Help settle a dispute

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by hoytuser, Oct 6, 2011.

?

Drag Rag, Boot Pads, or neither

1. Boot Pads

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Drag Rag

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. Neither

15 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. hoytuser

hoytuser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In the past, I have always used a drag rag on the way to my stand, with either doe or buck scent on it. This year I decided to try the boot pads, just to see how they work. I got some Code Blue estres doe scent to use. A buddy of mine claims he always has used fox scent on boot pads to cover his scent when walking in. Who is right? If I go with the boot pads, what do you do with them when you get to your stand?

2. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a drag line and then tie it to a tree limb. I would assume you'd do the same with boot pads. He's covering his scent, you're trying to attract deer. Neither are wrong. The line can get snagged at times, so boot pads win there, but my drag I made for $2, drag line wins there.

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you would see any difference if you didn't use anything at all.

4. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think a deer is just as repulsed by fox urine + human scent as he is human scent. Maybe not though.

I don't believe in cover scents (obviously). Maybe someone else can help.

5. JJHACK

JJHACK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Deer or any animal does not smell one item like a human. A human walking into a house where a pizza has been cooked will smell pizza.

An animal will smell each individual ingredient. You cannot "cover" scent anything from game. They can separate all the smells without a problem. How does a dog find dope in a zip lock back inside a can of coffee inside a hard side suitcase while he is trotting by? Tell me the clothing and coffee don't "cover scent" the dope! they even did this by spraying everything down with "scent killer spray". Then they wrapped it in a Scent lock jacket, the dog still nailed it every time.

6. Grits

Grits Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The only time I ever used scent on my boots I tied handkerchiefs around my boots. I then used a liberal amount of the doe scent and continued to put more scent on my boots as I made it to my stand. When I got to the stand I took off the handkerchiefs and threw them high in some bushes, just because I didn't know what else to do with them. 30 min later a deer came right under my stand looking for the smell. He was not on the side where I walked in. He was determined to find that doe scent and that was his down fall. He stood right beside that bush while I shot him. From then on I only put the scent out around my stand.

7. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I pick neither, the last thing I want is attention drawn to my entrance, exit or location.

8. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to be a big time user in doe scents during the rut. I actually killed a decent buck in '06 using Mrs. Doe Pee.

Over the years, I have begun seeing more deer by planning my entry trails better, and intercepting deer instead of trying to lure them in. I will rattle at times during the rut, and will use scent when using a decoy.

9. WIdeerSlayer

WIdeerSlayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use anything at all. Waste of my time and money.

10. Nalgi

Nalgi Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We are so insecure about our hunting skills

we get talked into buying crap we dont need!

Here is my acid test.....

Did Daniel Boone use it? If not, you don't need it either! Spend more time learning hunting skills rather than buying gimmics!

11. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with Gri22ly on this one kinda. Last year on November 4th (I think that was the date) I threw some Tinks doe pee on the bottom of my boots. I had just put a stand up 6 hours prior In this spot hunting a specific bucks bed that I figured I was 60 or so yards from. 20 minutes after being In stand (2 hours before dark) here he came from the bedding area I thought he was bedding In. This 160+ Inch 5.5 year old buck came by me at 12 yards but I couldn't shoot as It was too thick. He then decided to go behind me which would've been great being It was more open for shots. In the process of this he hit my walk In trail and locked up the brakes! Up and down his head went deciding what was up. I could tell he wasn't sure of the situation. This went on for a good 5 minutes and just like that he did a 180 and took a couple leaps directly away from me and then slowly walked away. Did he smell my scent on the walk In trail or did he react badly to the tinks on my boots? I honestly don't know for sure what to think. I tried to make damn sure I didn't touch anything with my clothing and hands on the way In to the stand. I had rubber boots on as well. I'm still bummed out on this bad experience.

12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I too say neither. I have had success during the rut using a drag rag with estrous scent, but I put it on the end of a stick and drag it several feet off to the side of my path. Last thing you really want is a deer nosing around your entrance tracks. But there really is no right answer here.