Who uses/doesn't use tree harnesses?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by HenriettasFinest, Sep 21, 2011.

1. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is really amazing that this topic even came up. With all the stories that you hear to think that anyone wouldn't wear a harness just doesn't make any sense. A few year back before information and stories were so readily available I somewhat understand but with the internet now and having access to so much info it just makes no sense.

2. MHSfootball86

MHSfootball86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunter safety system makes a product Here That you attach to the tree then tie off close to the ground or at the bottom of your ladder.
    You attach your harness to the D clip then slip a prussic knot up as you climb. When you get to the top you just stay connected to the rope that is hanging above your stand and it works like a treestrap also. I personally don't have any experience with this system but i looks like a great idea for the people who use ladder stands or a permanent hang ons.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  3. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I always wear a harness. For the first 5 years I hunted I did not wear one because I was "young and invincible" but soon you realize that you can get severely hurt and now I wear it religiously!

4. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unless your injuries would necessitate a visit to one of the emergency rooms I work for... I strongly recommend wearing a harness. I also recommend using a life line like MHSfootball posted.

5. Hoythews71

Hoythews71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive fallen once from 21 ft while wearing a harness. I had detached it and was getting ready to transfer over to my pegs and get down when a big gust of wind blew through. My stance in the stand was a little funky, and when the tree swayed, it put me off balance, and I fell right out. Luckily, I walked away, zero injuries. Scared the hell out of me though. I should get a lifeline so Im strapped in from the time my feet leave the ground, but I dont have enough money to outfit every tree with one, and I like to stay mobile, so I shift stand site quite a bit throughout the year.

Either way, Ill NEVER hunt out of a stand without a harness. Theres just way too many variables. Wind, feet slip on a wet platform, buck fever causes you to shake right out of the tree, fall asleep and start to lean, paying attention to a noise and not your balance, etc.

6. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have never used a harness. I have been thinking about it the past couple of years. I have a bunch of the ones that come with the tree stands. Last night when I was shooting, from a tree stand, I put one on. I don't like how much it restricts my movement. Good news - I am going to purchase a good harness this weekend. What one do you guys recommend? I'm 6'2" and 200lbs.

7. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'll always recommend a Muddy harness -> gomuddy.com

8. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get One!!!

I am extremely fortunate to be able to tell you to go get one!!! I thought the same thing until about 3 years ago when I fell 20 feet and landed on my back. The stand I was in was a climber and I was facing the tree when two welds broke loose and backwards I went. I thought I was finished b/c the fall seemed like it took forever!! Please do not play around with this issue. Everyone needs to wear one. You may never need it but all it takes is that one time....

9. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been deer hunting out of trees for at least 20 some years, and I’d never used a harness once in those 20 years; however, I've fallen out of plenty of trees and walked away. (It is the way of the Ninja!) With that said, I used to only hunt no higher than 15 feet off the ground. Last year, after reading forums on here suggesting 20 feet, It only took one day hunting out of that 20 ft stand without a harness, and you bet your ace that I was wearing one the next hunt. This year my #1 purchase on my 2011 list was a nice harness. I purchased the Gorilla something or another. It comes with a Linesmen belt, tree strap, and other nifty items that may make your harness experience enjoyable.
    I grew up deer hunting with my brothers and our dad. Dad grow up very poor (grandpa was Indian...feather not dot) and hunting out of self made deer stands 12 feet high with plenty of room to dance in. Also those stands had rails all the way around, so you would have to be doing some serious rain dancing to fall out. I Never used them until last year, but I enjoy my new harness and will make it my top priority to utilize it every opportunity I have to deer hunt.
    Once I had a child (last year) I no longer look at life with that “Whatever” attitude. My son deserves the best and a dad at his best. A dad that will pass down traditions, similar to the dads before him. I take safety serious now and hope everyone would exercise my theories. Good luck and BE SAFE!
    This has been a message from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter- day Saints: but not really!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  10. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    :whip:HenriettasFinest <<< For even thinking about not wearing one! I was 20 yards from my son that was in a ladder stand when he was 12 years old. I seen him accidently step off the front of the plat form. Was I glad he had a harness on ??????????????? I would have hated myself if he had hit the ground. Damit wear one its not that hard to take the 1 minute to put it on!

I have one now haha after reading everything what could it hurt \
    Thank you​

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  11. rtaylor

rtaylor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been tree stand hunting for 17 years and have only fallen once. I have never used a harness before but I probably will this year. As far as risk goes hunting and possibly falling from a treestand is the least risky thing I will do but either way it will only take a couple of minutes and a little aggrevation to wear my harness.