletch for using your reply as an example.

iHunt, I am not getting into a pissing match with GregH just because his area he hunts in WI is what he probably thinks the whole State is like. I have nothing to prove to him and even if I did post pics, I am sure somebody would say it was not my deer or some crap. FYI, my biggest buck was taken 28 years ago, aged by the DNR at registration to be 6.5 years old. It was a 9 point basket rack with only about 1.5 inches from tip to tip, long tines a bit over 12 inches and very thick main beam. It was taken in the Southern part of WI, I moved to my current area 11 years ago.

Matt

2. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The problem w trophy hunters insinuating there is something wrong w hunting for meat is that people can and should shoot whatever legal animal makes them happy.

The problem w meat hunters insinuating there is something wrong w trophy hunting is that only people who need meat for the table should be allowed to hunt (as if big bucks aren't table fare).

Everyone has their own opinion. If I am not huntin for the meat ( I'm not, I use it all, but I'd save the money and hassle if that was my sole reason) I am hunting for the challenge of it. It's why I gave up rifle hunting and stuck w bowhunting, it's more challenging. It's why I don't shoot 1.5 yo bucks anymore (IMO they are the easiest animal to kill in the woods including squirrels and turkeys). That doesn't mean you should change your view points or ways of hunting to match mine, nor should I to match yours.

3. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    OK, OK. Has anyone started cooking my antler bbq? If started yesterday, it should be done by the end of the weekend. This is assuming you didn't shoot a fork buck because it wouldn't be a very big meal. I'm very disappointed with some of you thinking that antler bbq is a joke. I've taken years to perfect this recipe. This forum is full of non believers. Just try the bbq once and then we can all agree on this topic. By the way, this recipe is only intended for freshly killed deer. Also, shed hunting will not produce the same level of bbq. I've tried to perfect the sheds, but it doesn't work! Think of taking the meat off of a deer hit by a semi one week later. It just isn't the same. I've tried this too.

I'm still looking to shoot that 140 class deer. 140 class deer provide the most flavorful antlers.

4. MattR

MattR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Nicely written. Being mainly a meat hunter, I do not have a problem with the trophy hunters out there. They help move some deer around during the day. I do have a problem with some of the other meat hunters in my area, especially during gun season. They shoot at basically anything that is brown and moves. Several times I have seen a deer running across a field bordering our property and having lead whistling towards me even with me wearing 100% blaze orange.

One thing I learned from this thread is to return to lurking for the majority of the time. I try to post something a little comical asking for antler recipes and look what it turned into.

Matt

5. MattR

MattR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scarps, I enjoyed reading your recipe. Made me laugh a bit.

BTW most meat is off the deer once a semi hits it..lol.

Matt

6. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was trying to see if you actually had any experience with old, mature bucks. However, with your insinuation of where I hunt and what I think, you have proven that you must not have much experience at all. Actually, you sound like an immature 15 year old trying to troll on the internet.

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Again, wow...

This went right where I thought it would. Sometimes I hate my hunting community :sad:

8. MattR

MattR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Greg, I have hunted in Southern WI, Northern WI, and now hunt in Central WI. I have been hunting for 28 years and have harvested 1-2 deer each year, so I am far from having no experience. Actually, you sound like a beginner hunter and trying to validate yourself by pretending that you know everything about hunting regardless of location. I have proven my own effectiveness regarding hunting and am happy with the hunter that I am, no need to prove it to you on the internet to validate my accomplishments.

Matt

BTW, I am going out hunting while the experienced Greg sits on the internet guessing people's ages, have a great day everybody.

9. MattR

MattR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My apologies to you Fitz. This thread was SOOOO misunderstood by the majority of people. Wish it would just get deleted.

Matt

P.S. Started using the hunting log and trying to enter everything I see. I am going to be mentoring the neighbor kid (young man) during gun season and this should help with remembering where each trail and sign I come across since most of the land I can hunt is new to me this year.

10. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, I wouldn't say Greg is inexperienced at all. You should see all his mounts :busted:

11. MattR

MattR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And just what does that have to do with my original post????

12. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This^^^

13. jtvanmeter

jtvanmeter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wish everyone on this thread could see how stupid you all for even responding to this thread and getting into pissing matches. Thanks for the laugh when I'm in class though, made my day! Hahahahahahahahaha!!!

14. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    MattR ..... GMMAT in disguise... fugging with everyone ... :) ????

15. sevi316

sevi316 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    why did I just read all of this LOL

Meat hunters are just hunters that don't have trophies around them.... You can still put a trophy on the table and eat him

Too many factors in my area to allow deer to become trophies... so I am a meat hunter... But I would love to be a trophy hunter because I bet the big ones taste good too!!!

Side note: a antler handle knife would be bad ass

16. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Shed, that is obviously a circular argument hidden behind an ad hominem attack. lol

Besides, we all know that the only thing that makes a trophy hunter is his location.

17. on a mission

on a mission Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Trolling at its finest lolol

18. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Fletch, I almost drowned on my coffee!

19. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sure, blame me for your drinking problem......whatever.....go kill a giant whitetail. lol

20. Podobed45

Podobed45 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    dogs looooove antlers.