Blew my chance at first deer with bow!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Reaper, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Reaper

Reaper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Today is my second day bow hunting ever. Cooled off alot last night. So climbed into the stand around 5:30. At 7:30 i had a HUGE doe come in. First at 75 yard all the way down to 15. Doe keeps taking one step and puts her head down. Did this EVERY step. So i see my chance to time it right when her head is down and behind a tree. She goes to take the step, I go, starting to pull to full draw and she takes two steps this time and looks right at me and bolts. :(
    Maybe tomorrow will be better. Any tips what i did wrong here? Kinda bummed but theres always other days.

2. Yote

Yote Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    She could have heard a little noise that you didn't notice when you drew,could have caught the movement,could have been any of a number of reason.Maybe it just wasn't meant to be that time around.It happens.Just part of bowhuntin I reckon.

Hang in there and it'll happen.:D

3. Reaper

Reaper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks bud!

4. HeadinNorth

HeadinNorth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This stuff happens keep your head up.

5. big_quillie

big_quillie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If it makes you feel any better I didn't recover my first deer with a bow. I got a clean pass through and good blood trail but as most rookie bow hunters do I didn't wait and I pushed her. I felt horrible. But that was then and this is now and I have learned from my mistakes. I wish you better luck next time brother.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  6. Reaper

Reaper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the enlightening comments guys! Going to get back out there this evening.