Wait it out or get busted

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by RATHER-B-BOWHUNTING, Oct 3, 2011.

1. RATHER-B-BOWHUNTING

RATHER-B-BOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So this past friday evening i was in my stand watching three bucks eat in my clover field, as sunset came they were still there, along with a small group of does. Its about twenty min past legal shooting hrs n i can still see them in the clover. Ranging 50 to 75 yds away.
    What do you do in this situation.try to sneak out and most likeley b busted, or wait it out in a tree.
    I decided to wait it out and not blow up my favorite stand. I tried to text my dad to run a atv out to clear the field. But no response.
    I ended up waiting 1.5 hrs before being able to get out undetected...it paid off for me, the following day the bachelor pack came back but they also brought the buck i shot sat

What would u do?

2. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ugh tough call, really would depend on how well I knew the area and if I had anything else going on that night - decisions are all about variables. Given that I know the land and don't have anything better to do I probably would have waited it out or made my way down very slowly - it's a matter of taking my time and making little noise, it can be done! If it turned completely dark and I couldn't see them I'd have probably just came down and at that point whatever happens happens - they will come back eventually.

3. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would have waited it out as well, no sense in educating the deer without an arrow doing the educating!

4. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on how sneaky you are.....i would of left....I've been in that sittuation and it ended up ok

5. BOWSPEC

BOWSPEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I can't come up with a way to get out undetected with deer in the field...I'll have someone cruise by it in a vehicle if that is an option and let that bump them out for a couple of minutes, or, like last weekend, I picked up a handfull of walnuts and took them with me to my tree that evening and when the sun went down and the does were still in the field I tossed a few out there, not too close to them, but just enough to give them a soft bump out of the field so I could leave....that never bothers them very much...they still come back every night. That is if waiting them out doesn't work....

6. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Exit stage left

7. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a coyote howl down loaded on my phone just for that situation

8. RATHER-B-BOWHUNTING

RATHER-B-BOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haha... I have it too, never once crossed my mind.
    Bang head

9. PCOutfitters

PCOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    couple years ago someone told me barking like a dog works. Ended up in a similar situation but with a doe and 2 fawns. so i barked and they all just looked at me like i was mildly handicapped :busted: but on a serious note, i avoid hunting the actual food plots themselves for that reason until rifle season. i usually try to put my stands 50 to 75yds back on the main trail leading to the plot. that way i can avoid getting into that pickle and its a much easier shot from 15 to 20yds rather than pushing it out to 40 or 50 when that freak nasty comes walking by at that distance and you know it might be your only shot at him all season.

10. NCBLAZER

NCBLAZER Newb

Dislikes Received:
    slingshots are made for these situations...silent departure from the sling, but enough noise to push them away. They have no idea where it came from....