Climber Help ?!!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by turtle, Oct 6, 2011.

1. turtle

turtle Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys and girls, Allen hear to pick your brains again if you have a minute. I started hunting last year and I live to hunt now! I can't go 1 day without thinking about the seasons. Thanks to all of you folks I found a way to spend time with my 3 kids and pass down the knowledge you all have gave me. I truely thank you.
    Well for this post I need a couple of tips useing my climber. What I did was climb up and set the seat, then "HUGGED" the tree on the way down with the platform. I don't know if that's right but maybe I chose to wide a tree because I don't know if I can get back up there as quietly as needed come opening day with this "HUG" method.

Thanks! Sincerely,Turtle

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always take both parts with me, even if I'm coming back to the same tree. That hugging method sucks.

3. Southernboy

Southernboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope your joking.

Let me get this straight...you clibed up with your climber...set the seat part of the climber...then climbed back down the tree ,leaving the seat part up in the tree ?

If so...please do not take your children hunting quite yet....

SB

4. Southernboy

Southernboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What ?

If I'm getting what this conversation is about....I'm stunned if it is for real.

SB

5. liwhitetail

liwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    dont use the hug method that is incredibly dangerous.. i hope you were at leastttttt wearing a harness..

6. wis_bow_huntr

wis_bow_huntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Umm climbers are designed to be used together in sync....and usually done in one trip up the tree and one back down...you need to practice this method, also tie the top and bottom sections together and wear your harness....enough said.

7. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    HAHAHA! It's really not funny. But really? That's how you got down out of the tree? I had to read your post a few times to understand. Still trying to understand how your going to get up the tree to get the other half of your climber - you know the part with the seat?

Here's an idea - no matter what time of day you decide to hunt give yourself an extra hour than you normally would. That way you give the woods a chance to settle down by the time you do get up in the tree. Also, take your time getting up the tree - faster isn't always the quietest way. Just as going down the tree with the "hug method" isn't always the safest way out of the tree. I can sure think of better things to do with my time than that, you keep that up your not going to be "living" to hunt for very long...

8. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First Off if you are for real, NEVER use the HUG method! second wait there is no second :spam::confused::poke:

9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    OK, first of all, did your climber come with an instruction manual? If so, I suggest starting there and reading it. HAHA, this is a great post.

Hugging the tree sucks. I remember all too well, back in my Loggy Bayou days of shimmying up and down trees like that. Not for the faint of heart, thats for sure.

A two piece climber is designed to be used together, up and down the tree.

10. dj-skyy

dj-skyy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    whoa, that is pretty crazy!!.....YOUTUBE is your best friend guy! plenty of tutorials on there if you don't know how to work a climber....unless you're oldskool, I really can't imagine someone using just "1" part of the climber alone while hugging the tree all the way up....you'll be sweat'n up a storm by the time u reach your level...haha

11. turtle

turtle Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ha ha ha ! Wow don't hold back boys! lol I joined this site a day late but this is why I am here. I appreciate the tough love here
    and advice taken. The story is I got this stand used from e-bay( short on cash ) and it had no instructions with it so I called upon my cousin who has been hunting for 20 + years so I figured he knew how so I asked him. He said he didn't use climbers
    anymore but that is the way he told me to do it! I did have a harness on but it was no easy feet! Maybe the tree was to wide
    cause my arms barely made it around. I did get back up by way of hugging and come back down with both this time.

Lesson learned! Thanks guys for getting me back out of the woods safely this time! lol

P.S. Don't worry Southernboy the kids go with me in a Ladder stand!

12. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went out and bought me one of those Hi-visibility vest a few weeks ago. The damn thing dont work, I cant see no better when I put it on.

13. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wasn't trying to be critical of you, heck I had to watch youtube.com to figure it out and even then before I went hunting for the first time I had an experienced hunter that uses climbers talk me through it. It does take some practice and getting use to.

Be sure to bring a rope for your bow and any other extras that you want to have up with you in the stand. Not a good idea to try and carry those things up in the stand with you. For most situations you don't need any more than a 20 ft. rope - if you buy it from the store make sure you untangle it before you get out in the woods, kinda difficult to do in the dark... lol Learned that last weekend, the first time I ever used a climber in a hunting situation. The other thing that's good to get is hooks to screw into the tree above your stand, you can hang your bow, quiver, bag on them so they are out of the way.

14. liwhitetail

liwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the most important thing when using a climber is to step on the end of the foot platform and put all your weight on the seat platform as well i practically jump on it to get a rock hard secure job. good luck but most importantly be safe!

15. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    :lol: Hahahaha

16. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    look it up on you tube and find a tree in your yard and practice you dont want to go in opening day trying it out. i remember the first time i used one its pretty scarey but after you do it a bunch of times you trust leaning back on it more so it dg into the tree..your pretty lucky you didnt fall out of the tree the way u were doing it....but definitely practice sounds crazy but a telephone pole works the best!!!

17. turtle

turtle Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks again!

18. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey turtle, look at the bright side, now you'll be known on this site as "that guy". HAHA. Welcome to the boards. This is a great group here and most everyone just likes to give each other a friendly hard time.

19. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I feel ya man, the hugging method is mighty uncomfortable.

20. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe it! This guy is stringing us along. Just sitting here thinking of doing that seems impossible and very dangerous.