The real team 26 thread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by dmen, Aug 29, 2011.

1. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Keep practicing, Team 26, and someday you will choke that chicken.

2. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Opener is tomorrow morning for us here in Minnesota. I'll be sitting in a stand come shooting time.

I've been wound up all day, this must be what it's like to be on 'roids.

3. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck everyone, i am heading to the dominican republic for some r&r with the wife for a few days, then when i get back i will start to get a little more serious on my hunting.

4. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had my first sit this morning. It was real quiet minus the squirrels and when my my quiver fell out of the tree. Hopefully tomorrow goes a little smoother!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    About the same here Chris. Saw tons of wildlife, just no deer. I've got this feeling they're all nocturnal right now. As I was driving to my spot, I saw deer crossing roads and that was about two hours before shooting time.

Last night I went to a spot that I knew had deer in it, but I didn't see a single one, and I could see three quarters of the lanes they use for travel. Just not my day I guess. Gonna head back out tomorrow night and see if I can't get a little more lucky.

6. LiveToHunt

LiveToHunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well sat in three out of my five local stands this past weekend and didn't see a single deer. Let's hope the weather gets a little more steady and kills off the mosquitos. Or maybe I'll remember to bring my therm-a-cell. Back out Wednesday high temp only in the 60's.

7. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heading back out tonight. Been a lot of pressure in the public land I hunt, but hopefully the weather gets the deer moving around a little bit more tonight.

Let's also hope that the small game hunters aren't walking around shooting 12 gauges and .22's in my direction tonight.

8. lamboicon

lamboicon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck. I wish I was hunting right now. I'll be checking cams tonight.

9. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Any luck Ryan?
    I'm stuck in Chicago for work tonight. Had to pass Cabelas without stopping in. However, sam adams oktoberfest is on tap and delicious.

10. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still waiting around for October 1st here as well. I really hope I'm ready for the season opener. This past week I started feeling kinda crappy and thought that I was having another flare up of tonsillitis. However, I went in for a mono test this past Friday and got a call today saying that it came back positive. From what I've heard it can take 2-3 weeks to get back to normal from it so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Right now my throat is absolutely killing me and I can only stay awake for a few hours at a time. Good luck to everyone who's season has already started.

11. LiveToHunt

Dislikes Received:
    Get well Brandon, hopefully your a two week recovery. Bigstick any good last night?

12. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Feel better Brandon!

So last night after class I pull into my driveway and pull off to the right to shine my lights into a field that isn't on the property I live on but right next door. I see a new Buck in the field that looked like a 10 point pushing 130". My problem is trying to figure out where I can try to set up to get a shot at him. I have no idea how he is getting on that property.

My landlord has a trail cut through the woods at the edge of this property and a high fence separates the two properties but that could get me close to where they are coming into that field.

My problem is I jumped a few does last time I went down that trail because they bed right off the edge.

Any thoughts? Ill try to post a screen shot of the layout of the property.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

13. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Deciding to go out after work during the week was a great idea. Unfortunately, a lot of little things didn't go right and I wasn't able to seal the deal.

My buddy is a diesel mechanic and he had to grab a quick shower before we left so we left later than I wanted to. Then, we hiked in farther than normal and basically did a quick scout and set up. My buddy is also borrowing some sticks from me and I had to hand them up to him so he could get set up. By the time I was able to get free and look for a tree, the only ones that looked good were going to require some trimming and we were losing daylight. So I made the decision to hang my treestand low on a tree behind a bush. I figured the deer would be coming out of the North and would pass my buddy first and would give him the shot (we're trying to bust his bowhunting cherry) but they came out of the South instead and got within about 10 yards from me before they spotted me.

I stayed absolutely still and they stood there for about 5 minutes before finally turning and running about 10-15 yards. They stayed in that spot for awhile and I tried to get stood up so I could get a shot on them, but they just spooked again when I moved my feet.

If I had had the time to get into a tree, there would have been at least one dead deer last night. Those are the breaks though.

My buddy wants to go straight back out there again tonight, but I'm thinking I'd rather let the spot cool down again before we head back out there.

14. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get well soon Brandon. All though I know your dying for October 1st, if it was me I would be more worried about being back and 100% by the time October 20th rolls around. I know it sucks, but getting healthy for the rut would be my main concern.

I think we should all takes does for Brandon asap!!! haha

Get better soon man!

15. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get well soon Brandon, we need ya bud!

Going back out tonight to see if I can't close the deal on one of those doe I saw Monday night or anything else that might happen through my area. I"ll let you know if I got lucky!

16. LiveToHunt

Dislikes Received:
    Well made it out last night to a stand that I hadn't sat on yet. Hang it about 10 days ago and trimed up some shooting lanes. So climb up got all my gear ready, take a look to my left side shooting lane and see that some limbs on a down fall are in the lane about 24-25 yards out. Next thing to happen cell phone rings, forgot to shut off ringer. So about 30 minutes pass and see some movement to my left, can't hear because it was windy. A animal lays down about 30 yards away and then a little more movement, but this time I could see it was a deer and it to lays down a bit closer. So ten minutes or so pass by and see more movement and this time about 22 yards and its a doe. Stops eat to look up at me and we have who going to move first contest. She moved first. She walked to my south which is where my left side lane is and stop behide a couple big trees. Then she walks behide the down fall and stops at 28 yards looking away and I say to myself you can theard that arrow between the limbs. So take the shoot and hit a limb or the doe ducked my arrow because my arrow went right over her back. Clean miss anyway and only cost me one $13 rage sticke in a large oak tree. The limbs where sawed down about ten minutes later. Will sit that stand again next week.

17. twofaceempire@hotmail.com

[email protected] Newb

Dislikes Received:
    now only if oyu guys would just learn to shoot a bow i think you guys would have a better chance of winning this freindly comp!! !:cry:

18. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well that's random.

Ah that sucks man. Did that doe bolt out of there or slowly move away? Most of us still have 8 more days!

19. LiveToHunt

Dislikes Received:
    She bolted a few steps, then stood a few sec. Then ran off going whiiiff, whiiiff!!! Check my trail cam card form that stand an 8 pointer and a smaller buck with a palmion on one side of it's rake. Going to the cabin tonight to try and shoot a doe out of the double bull in the A.M..

20. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I made it back from the dominicn republic in one piece. Our regular season starts on thursday so i will be able to get out more frequently around the house. i have a decent 8 point in th area that I would possibly shoot so we will see. i know its getting close for everyone else whose season has not started.