Against or For Crossbows?

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by TexasOutdoorsman, Oct 12, 2011.

1. masonjar

masonjar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You might want to double check that crossbows are legal during archery only season. i know Texas only allowed them during general season a few years back, but I've heard rumors that they were trying to change that.

2. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Its not the Weapon that you hold in your Hand that commands the Warrior Spirit,Its the desire in ones Heart.Go get that Crossbow and enjoy yourself.If your friends dont like it, then you dont need them for friends anyway.Good Hunting!

3. LilSiman/OH

LilSiman/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dude... I know exactly where your coming from! My buddy injured his shoulder playing football. He's 15 and he had the same situation and we all gave him a hard time. He bought a crossbow over the summer and now he still can't use his compound and uses the crossbow. I say go and get a crossbow! I would do the same if I had too. Its worth it.

4. TexasOutdoorsman

TexasOutdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    masonjar: Yeah Im pretty sure its legal... I know a LOT of hunters in Tx that use crossbows during archery season...

5. woody1956

woody1956 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    xbows

I think you should hunt with a xbow & dont give a flip what other people think, to each his own.

6. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing wrong with xbows. Most people that harp about it being unfair have never used one. Theres a whole different set of advantages and disadvantages and most of the things people come off with as advantageous really aren't. Basically in my experience with my dad there are 2 advantages. Repeatability and you don't have to hold the draw weight. Everything else the with the xbow is either even (yardage, lethality) or a disadvantage (way heavier and more awkward than a compound, and walking through the woods with one on your back sucks). If you do use one make sure you get up in a stand with it and get used to it before season. They are much larger and awkward in a stand than a compound.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Indiana where CBs will be legal for all next year...can't say I'm a fan but in this case most definitely do it. If you physically can't do the compound bow get a crossbow like many have said. My problem is with all the gun hunters around me now gearing up with the latest crossbow, scopes and can simply spend one day at the range sighting in their scope and bam done...60 yards piece o cake...sorry not my liking for bow hunting. Also greatest quote a guy told me, "I'm so excited for bow season now next year, since now us gun hunters will be able to hunt it too" said while speaking of crossbows....

8. cabinkeeper

cabinkeeper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Young Man!
    You use what u like.Don't worry what u'r(so called)friends say or do.
    In 10 years u won't see any of them.
    Here in Pennsylvania,the only ppl that could use x-bows were handicapped,That was several yrs ago.Now its legal for everyone to use a x-bow through early archery,rifle,and late archery seasons.
    Be u'r own man!!!!! If u'r friends can't support you,then,their not really u'r friends...now r they?
    Good hunting,be safe,Have a blast.
    U'll learn that friends are nothing but a ''negative''cash flow problem...lol

9. ACLSRN52

ACLSRN52 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am for it and have endorsed them for the last 30 yrs and lobbied to get a legal season in New York State.

Crossbows are extremely misunderstood - and I feel are a great option for those who are experiencing elbow or shoulder injuries, the elderly, women, teenagers, and those who lack the time or dedication to practice with their stick bows adequately to become proficient with their bows.

Ohio and Canada have shown no increase or issues with poaching with crossbows (the .22 cal rifle is still the preferred weapon of choice for the poacher) and such states have not shown the crossbow to affect the harvest rate significantly versus the stick bows, etc.

The crossbow is no faster than a stick bow - only easier to master in the hands of a new archer. It is not a gun - does not have the velocity or knock down power as a gun, and the trajectory is no different than ANY of the stick bows that I have ever owned. It is STILL a short range weapon, kills the say way as a stick bow does - and I feel that the archer should be able to decide for themselves their choice of bows honestly.

I am a former New York State Dept of Environmental Conservation employee and have had many discussions with our Wildlife Biologists concerning the legalization of crossbows, etc. I do not see a whole lot of difference between a $500 compound bow today, machined risers, releases, carbon arrows, bow sights, cams, performance, etc than the crossbow honestly - and honestly I would rather see a bowhunter who is not able to practice enuff every week with their stick bow to become proficient with it - and would much rather see them afield with a crossbow if this is the case. I feel the sport would be much better-served by crossbow toting archers versus a compound bow if they can't shot their bows 2-3x per week and get good at it - and I think that with lessening numbers of bowhunters afield these days and hunting in-general not being passed onto our youth and/or folks going out their hunting these days due to time and work restraints, physical issues, etc - it would be a great asset to the sport. We need to attract more hunters these days to the sport, and keep our aging hunters afield as long as possible. I am a RN and I know many bowhunters who have had to give up the sport they love because of injuries to their shoulders, elbows, etc. making drawing a compound a easy task.

Juts my $.02 on the issue - I respect those who disagree with me on this issue - but after having tested many models or crossbows over varying price ranges - the feel that they only offer the advantage of being easier to shoot with less practice time - and that might be a good thing fr our sport so that we see less wounded deer from hunters toting stick bows that can't honestly hit the broadside of a barn - no matter HOW hard they try or practice!

10. ACLSRN52

ACLSRN52 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with this posting. I think all of us need to respect others' choices in hunting styles and implements and that we are ALL out there to enjoy the outdoors, hopefully harvest some wild game and put some good, nutritious food on the table while helping to control the deer population and herd.

Also, if people are REALLY true 'Friends' - then they will respect YOUR choice of style and method to hunt with - after all - we are all in this great sport together.

11. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It allows me to continue to bow hunt with my grandfather. Anything that allows that is ok in my book!

12. violinjim

violinjim Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Dude! The Concert Master of the Philadelphia Orchestra hunts with a crossbow. Dare anyone of your buddies to call him names. This dude has one of the most highly respected, most difficult, and most sought after job in the world. And on the weekends he hunts deer and hog in New Jersey. Up here in New Yawk, we can only hunt crossbow during gun season so I'm not really that interested, yet. I don't know David's decision to go with crossbow and not archery but I can tell you as a violinist myself, my rotator-cuff's are suspect to injury but working out to avoid this is also difficult because it tightens up the muscles we use to play the instrument.
    Long and short of it, hunt with whatever you are able and stay away from people that e would belittle you for this. They're not worth your time.

Jim

13. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you have a disability that prevents you from using a bow, then a crossbow is the solution. Who cares what others say. You'd rather use a bow, but can't. Not your fault.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

14. stanleybows

stanleybows Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see anything wrong with using crossbows, are they any worse than guns? Or if you really want to impress others, go for a long bow instead of a modern compound. That'll show em.

:sheep:

15. RLSMITH

RLSMITH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great Post

I'f you are in a stand and kill a deer at 20 yards with a arrow or a bolt the deer won't know the difference just hunters thinking they know what is best for everybody if you hate a crossbow don't use it but leave everybody
    else alone if they want to.

16. RLSMITH

RLSMITH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wanted to also say that I agree with deerguy 100%

17. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think crossbows are just fine. i have nothing wrong with them, and anyone who does should act more mature. there will always be poachers and people who misuse their gear. i hate to think about it, let alone say it but there are plenty of bow hunters who hunt very unethically. there are videos on youtube of people taking shots over 60 yards away, guys hitting the back quarters etc. how ever 95% of bow hunters don't act like this... there are a lot of gun hunters who hunt with good ethics, and there is a small percentage who doesn't.. its the same with crossbows, a few % takes long shots because they have a scope and think they can, or shoot threw branches etc. but most of them don't. most crossbow hunters are older men and women and mainly just love to be in the outdoors. i love my father very much and its a crossbow that allows me to still hunt with him on the weekends.

18. Jag

Jag Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bad Shoulder

My 70 YO dad came over with his bow with a drawloc on it. I know what your thinking, why would'nt he just go to a crossbow? I asked him the same question. He said the ones he shot last week were to heavy, made to much noise and they were to much trouble to use. He did not like that he had to shoot the bow at the end of the hunt. The new Inline drawloc was on his Mathews he bought 5 years ago and after shootin it I found it was none of that. This is my answer to my shoulder problem. If know someone who can't draw their bow, here you go! www.drawloc.com it all right there for only $189.00. A lot less than a crossbow.

in-line draw-loc.jpg

19. stanleybows

stanleybows Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I checked out the site for the Inline drawloc and am wondering how it stacks up against a crossbow with a built-in crank cocking device in terms of F.P.S.?

20. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In case of health issues I have no problem with folks using them but I am againest the use of crossbows by the general population in archery seasons if they are capable of using archery equipment. Crossbows are not archery equipment; A seahorse is not a horse.