Help With Scrapes!!

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Illinoishunter102, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hi there everyone, Im completely new to this forum and I see that the feedback on every post here is always helpful so I figured Id pose a question on scrapes that i still cant decide on how to handle. Basically what I need guidance on his scrape hunting. This past weekend I was walking a small block of timber that I have access to hunt on and I happened to stumble upon 2 scrapes, one about 2-3 ft in width and another next to it about a foot wide. This is the first time I have seen scrapes in these woods and its making be pretty anxious. What I want to know is how to hunt these, if hunt them at all because I know that scrape hunting has left people coming home with a tag burning their pocket. One more thing I want to mention is that I have a scent dripper from tinks and the power scrape sent, should I pull this out? Will it be too late to use them? If I do use these scents should they be applied onto the existing scrape or should I create another one? So any tips and information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Flooper888

Flooper888 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would suggest creating a new scrape of your own, but it's really your choice. Putting a mock scrape in an area doesn't guarantee anything, it only increases your odds of having a buck come on by your stand when you're hunting. Some other great things to do are place a camera in front of your scrapes and see if there is some serious activity around them. If you see a lot of bucks stopping by the scrapes, you know you're in business, if not then try another method. It's really a chance game when it comes to scrapes... Other things you can do are use some scent attractants like Tink's Scent Bombs or anything of that sort. Always raises your odds. Hope this helps

:tu:

3. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Flooper, put a trail cam on there and see what kind of activity its getting. Where I hunt alot of the bucks that revisit the scrapes are usually hitting them again at night. So i really do not hunt the scrapes but basically concentrate on that area knowing bucks are around!!!When the rut is happening spray some doe in estrus in there and you can see or hear some crazy stuff. Last year I did this early in the rut and a buck came in about a half hour before shooting light and absolutely tore the area to pieces.

4. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just made two mock scrapes and within a day I had fresh tracks on them. Now is the time to make a mock scrape or apply scent to an already made scrape. Eliminate excess exposure to human odor when near your mock scrape or buck scrape, this could tip the deer off. A trail-cam on these scrapes is a great idea. I set mine out on my mock scrapes in search for daytime big buck activity. Additionally, I have heard from several viable sources that bucks can often be patterned by their visits to buck scrapes or mock scrapes. So there is possibility that if you see a buck frequently visiting a scrape during a certain time period, then the likelihood of him visiting again is very high. Hopefully you get some buck activity. Goodluck happy hunting!

5. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Bowhunter_IL_BT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First off are there any overhang licking branches near the scrapes ?? This is critical because its the most important piece to the scrape and if there are there is a good chance they will be active ones. I have experience hunting off scrapes and I have killed one once with a mock scrape I made. I have lots of footage with an old wildlife eye video camera. I had a spot where bucks made the same scrape year after year. I had 8 different bucks using the same scrape one season. These are hard to find but when you do its a gold mine. I have found majority of the mature bucks visited the scrape at night. Ones that came by during the day often were smaller ones. Scrape hunting is hit or miss but this is the time of the year to hunt off of them. Once the chasing phase begins around 2nd week of November scrapes will be almost useless cause they are out chasing and dont care about scrapes. However you can come back to them closer to Thanksgiving. They can revisit scrapes later towards the post rut.

I would recommend if you have a licking branch to place your scent dripper on that scrape and id put wildlife reasearch center active scrape on it. Its a mixture of doe and buck urine. Make sure you wear rubber gloves and rubber boots. If there is no licking branch you can make your own and tie it to the nearest tree. If there is a branch id also use some type of forehead gland scent and place it on that branch. You can put a mock scrape of your own in, but I think if you keep your scent down it may be wise to try to pretend your another buck invading the scrapes of an alpha buck. If you use a camera try to get a no flash or IR since they tend to spend some time on the scrapes.

IMO I think its worth a try to hunt off them for the next few weeks but then focus on pinch point funnels. Majority of the time your odds of getting a small buck are better than a nice buck on scrapes. Deer are unpredictable so you never know. Keep me posted

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  6. Jake Siegle

Jake Siegle Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If it was me i would put a stand or blind and put the dripper in another place near it like 10 yards away and hunt it periodicly not to much and dont make to much noise doing it and good luck.

7. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everybody for the tips and hints. Im looking forward to setting up a camera and making a mock scrape. And Bowhunter_IL_BT there is an over hanging pine branch, (this is all within a patch of pine woods) and i could tell some of the needles were missing off of the branch.

8. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i shot a 130" off of a scrape the day before halloween last year and i plan on hunting predominantely scrapes for the remainder of pre rut. The trick is getting your camera up so you know what kind of bucks are using your scrape and what time they are using the scrape. Like said above the mature bucks will use the scrape mostly in the night but with scents like doe estrous and grunting you may catch their attention and bring them in earlier. The only advantage of hunting a scrape is that you know exactly where they will be its just a case of when will they be there. i put my camera up on the scrape i shot my buck off of last year and im getting roughly 15 photos a day which is pretty good activity. If your not going to hunt directly over the scrape try putting some doe estrous in the scrape then using a drag rag with doe estrous on it trailing it to your treestand. This way you dont have to give up hunting where a buck may be crossing but you will also bring a "horned up" buck barreling right into your lap if they visit the scrape and smell it. goodluck!

9. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Bowhunter_IL_BT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Id get your set up done asap cause you still need a few days for most part for the buck to get conditioned or used to your scrape. My gut feeling is if you have bedding areas near by that mornings will be the likely time the buck will visit it. I seen a big buck once about 5 years ago check a scrape around 9:30 am but that is rare. Im talking at first light leading back to bed. Once the seeking phase starts I think are your best odds of him checking them or your scrape. Either way either the first or last half hour of daylight I think. Like I mentioned before I would pretend I was an alpha buck trying to take over the existing scrape already made esp since you have the licking branch already there. Use some forehead gland scent on that branch.

Archery Addict I like your idea of running a scnet trail from the scrapes leading to the treestand. If you think that the predominant winds usually are away from the scrapes or away from where the deer will come in at then Id get within 20 yards of the scrapes. Don't be surprised if you do not get a mature deer to come to the scrape though and check during daylight hours. In my years of experience your twice as likely to shoot a small buck over them.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011