Team 20 - Boneheads

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Sticknstringarchery, Aug 29, 2011.

1. huntalot

huntalot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nothing for me on opening weekend, slow start hope it will end the year with a bang

2. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys. Taking a break for a few weeks until the temps drop down here a little bit to get back into the stand. Wondered if any of you use any apps or sites for scouting. I've been experimenting with ScoutLook.com. We have began putting all of our stand sites on all of our hunting properties. After you have the stand sites located on the map there is a scent cone application that gives you the idea of where your scent will likely travel with that days weather forecast. You can access all of this on your smartphones when you're out in the field. Happy hunting fellas.

3. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Duck opener tomorrow. Then 5 hell weeks with work. Then to the big woods. I don't think I'm going to make it to the stand before Halloween.

4. WakeCow

WakeCow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a doe Saturday morning. So I guess that means we're on the board with 50? Will post pictures sometime this week.

5. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All right Nate !!!! Congrats on the doe !!

Tim

6. rednas5

Dislikes Received:
    Great job Nate! I'll get out there pretty soon for some nanny whacking....that sounds so wrong.

7. slimer2425

slimer2425 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    WV season opens up this Saturday. Can't wait to get in the woods.

8. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, sorry I haven't been around much. I got a PM from Stick, I thought I'd relay it all to you. He's still holding out!

Hunting so far=Not good but, trying
    Since I am saving my 1,000 post for my first bow deer, I thought I would update you on it since you are our team captain. If you want to update everyone else thats fine, if not I will wait till I arrow one. Heres my summary.

6 hunts and only seen deer on one and heard two blow tonight out of sight on sit #6. Sit 4 was this past Sat. and was the best so far. I had 10 deer within my range of 30yd. 9 within 22yd. I saw 5 fawn, 4 doe and a buck. 3 fawn were by themselves no momma showed. The 2 others were with momma that chased off another doe. Never had a good shot on momma. She stopped at 22yd facing me for a good 10 min. while her 2 fawn rumaged all around me. 2 doe came in before it was light enough to see my pins. I drew back on one but couldn't see my pins good enough to make a clean shot. The buck came running in. I drew expecting him to come by fast and me be able to stop him in front of me which would have been a 14yd clear shot then he stopped at his scrape and checked, scraped, licked his branch and took his deer time doing it all while facing me. By the time he was done and started to continue on in front of me I had been holding for about a minute. I grunted at him 3 times before he stopped on the other side of a tree and I took a shot through a hole in the branches. Lets just say holding at full draw for over a minute + shooting through a hole = a miss. He was a big boddied 2-3 year old with a wild looking 5 point rack. Maybe it was a blessing for the team though. I don't think he would have scored much over 100". If I see him again I believe I will still take him. He has a really neat looking rack and if he makes it to rifle season, he probably wont make it through it around here. All in all sit #4 was the most succesfull hunt I have evr had. 10 deer and not one busted me.

Just thought I would let someone on the team know how it was going. This Sat is looking good though. Temps in the mid to low 50's, high of just 76 and a front clearing out over night Friday night into Sat morning. Should make for a good hunt once again.

I hope everyones first hunts go better than mine have.

Doug

9. WakeCow

WakeCow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here she is. I put a nice shot on her she only went 30 yards before she fell over. Butchered and brought the trimmings into the locker in the afternoon should have brats by the weekend :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  10. rednas5

Dislikes Received:
    Saaawwweeettt. Boneheads off the schneid.

11. slimer2425

slimer2425 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good job WakeCow, thanks for getting us on the board. WV season opens this Saturday and the forecast is highs in the low 50s, slight chance of rain. Looks to be a great opening morning. The next day & a half of work can't go by fast enough.

12. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Damn Nate. Either u need to wear a hat or turn the flash off. Lol.

13. rpalt1

rpalt1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the late response.My name is Rich Placilla from Northport New York[Long Island] 47 years old and love whitetail hunting. My season is going to be limited this year due to a recent heart attack in late august but thank god i'm still here lol The doc says it won't be a problem for me to go in early november so I'll get at least one trip in before bow season ends This is my first time participating and I hope to contribute lol Good luck to all! Happy shooting

14. WakeCow

WakeCow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Damn you TeeJay! It was bad lighting!

15. rednas5

Dislikes Received:
    What's up Boneheads?! Haven't seen much activity on here as of late. Just curious if anybody has been out and about recently? I"m thinking about heading out tonight with this South wind. It's a little warmer than I would like but I have the itch to put down a doe.

16. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still swamped with work.

17. WakeCow

WakeCow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty busy working too and kind of waiting for the temps to drop a bit. Gonna get out Sat afternoon for sure.

18. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    im getting killed w. work right now as well!

19. rednas5

Dislikes Received:
    Went out tonight and had three does and a yearling buck milling around. The acorns were dropping like rain drops. I just interviewed for a supervisor position at ny company. If I get it, I'm afraid my hunting time will dramatically be reduced. Temps tonight were pretty warm and usually I wouldn't be out but with this job opportunity looming I thought it was worth a shot. Good luck Boneheads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

20. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Harvest it taking all my time. Apparently we are a team of workers !! LOL Not sure when I will get to hunt. Will give it heck when I do though !!!!! Boss is suppose to have something going on this weekend. Hopefully he goes to it and we get a day off but the corn is ready to go. Knowing him... we will be working.

Tim