Scent/deer calls

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Buckpocalypse, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Buckpocalypse

Buckpocalypse Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know this probbly asked quite a bit, but what is the best way to cover up/ eliminate your scent? I have heard baking soda works, is that true?

Just to combined this into one thread, I was also wanting to ask about deer calls. What is the best kind of deer call to have and what is the best way to use it?

Sorry for all the questions haha. I'm just trying to do so some research here. Thanks

2. Flooper888

Flooper888 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great questions! Scent and calling techniques are vital for successful hunting. I use the cheap scent eliminators that you can buy at academy for $5.00 a bottle! they work just as well as the brand name scent eliminators that are over twice as much! Spray down your clothes before you head out to hunt with them and that should eliminate scent. Next step is to use a scent that can attract deer. My favorite scent is Tinks' #69 Doe In Estrus Scent(click on it for link) it works pretty well. I like using a grunt call. Any grunt call will work they're basically all the same. Just give it a few light grunts when a buck is near and that will draw his attention. Works great for when you have a deer thats about to walk off as well and you need to stop him; done that many times. Hope this helps!

3. Buckpocalypse

Buckpocalypse Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For the calls, what if your just trying to call deer that you cant see? Or are calls not used this way

4. jwjfarms

jwjfarms Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have always had luck using a rattling call to bring in deer. If you have a set of sheds they are the best rattle call you can get but I also have a rattle bag made by primos that also works pretty good. The closer to the rut the more luck you will have with it.

5. Buckpocalypse

Buckpocalypse Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a single shed, I'll probably saw it in half and make it into a nice rattle.

6. homesteadhunter

homesteadhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am going on my first south carolina this weekend, and was wondering alot of the same......

I have gone to great measure to eliminate human scent.Even bouth a scent blocker suit ...

But how much is too much estrous or urine?

7. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You can apply estrous or buck urine on cotton balls or scent swabs/sticks. These hold a sufficient amount of scent for the wind to pick up and have the scent travel a decent distance. If you're hunting the rut, have estrous or buck urine scent swabs/sticks set up for the wind to push the scent into a bedding area or heavily used traveling route. I have had success with both. Two or three is usually the number of swabs/sticks I usually use on one hunt. An additional recommendation would be to use a Buck Bomb. My brother had a nice eight pointer run straight to his Buck Bomb only 30 minutes into his hunt. Hopefully my advice helps ya out. Goodluck happy hunting!

8. cabinkeeper

cabinkeeper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If u use real antlers for rattling.Soak them in water for a week before u use them.It will give them a more fresh sound...so I've read....I love baking soda.I'll put it in an old sock and ''beat''myself'' senseless before dressing......lol
    U can make u'r own homemade scent spray,with peroxide,baking soda,and a spritz of no scent shampoo/soap

9. Buckpocalypse

Buckpocalypse Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked some buck bomb up as I was walking around and saw it at the store along with some scentless shampoo/clothing wash. I'll try it out this weekend.

I also got a grunting call, any recommendations on techneques for using it?