Ever tried vanilla extract???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jbm367, Sep 29, 2011.

1. jbm367

jbm367 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im wondering if anyone has ever tried vanilla extract(where legal)?? Ive heard to spray it on the ground or on bushes and deer love it. I heard not to get the real vanilla extract because of the alcohol in it, but to use man made vanilla extract... Whats yalls opinion??

2. jbm367

jbm367 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When I say man made I mean artificial flavoring...

3. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe I should take my Memeres perfume out and try that! She better stay outta the woods!

4. jbm367

jbm367 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe I shouldve said experience instead of opinion...

5. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hoosier Daddy swears by it. I'll be trying it out Saturday. I've too heard lots of good things about using it. HD suggests getting it from the dollar store and mixes it with some cooking oil. The oil keeps it from being washed off during rain. I'll just use it straight encase it doesn't work. This way I don't have to worry about it still being there the next time I return. HD also indicated that he will put it in an old pocket size scent spray bottle and spray it behind him while he walks to his stand. It works for him, so I'm sure it will work for anyone. I meant to take some with me 3 weeks ago to spray in front of a camera to see what type of deer it attacks, but forgot it. Darn the luck! I'll just figure it out the old fashion way I guess.

6. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've tried it on a scent wick with no results... Yet. I'll try the spray bottle next.

7. Matt Long

Matt Long Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tried it this evening on a wick. WORKED! Brough does in (6), but unfortunatly i dont have any doe tags...

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks selfbros , all i can say is it has workrd for me for many years over 20 years to be exact , i have killed alot of deer that lached on to the scent and came right across the front of my stands , i have over 2000 pics from 4 cameras in 2 months this year and all i had out was Vanilla Extract then later on i mixed it with mashed corn ......Mixing it with vegetable oil or soybean oil will not take the smell away what so ever , what it does is repels the rain and stays there longer .....i am a firm believer in it and believe its the best attractant over anything else anyone is trying to sell on the market , and its cheap , you can buy a gallon jug at Sams Club for under $10.00 .

9. Chris Coleman

Chris Coleman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Very interesting......I might have to try this.

10. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was told years ago (talking late 70's early 80's) they used it to trap deer at LBL in Kentucky.
    Alot of us Bear hunters use it as a lure and or Cover scent
    Some of the older members on this site will remember a very successful Kansas Big Buck bowhunter Russell Hull, Hull had a product called Cover Up that was made with Vanilla Extract. He sold a lot of it during the 80's and like I said, He was very good at killing great deer.

Some hunters have great success with it, Personally I stoped using it for whitetails back in the 80's after a few bad experiences.

11. Pike OH

Pike OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I asked this same question a month ago, and was told to talk to hoosierdaddy. Well I did, and I would have to agree with him. I used pure extract, not artificial, mixed with veg oil as he said. I know my property well, in the north, towards a field, I have one of a few corn piles. I see these does hit the corn at the same exact time every evening (camera). Well, I set up about 45 yards off their travel route and sprayed some from their trail to my stand. All 11 of them left their trail and headed towards me. But in my opinion, as well as stated by other people, I think this is a mostly doe tactic.

12. 5575

5575 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using it for 20 years or so, and its not just for does. I've shot a couple 150+ class bucks that came into the vanilla. If you dont think it works spray it on some bushes and put up a trail cam!

13. Saltysakz

Saltysakz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty interesting conversation. I gusess the question still stands...extract or imitation vanilla(I've never heard of imitaion vanilla)?

Just read Pike's reply...sorry I didn't have my coffee yet! LOL

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  14. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry what i wrote above , i didnt mean Extract , i ment Imatation Vanilla thats what i've been using for some 20 years , I find the Imitation works the best , and its less expensive , Yes the Vanilla brings in Doe's after a while the Doe's are gonna bring some dudes with them

15. Ky/Jody

Ky/Jody Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've always heard about vanilla extract being good. But, I've never used it.

16. chickenmcnasty

chickenmcnasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So are you diluting or just using it straight in a spray bottle?

17. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I put some out of wicks but didn't see any deer. Can't say it didn't work because there weren't any deer in the area.

18. chickenmcnasty

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to resurrect this but i was curious about the mix rate? Gonna try some this weekend

19. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    75% Immitation Vanilla 25% Soy or Vege oil , that will do the trick ...........if you wanna get tricky try this , take a half gallon jug put in 3 ounces of amonia , 3 ounces of Immitation Vanilla and top it off with some distilled water , let it sit for about a week shaking it up once a day , spray it in your scrapes or mock scrapes .......there is a well known company not mentioning the name that uses a simillar to same mix that is there so called synthetic blend that people are paying alot of money for .....lol......and it works trust me , we all know that urine breaks down to amonia .

20. chickenmcnasty

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks a bunch. Much obliged