Early Indiana Rut?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by TLitten, Oct 6, 2011.

1. TLitten

TLitten Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So on my 150 acre lot I have noticed a lot of scrapes around.. While in my stand waiting for deer to come in I have also noticed 3 bucks "trailing" up.

Is there anyone else experiencing this? Trust me i'm very excited and not complaining, but I've heard Indiana can be pretty early so I was just wondering.

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its possible , we had two ruts last year , the last week of October and the third week of December .

3. TLitten

TLitten Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just noticed we both have "Southern Indiana" as our location.. What county are you in? Would be great to hear its happening else where in the Hoosier state.

4. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in central Indiana (Shelbyville) and there's nothing going on up here. Most of the farmers still don't have the corn cut and all the activity I've seen is still at night.

I'll be down in Rising Sun the last weekend of the month so hopefully the rut is in full swing down there then!

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in Clark County , 15 miles north of Louisville , straight up interstate 65 a podunk town called Memphis , between Sellersburg and Scottsburg

6. Bronson

Bronson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its kind of like when we were teenaged boys. We were chasing but the does just werent ready!

7. sevi316

sevi316 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am in Northern Indiana (Elkhart County) and activity is picking up... However like Indy said the corn is still up and causing problems... Once that corn is gone (Farmers say maybe this week yet) strap in because hunting should be great!!!

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Northern Indiana (Elkhart County) as well here....just arrowed a great P&Y buck, but like sevi said pre-rut is maybe just starting to trickle in with a few early cycle does but that's it.

9. sevi316

sevi316 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where the hell did you find a P&Y Buck in Elkhart County?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! LOL Congrats man!!! Pics Please!.... And directions to your hunting woods!!

I am hunting the east side of Goshen... Shot a 120's buck last year and that was the biggest one I have seen around these parts

10. cabinkeeper

cabinkeeper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    remember sometimes the older does go into heat earlier than the majority of the herd.One or three of them on the loose in any area will get the ''boyz''all fired up!!!!!!
    Watch the down wind side of doe trails,bucks will parallel said trails and scent check the whole bunch of those b*^ches.....Put u'r stand just below that area,u know what I'm getting at....

11. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah man, we're going to need some pics of that thing.

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Okay okay...after scoring it myself it appears it may fall just shy of P&Y, but well worth the tag. I have however got two P&Y's from Elkhart County since 2002. (2002 & 2009)

Here's way back in 2002: (was my first buck and bow kill all in one)
    2002 buck.jpg

Here's the 2009 buck (best buck of my life so far):
    2009 buck.jpg

Here's this year's buck:
    2011 buck.jpg

I've taken a couple others that are between 110-125. I know a lot of 150+ bucks taken out of Elk. Co. just last year!

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Report from the field (Elkhart County...that's the very northern edge of IN):

My father went out and hunted a spot that is located between 5 acres of standing corn and a well known bedding area, the spot he was hunting has a swampy, thick marsh spot in the middle and he set up on the side closest to the bedding area with the corn on the other side of the marsh (we're talking a 10 acre parcel he's on in the middle).

Anyways he decided to just do a little still hunting on the ground in some ground cover/dead fall to see the movement on the property. Entered teh property at 4:30 and jumped 3 bedded does...he got to his spot, cleared the leaves, put his chair down and started getting situated and bam buck 20 yards from him. It wasn't a shooter, a great young 6 that we are hoping makes it (our personal property is a mere 1/4 mile away). The 6 had come out of the bedding area when the does he'd jumped ran into it...obviously he was looking to see if other bucks were present or if a hot doe was out there getting pushed. The buck went and inspected the beds (mere 15yards from my pops) and then decided to go back into the bedding area on the other side of the fence to the north where the does went. He hadn't even got his release on yet, and was just putting his ground bow holder in when a doe came out around the edge of the marsh from the corn...needless to say he had deer moving all around him all night. He had that same 6 and a small 4 or 5 come out and push does all around for what seemed like an hour. He never got a good shot at any of the does (except for the moment he was peeing and Limo, nickname we coined her, walked out)haha!

Needless to say boys the pre-rut is here! I gotta live it through you guys and my dad as I'm tagged out already, but man it looks like it's heating up.

*On his way into work he saw a great solid 8 pointer pushing a doe hard in a just picked corn field...nose down and mere 5 feet behind here on a rope.......IT'S HERE FELLAS!

14. Tsmith1992

Tsmith1992 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's definately here! Every buck I've seen this week has been chasing a doe. Lots of bucks cruising. Rattling has worked well for me. The big boys are coming outta hiding! Good luck fellas!

15. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It is on in Terre Haute, IN.

Had a buck all over a doe this evening, tried to
    stop him but he wasn't coming off her. Had 2 other bucks in after grunting on the same path.

Probably the most incredible hunt of my life.

No dead deer.

Blessed!

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Holy old thread batman!!!

17. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lol fired it back up for you... Not sure that means "early Indiana rut" in fact it should maybe read "2 Years Late Rut Indiana" sounds about right.

Anyway, slow morning not anything like what I encountered last night.