Deer and Deer Hunting Charlie Alsheimer's Rut Prediction 2011

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Bowhunter_IL_BT, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Bowhunter_IL_BT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you out there have heard of this? Charlie Alsheimer of Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine did a longitudinal study with Biologist Wayne Laroche from Va. several years ago about predicting the peak rut. The peak rut occurs differently each year. Why is this the case??? There is something else driving the peak rut to occur besides just falling temps and shortening of daylength (photoperiod). They concluded that the Moon has a direct effect on how and when the peak rut will occur. Charlie found that the rut starts right around the second full moon of the Autumn (Fall) Equinox. The fall equinox occurred on Sept. 21 this year with the first full moon occurring on Oct.12. The second full moon (Rutting Moon)(Seeking Phase) occurs on Nov.10 which is two weeks away from now. Charlie mentions that this is the starter gun with full moon in the sky bucks start to seek. He mentions that the best time to hunt is 7-10 days after the rutting moon. This would mean the peak rut or (Chasing Phase) would be Nov.17-20 around gun season this year. He thinks the Chasing Phase is the best because the bucks are ramped up covering more ground than ever and testosterone hormones at its highest. The Breeding Phase would occur sometime after Thanksgiving. This is by far the most difficult time to hunt with th Bucks being locked down on the does. During this phase a doe may not move more than 50-100 yards the entire day with the Buck breeding her.

Charlie also mentioned that the rut has several supressors. The obvious ones are warmer temperatures, lack of food sources, increased human pressure, and heavy precipitation. Warmer temps will definetly be one of the biggest threats to make hunters not see quality deer. Bucks will do more chasing at night. An important note is that Charlie mentions the Rutting Moon is the starter gun and this whole ordeal is a process and not a 100 yard dash. I am a believer in this theory cause it is backed by scientific evidence with a long study. With all the comments on here with everyone thinking that it is still early. The next few weeks starting to pick up sounds about right. Wanted to see everyones thoughts and opinions about this.

2. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The timing is just perfect for opening day of gun season in NY. November 19 should be a day to remember I hope.

3. 2xlung5h0t

2xlung5h0t Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yeah I've had a couple little bucks come in to the doe bleat can already down here. Give it about a week and the bigger ones will start responding. CAN"T WAIT!!

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've had the priviledge of meeting and hearing Charlie speak more than once....that man knows his stuff. I've read every single book the man has written and would say everyone should read them as well!

5. USmcBowman

USmcBowman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe I am missing something.....but is this only good for one region? I mean you can't go by this chart in Ohio the same as you can in south Georgia, right?

7. USmcBowman

USmcBowman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is above 35th latitude. The chart I posted applies to you in Ohio. I am in WV.

Semper Fi !

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  8. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Dislikes Received:

I forgot to mention the difference between Northern and Southern zones. The dates I mentioned were for the Northern zone.

9. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    idk i sure hope it kicks in soon tho cause this has been one slow and rainy october and i wanna see some freaking bone! over the past week i have called in two smaller bucks and i have seen the big ones in with the does recently. lets hope this cold spell gets em goin a bit.

10. liwhitetail

liwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you can say that again!

11. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here in IL Nov 12th is supposed to be the day of all days to be in stand all day. However, my wife planned a trip to Memphis for some RNR with good friends. I'll be sure to drink my sorrows away that long weekend and be sober up by Monday 14th. Dis guy will be in the stand fow show!

12. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  13. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Dislikes Received:

I could imagine how many road kills they get out in PA this time of the year. I saw a lot of road kills in the summer let alone the fall out there. It maybe that Alsheimer's theory has a lot to do with buck movement, but of course the actual breeding and conception depends on when those does come into estrus.