World Series

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Jim_IV, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good news for the Cards if they can force a game 7.

2. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, this rain should prove beneficial for the cards. Should doesn't mean anything unless there's something behind it. We can hope.

3. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    WOW is all I can say. Hate to say it but it would be beneficial for the cardinals if holiday isn't able to go in game 7.

4. Vendetta

Dislikes Received:
    How huge was that game! Amazing how it played out at the end.

5. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Reggie Jackson....Carlton Fisk....Joe Carter....and now David Freese....Legends are made in October....

Regardless of the outcome for Game 7, tonight will go down as one of the greatest games in MLB history. Lance Berkman needs props too....dude save us so many times throughout the season, including tonight.

Looks like I will be forking over the cash for a ticket tomorrow night thought!!!!!

I was there in '06 when they won, and there is nothing like seeing a World Series winner in STL. I said I would give anything to be in the same spot again, and here I am tomorrow night right by the right field foul pole!!!!

Carp gets the ball against Harrison in Game 7. Win or Lose, this Cardinal team will go down as one of the most endearing teams, in franchise history.

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely. I watched some of the game early on, and they brought up a trivia question about how many Game 6's of World Series ended with a homerun. Don't you know it...this one did, too. So cool to see these moments (and I'm not a fan of either team).

7. Rory/MO

Dislikes Received:
    It's incredible what the Cardinals have overcome throughout the season andast night. The last half of that game was HARD to watch, but you had to stay glued to the tv. I'd say the momentum is back in the Cards' favor, especially with Carp on the hill.

8. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a good feeling about tonight.

The Cards don't know what it means to quit this year. It should be a hell of a game.

I am so pumped about going tonight. I can hardly focus at work this morning.

9. Vendetta

Dislikes Received:
    Regardless of who wins, it's been a great series. Last night was like a perfect storm... Scoring 2 in back to back innings, with 2 outs and 2 strikes, to stay alive... pretty awesome. I have to work tonight, how much you want to bet that all the ICU patients are watching the game tonight (whether they want to or not)....

10. Jim_IV

Jim_IV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow. That was gut wrenching as a life long Ranger fan, so close. But it's not over yet. Should be an awesome game tonight. Lots of respect for the Cards, crazy comeback

11. Vendetta

Dislikes Received:
    And that's all she wrote folks! What a series, what a season for the Cards. This has to be one of the most storybook seasons in MLB. What a comeback! Congrats to the Cardinals and David Freese (the hometown hero). Congrats on the penant Texas, better luck next year.

12. Rory/MO

Dislikes Received:
    Wow is about all that can be said about the entire season for the Cards.

13. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    In 2006, I was lucky enough to be given a free ticket to the winning game of the World Series. After the game, my friend turned to me and asked me what I thought, and I just said "I'm just letting this sink in, I may never be here in person for something like this again". After that night, I said if I was given the opportunity to get back for a potential game winner, I would do everything I could to do it.

As great as 2006 was, it can't even come close to describing the atmosphere at Busch Stadium on Friday night. It was no doubt worth every penny spent on the ticket. My mom is a life long Cards fan, and just as crazy about them as I am. She didn't have to think twice about going either, so we headed down early Friday afternoon for St. Louis. My sister runs a small business, making signs, trophies, decals, etc. My mom had a simple request that she wanted her to make her a sign, that had something to do with David Freese, and that it would get on T.V. She made her a large double sided sign. One side said TEXAS FORECAST: DEEP FREESE, while the other read FREESE OUT TEXAS.

As we walk to the stadium, we notice ESPN's Baseball Tonight is broadcasting across the street from Busch. They see my mom's sign, grab her, and pull us to the front of the crowd. She is holding the Freese sign behind Curt Schilling. You can't see her, but it's her underneath the sign lol. This wouldn't be the last time the sign was seen on T.V. though....

[​IMG]

While the game itself wasn't nearly as thrilling as Game 6 was, the entire stadium was ready to errupt on any type of thing that went the Cardinals way. David Freese's first at bat and foul territory snag, Allen Craig's homer and later in the game his HR robbing catch, and Yadi putting the Birds up 6-2 are all moments that brought everyone in Busch to their feet. When the final out was recorded, the entire city of St. Louis let out a roar that is probably still echoing somewhere downtown.

If there was one regret from '06, it was that I didn't have a camera. I was not going to make the same mistake this time around...

Carpenter deals to Elvis Andrus, as Kinsler slips on a stolen base attempt in the first inning.

[​IMG]

The man of the 2011 Postseason: David Freese. A Postseason record for most RBI's and total bases. This is right before he rips a double in the gap to tie the game up 2-2.

[​IMG]

Jason Motte takes a slow run into the mound before the ninth inning as "Lose Yourself" roars in the background. This is probably the loudest the stadium got, other than when they finally won it. 3 outs away, all the fans were ready...

[​IMG]

Motte toes the rubber to start the ninth, and to secure the 11th World Series title for the Cardinals.

[​IMG]

And as David Murphy flies out to Allen Craig in left, let the celebration begin. As the game ended, a steady rain started falling on the field. A Rangers fan sitting behind me said "The tears of Texas are falling from the sky".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once again, one of the many reasons the Cardinals won it all. David Freese was nothing short of spectacular during the postseason. In 2007, when I heard the Cardinals had traded away my favorite player at the time, Jim Edmonds, I was a little ticked at first. I remember thinking all we got back for Jimmy was an older Single-A third basemen, who was from St. Louis, and grew up a Cardinals fan. It was nothing more than a salary dump in my eyes at that time. 4 years later, I stand corrected.

[​IMG]

And during his MVP speech, as chants of M-V-FREESE fill the stadium, picture texts start rolling into me that the sign was back on T.V. I watched it when I got home on my DVR, it was only just for a few seconds, but hey I'm not complaining. This time I'm holding the sign, and my mom is to my right.

[​IMG]

And finally, the scoreboard says it all. 6-2, a Cards winner!

[​IMG]

The party didn't stop there either. All of downtown St. Louis was a sea of red. I met up with some friends who were watching the game at a bar. The whole city was crazy, traffic was a stand still, people were climbing on statues hanging Cardinals signs. We left a little after 3 in the morning, and the whole town was still full of fans running around.

I caught pieces of the parade today, and it looked like the whole town is still buzzing. Everyone counted this team out in August, and everyone counted them out against the Phillies, and then again during the NLCS with the Brewers, and finally a lot of fans thought it was over once we were down 3-2 in the World Series. Game 6 will forever be marked in World Series history, and David Freese's name will be too. The entire state of Texas may be having nightmares of Berkman, Craig, Freese, and Carpenter for awhile though.

Hats off to the Rangers though. It was one of the greatest World Series ever to be played. With Harrison, Holland, and Ogando, you will have a strong core to your rotation for years to come. They will get their World Series, and it will probably be sooner rather than later.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  14. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    Greatest manager in St. Louis history, and IMO the history of the game, is walking out on top. The single greatest season he has ever managed.

A few names popping up are Terry Francona, Joe Madden, Bobby Valentine, and Jose Oquendo.

Hopefully Duncan will stay around, and it doesn't help with keeping Pujols this year, and Molina next.

15. Vendetta

Dislikes Received:
    Our only hope of Pujols staying was if Tony stayed. Don't you think Mark will get the chance? I see them approaching him, personally. Not to say he's the best fit, I just see that happening.

16. Rory/MO

Dislikes Received:
    Pujols will stay unless they bring in someone that he doesn't get along with, which will not happen. Pujols is going to make this decision just as much as Mozeliak I would say. This is going to be an interesting offseason.

17. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    If it is a matter of Pujols staying or not, then give Oquendo the job right now.

I don't believe that DeWitt and Mo will play it like that though. To hire a coach based on the opinion of one player is ridiculous (and yes even if that player is one of the greatest ever).

My gut does tell me Oquendo or Francona get the job, but I don't think either are the first option. The first phone call HAS to go out to Joe Maddon. He has expressed interest in one day managing the Cards, he goes about business similar to TLR, and he is a hell of a coach. Only question is at what cost would the Rays let him go for.

Dunc is also interested in staying for his final season at the least too. It would be hard for me to see a coach coming in here and wanting to clean house on Duncan, McCay, Oquendo, and Pettini, and replace them with guys he felt were better.

18. Rory/MO

Dislikes Received:
    I think with Oquendo being with TLR that long he has picked up some things and may be a decent fit. I don't see Francona fitting very well, simply because of the division and league he has been managing in since '04. Totally different baseball than what's been played by the Cardinals, and most of the NL for so long. I'm excited to see who they bring in, or if Oquendo gets the job.

19. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I'm not a fan of Francona's either. The Cardinal brass sounds like they want someone with some experience though.

I would be fine with Oquendo. All the players love him, he's a great fundamentals coach, but he doesn't have much managing experience outscide of the World Baseball Classic.

20. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a die hard Cardinal fan and I don't get the Oquendo love. He's interviewed for several other jobs, including the Mets. None offered him the job. More qualified candidates will line up for this job. As far as Pujols, I let him have input after he signs a contract, not before. It's time to face reality, he's not a Cardinal right now, so he should have no say in who they hire.

I think Maddon would be a good fit, but I think Francona gets the job.