Exit Strategy Problems

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by muzzyman88, Oct 19, 2011.

1. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't let on to any here about a buck I've been watching and buying my time on, waiting for the right time to get in there after him. Well, I believe, provided any unforeseen circumstances, I'm going to go after him this Saturday. I've watched this deer from a distance now for the past week and he's been fairly consistent in where he enters a large field. He's had a little 6 with him each evening now. My guess on this buck is somewhere in the 150" range btw.

Anyway, here is my dilemma. I really only have one option for entering the woods in the vicinity of where this buck has been entering the field. This is from the field itself. Can't come in from above or side as most of the area directly above these fields are known bedding areas. Our deer typically don't go far to bed and feed. So, I'm going to have to get in there from the fields, which isn't a problem. The problem is, how I get out of there at night. I really don't have much of a choice but to come down into the field to get back to the truck. This will blow everything out of the fields at dusk. I really don't see any other way of getting out of there.

I know this set is a "swinging for the fence" type of sit this weekend and I realize doing so is going to spook some deer getting out. Do you think its worth it? My only other option is to hunt the location in the AM, coming in from above while the deer our in the fields. I can then exit out the bottom, into the fields late morning and probably not spook deer. But I have no idea where this buck is entering in the AM and it would be a crap shoot type of sit.

Thoughts?

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    This has been a problem for lots of people over the years, myself included. Generally speaking I'll break some branches or shine my light into the field to spook the deer off before climbing down. I know others will let out some coyote calls/barks which usually does the trick as well. I believe the key is not to really let them see you in your tree (or climbing down from it) when you exit. You want to create just enough of a disturbance to get them to leave for a bit, then sneak out as quickly as you can.

Is it possible to sneak down and get as close to your truck as possible in the woodline before crossing the field?

3. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Justin brings up some good points. Also I would wait until it is pitch black out there before I got down. They seem more comfortable after it's dark out. and may not all spook out but give you some distance.

4. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is it possible for someone to drive out in the field and scare the deer away and maybe even pick you up?

5. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is your stand hung already or are you using a portable one? Noise could be a factor there.

I'm still fairly new to the whitetail game, but if it were me and I was hunting that caliber of a buck I would wait out until well after dark. Give the deer plenty of time in the field once darkness sets in. I don't think they will take you as a hunter an hour or so after last light as long as you aren't making a ton of noise.

That would be my strategy, good luck to you this weekend! I hope it works out well for you!

6. cabinkeeper

cabinkeeper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    camp out in that tree 24-7 till u kill him then u can go home.take a big pee bottle...

7. stupid_rope

stupid_rope Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. Carry a predator call and wait until after dark. Then, take your time

Good luck with this guy!

8. sevi316

sevi316 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    x2

Its the weekend what else are you going to do!:moose:

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sit well after dark no matter what you decide to do once getting down. This will as some have said, cause the deer to atleast question what it is moving across the field...if possible I'd do this on a night I know is going to have cloud cover or barely any moonlight...will be that much darker.

10. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, I will be slipping right on the treeline, but its almost impossible to slip along inside it. Way too think and narly for that. I'll be toting my climber in here, I know the tree I need to be in, its about 75yards off the field so climbing down in the dark and not spooking the deer in the field shouldn't be an issue. Its just the field part that I am debating on what to do.

I never really thought of having someone drive up through the field at dark to get me. That's an awesome idea actually. Hmmm.

This buck really has me stoked up for Saturday. I have a really good bead on this buck, probably the best idea on a deer I've had in a long time. He's using a particular area that is really making it easy on me in terms of where to setup, etc. Not saying its a sure thing, as it never is, but I feel this is my best chance at a big animal like this.

11. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can you exist through the woods? You had mentioned the idea of enter through the woods in the AM to not disturb the deer in field for a morning hunt. Perhaps you should try sneaking out of the back door after dark. Once the buck is in the field, then who cares if you scare any of the deer in the woods. I mean, your there for one particular deer, who cares what the other deer think. lol, but seriously.

if that’s not an option, then try this proven method.

how to sneak out of the stand.JPG

You see the deer don't even notice the cow suit.

p.s. I highly recommend leaving the bow bell at home.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  12. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    It's somewhat hard to explain but I'll do my best. If I were to exit through the woods, I'd need to go up the mountain, maybe a 1/2 mile then another 4 miles around the area I hunted to get back to my truck. The area I'm going into, we call the choppins. Deer usually either bed in here or pass through here from higher on the mountain to get to the fields each evening. Deer pour out of this area into the fields each evening right up to and after dark, with the deer coming from higher up the mountain or over the ridge not showing up until late, well after dark. I'd most likely be spooking a lot of deer, I mean a lot of deer. This area, we only hunt the fringes of and keep it mostly off limits to hunting to form a "sanctuary" if you will, that they feel secure in. This is a big reason why we keep so many deer on our property. My uncle (landowner) doesn't want anyone going through the middle of it without good reason, like recovering a deer.

I agree, I don't really care what the other deer think. But at the same time, I don't want to really burn this area as I plan to go back in there if I don't connect this weekend. It's sort of a catch 22 really.

I believe if I slip out of there well after dark and slip just inside the woodline, I can keep the disturbance to a minimum. I hope....

13. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your exit plan is to drag him outa' that field... isn't it?

14. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received: