Who uses/doesn't use tree harnesses?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by HenriettasFinest, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Archie

Archie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A fall restraint WILL save your life. nuff said.

2. polaris754

polaris754 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    im sorry i dont want to read about the 3 year old hunter who didnt have a harness on that cant werk any more nor hunt GET A DAMN HARNESS!!!!!! TREES R FOR LEAVES AND BIRDS if a man thinks he can do it better and deify gravity without a negiative outcome WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN , and its almost always broke !!!!! get a harness please

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. jakeratt

jakeratt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I never go out with out my harness after I fell climbing into my stand. landing on a fence does not feel so great. My HSS is the best thing since sliced bread. I love the new tree spider and can't wait to use it this season

4. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I fell about 16 feet and landed on my back while hanging a stand back in 2003. I always wore a harness but not when hanging sets, luckily all I had was the wind knocked out of me. These days I used the lineman's belt with my hss harness or a Treehopper belt. I never hunt without a harness and I always used a lineman's belt when hanging new stands. I got lucky once, no reason to get lucky twice;)

5. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    EVERY TIME! are you willing to give up hunting for the rest of your life because you broke your spine in a 20 ft fall? It happens EVERY year! Safety vests are more comfortable now than ever and you can carry everything you need in them. SO there is no reason NOT to wear one.

6. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I caught onto this thread late and almost couldn't believe my eyes reading the topic. Take the advice from everyone on here, they won't steer you wrong. Wear the harness! Not worth any of the risks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. HenriettasFinest

HenriettasFinest Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have one now haha after reading everything what could it hurt

8. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Smart move :tu:

I definitely use mine every time I'm in a tree. You just never know...

9. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you came around because It's not worth the risk. Good luck this season!

10. HenriettasFinest

HenriettasFinest Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the input! I prolly wouldn't have gotten one, but my uncle just gave me one today setting some feeders and stuff up said it might come in handy! Guess he may be creeping around on here somewhere!

11. Bronson

Bronson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a buddy who never wore his ballistic vest on duty. "Too cumbersome, too hot, uncomfortable...". He's still a buddy although I'll have to wait until I get to heaven to see him again. Stop the bulls___ excuses and wear a harness. If not for you, for your family and friends.

12. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to see you finally came to your senses.

13. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always wear a harness, eventhough they can be a pain in the ass, but they atleast save my ass. I have a question: how many of you guys use some sort of safety system on the climb up? I never have, they aren't affordable to put in all of my stands. Am I making a mistake? Or is the important part just getting strapped in when I get up there?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

14. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The results in these harness threads get better every year. We used to see more guys chime in about how a harness isn't necessary. I would rather forget my bow, than a harness.

I am currently in physical therapy because of plantar fasciitis. There is another gentleman there at the same time, and the subject of hunting comes up. I eventually find out he is in PT because he fell out of a treestand 8' high. Shattered his ankle, broke 2 ribs, and punctured a lung. He had 3 surgeries to repair his ankle which includes screws to put it back together. The fall occurred last November and he has been in therapy since April. He has about 50% of the strength back in that leg and ankle almost a year later, but he's getting better.

The physical therapist said he has about 2 patients a year as a result of treestand falls. Some times its while hanging a stand, some while climbing, some as a result of treestand/chain/strap fail, and some that just flat out fall.

Wear your god damn harness!

15. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Harness should be the most important piece of equipment you own. It makes sure you make it home at the end of your hunt.

16. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am also a version of physical therapist (actually occupational therapist) who focuses on the upper extremities. I have definitely had my share of people who have fallen out of treestands for one reason or another, but the one common denominator has been that they were NOT wearing a safety harnass.

I apparently have not practiced what I preach 'cause historically I would NOT wear my harness when I use my climber as I am nearly completely encapsulated, but not this year. This year my harness is on at all time before I grab my bow or gun.

17. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wear mine everytime: Up, down, and while in the tree. A suggestion I have, is to make sure to get a good one. Get one that's so comfortable that you really don't know you're wearing it, that way you wear it everytime.

18. EricZ

EricZ Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I'm using a climber I always strap in for the climb up, and move the strap as I go up. The most dangerous part of using a climber is the climb up or the climb down. I had the platform of my climber slip and fall to the ground last year, scared the **** out of me and could only imagine what would have happened if I wasn't strapped in.

19. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like wearing a harness because then I can relaxes and not worry about where the edge of the platform is etc.
    I also wear a seat belt when I drive.

If not about yourself then think about the ones who love you and don't want to be pushing you around in a wheelchair and changing you diapers.

20. roberts021

roberts021 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i use mine when i climb up and down in my climber.What about a ladder stand i hook in once i get up there it is a 16 footer does any one else use it when going up a ladder stand.Just havent thought of a good way to do it,