not happy about my first time bow hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by DaBoss07, Oct 18, 2011.

1. DaBoss07

DaBoss07 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So i went bow hunting with my father in-law last week from Weds night to Saturday night In southern IL. (family owns alot of land down there) We are newbies to this bow hunting game but i thought it would not be so bad after spend hours watching the pursuit channel, reading magazines, and watching youtube videos, and shooting the bow. We get down there Saturday afternoon and decide to do some scouting with are bows. we see lots of tracks and bedding spots. We even come across a doe and a fawn that were too far out to shot at (70 yards) that busted us after we tried not to move for 30 min. (I can only stay still so long) Well i also managed to spoke a bed buck that ran like lightning when i was looking into bushes for movement on the edge of the woods . (seeing something jump up and take off like lightning really gets your heart going and can also make pants alittle muddy when you don't see it coming) Well too make a long story short that doe must have told every deer around that we were in town because WE DIDN'T EVEN SEE ANY THE REST OF THE TIME THERE. No movement in the woods, nothing afar off (did even get to take a shot at all) well to cap off the hunt we tried a spot 7 miles over and the only thing that cross my path was a skunk. Now that i was really defeated mentally and physically it is time to go home without even fire one off at a deer. And then as if i hadn't had enough of realized how bad of a hunter i must be; i pull out of my driveway last night get two house down the street only to have a doe jump out in front of me and walk like nothing happen. All i have to say is game on.

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Chin up, you'll learn a lot and fast the first few years.

Lesson 1: It doesn't come as easy as it looks on the Pursuit Channel :tu:

3. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Funny post. Not funny about the not seeing deer. Hopefully the next time out is better. Weather or crops being in will make a difference with movement. I wasn't out this last weekend, but my dad was and he only saw 2 all day which is one of the lowest number day I can remember either of us being out. It was very windy. I believe that most deer will hunker down somewhere with windy conditions.

Good luck next trip out. The deer at home would have probably set me off too.

4. DaBoss07

DaBoss07 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    yeah not doing so good hunting (had same success rate two years ago during gun season) but i have learn alot and will keep at it. Hopefully i can utter the sweet words of tango down later this year or next year. Maybe getting the smoker out before going is bad karma

5. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you don't know much and you hunt on your own, it will be a slow learning process. If you can possibly get involved or involve a wise hunter, you will learn much faster. Listen and remember from the wise old hunter. If you can learn vicariously, you will be better off. If you have to learn by making mistakes it takes a lot longer...plus it sucks to make mistakes while hunting - it's hard enough to harvest an old buck without making mistakes.

If it was that easy, it wouldn't be soooo much fun. I can't wait until I get out again.

6. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to bowhunting. It's a chess game and takes a lot of patience. You are going to make mistakes as you go learn from them and move on. If you have questions this is a good place to get them answered. It's a long season enjoy the time in the woods.

7. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    have you tried sitting by one of these?

deer crossing.jpg

8. violinjim

violinjim Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You had a helluva better weekend than I. After procuring the weekend away from the wife and kids, I got to deal with 50 mph wind gusts, steady rain and not even a chance to go out until Sunday AM. The highlight of the weekend was watching some turkeys fly from their roost at 7:30. Didn't see anything resembling a deer. But I did get to be up in a stand for the first time with a bow and discovered I was wearing the wrong outfit. (don't lecture me about shooting in your gear first, it has been 80 and suddenly wham, 40. Not any chance to wear the gear in the field.) So I spent the day not seeing anything, wandering a little hoping to kick something out from where I know they bed down, cutting limbs at my buddy's stand to clear some shooting lanes and watching the Bills lose. There will be other weekends.
    My first two seasons of gun were unsuccessful, I've been 2 for 3 the past 3 years. The middle one I didn't see a thing. Last year I saw a buck and dozens of doe. You just never know. Be patient and enjoy the time outdoors away from the screen, work, kids, distractions, stress, pollution, and just about all the ills life has to throw at you.

Jim

9. kwelder

kwelder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know what it's like, you think it's going to be easy after watching all the shows and video's, when I went out on my first bow hunt I had a nice 8 walk under my stand gave me the 15 yrd shot. I pulled, the arrow went 2 ft over it's back, the string slapped my arm and i dropped my Bow. I told myself if I'm going to do this I need to get it going. Now after 2 yrs things are looking up.

10. PCOutfitters

PCOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first hunt i shot a doe 15 minutes into my hunt, and that's what got me hooked for life. Just like 130Woodman said, its a chess game. Trust me when i say there have been PLENTY of times where I've sat upwards of 5 hours and haven't seen a thing. like the saying goes, "that's why its called hunting, not killing." and contrary to what is shown on most hunting shows, you don't shoot a 140"+ every time you sit in the stand. If it really were that easy, the whole element of being a challenge and having to take some calculated risks now and then would be gone. Personally, if that's how it was I would probably lose interest because the feeling you get after shooting any deer wouldn't be so special and take away what i consider the best part of this awesome sport, IMHO.

11. bobbertl72

bobbertl72 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The past 5 years I've hunted over 100 days a year. Each year I shot 2 to 3 deer. Hunting is a lot of patience and skill you gain by just being out there in the woods, no one can teach it. Every person is different in their tactics. One thing is for certain though. If you have any type of question about anything bow hunting, then this is THE place to go. Welcome to the world of bow hunting, and good luck!

12. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Theres an idea! :lmao:

13. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We've all been there. I have spooked plenty of deer and then haven't seen anything for a long time. Just keep at it and when you finally start seeing deer you'll know why we all this this beautiful sport.

14. dntusthtrwd

dntusthtrwd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    don't let it get you down

don't worry man, you were only out there one weekend. this is my 3rd season bowhunting and i have shot anything. i've only seen maybe a handful of deer and none of the bucks that were shooters. but i still get just as excited everytime i got out. it doesn't matter whether you see a deer or not at lease you get to hang out in the woods away from the rest of the world and enjoy nature.

Just keep getting out there and bowhunting. i'm hoping tomorrow will be the 1st time i take a deer with a bow!

15. cabinkeeper

cabinkeeper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get a climber stand and get up in the air.learn to stay put...Then u'll see critters.....get a good quality harness,learn to use both.
    I think moving around is a waste of time and energy.They will see/smell you well before u see them.if u'r lucky u'll see a white flag!
    Good hunting to u...have a blast...be careful...God bless!

16. STICK SLINGER

STICK SLINGER Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Don't get frustrated. Time is your friend. Study up and learn as much as you can. I am on my third year hunting and finally got my first bow kill. It wasn't my first shot I ever took though. Missing feels worse than not shooting but you learn a lot more. Keep your chin up and be prepared because bow hunting is very addictive.

17. united12

united12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It could be worse. You could be sitting in the deserts of Iraq instead of the woods, like myself. I can promise you won't see any deer over here. :) You'll get your chance eventually, man. My first time out with a bow, I had a nice 8 point less than 20 yards away. I missed that thing so bad that it took 2 people 20 minutes of searching to find the arrow. Lol. I probably shot close to 2 and a half feet over his back. The sad part is that I spent an hour the day before shooting from about that exact range and couldn't miss! Like stick slinger said, it feels worse to miss than not shooting. And like several other people have said, you just gotta stick with it. There's something about bowhunting that you just can't get with a firearm. The nerves, the excitement, the reward is so much greater (for me at least).I'm not saying that hunting with a firearm isn't exciting as hell - It is. It's just not the same. Keep your head up. And good luck the rest of the season!

18. DaBoss07

DaBoss07 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the positive feedback. I love hearing that I'm not alone. One thing i do know is that I am hooked on hunting. And i had the time of my life; even though i wasn't able to bring one home. I know one thing for sure, and that is i will be out again and that me and the Pulaski woods have some unfinished business. Thank you all for the stories about your hunting success and failures, i can't get enough of hearing these.