Bow falling while aiming

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ohsobad_chevy, Sep 17, 2011.

1. totem6

totem6 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice!

I totally agree! I am definitely a drop down shooter -- I start my pin at the TOP of the target and let it descend to the vitals or bullseye of the target.

2. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Target panic for sure. I've had it too. Essentially it's all in your mind. I know it sounds odd but basically everyone will have to fight it.
    There are a few cures, you can get a back tension release. I've seen people who fight it by knocking an arrow, drawing back, and then letting down after they are on target, without taking the shot.

Personally, I bought a back tension release and figured out I don't need it. If you want it I'll sell it to you.
    This is because, like I said it's all mental. If I see that I am starting to do that, I'll take a couple extra seconds before I take my next shot and tell myself that I'm starting to have target panic and that I need to relax and take my time. Once I am relaxed and come to terms that I'm doing it, I can draw and take my time and get back to the bullseye.

3. gshooter new-b

gshooter new-b Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree frantic I find I shoot much better with my buddy ,with the extra time between rounds and also he has been at it for a lot longer ,and corrects my mistakes I can't see .makes for much better practice for me,I do find shooting solo I tend to rush things.

4. cabinkeeper

cabinkeeper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot 3 arrows walk slowly to u'r target,retreve u'r arrows and walk back to u'r bow.Repeat.
    When it gets close to season opener.I'll only shoot one arrow with BH.then wait a few hours then repeat.

5. southokiedraw

southokiedraw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    2x that

6. NCBLAZER

NCBLAZER Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot every day, not so much too practice, but because I enjoy it. I have multiple targets set up in the backyard and I simply cannot sit on my back deck without slinging some carbon at em!
    On the weekends my buddies come over and we shoot the bows & guns - yeah, I am a redneck.
    What I have done in the past to get beyond pin aiming is to draw...hold...go top to bottom (slowly)...and then side to side on a target....then settle in and make the shot. This will help strengthen the proper muscles and give you better form for bringing your pin to the exact point every time.

7. ohsobad_chevy

ohsobad_chevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will try them out, fellas.

Thanks for the help.